Windows 10 Windows 10 sign in: "You'll need the internet for this"

gotdurt

This morning I went to log into my PCs (I have 2 machines with a KVM switch), and one of them won't let me sign in, saying "You'll need the internet for this"...

What I've tried:
  • I switched the USB wireless adapter from the working machine and restarted
  • I moved the wifi adapter to other USB ports, restarting each time
  • Tried using the start up repair tool (it said it couldn't fix the issue, but didn't say what the issue was)
  • Tried booting in Safe Mode: I got to (what would be) the login screen, but without a login option, only the "ease of access" and "power" icons... so no Safe Mode...?
Obviously there is no reason to need an internet connection to use Windows, but how can I get in?

Here are some steps to help you address the issue with the "You'll need the internet for this" message preventing you from logging in to your Windows PC:

1. Check Network Settings:
- Confirm that your network adapter is enabled and properly connected.
- If using a wireless connection, ensure that the Wi-Fi signal is strong and stable.

2. Use Offline Credentials:
- Try signing in with offline credentials if you have set up a local account.
- On the login screen, click on the "Sign-in options" and see if you have the option to sign in offline.

3. Enable Safe Mode:
- Restart your PC and press F8 or Shift + F8 repeatedly to access the Advanced Boot Options menu.
- From there, enter Safe Mode, which starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services.

4. Access Safe Mode with Networking:
- If possible, boot into Safe Mode with Networking to check network settings without full startup programs running.
- In Safe Mode, check for any changes or errors related to network connections.

5. System Restore:
- You can try using System Restore to revert your system to a previous point when it was working correctly.
- Boot into the Advanced Boot Options and choose "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "System Restore" to initiate the process.

6. Utilize System Repair Options:
- If you have a Windows installation media or recovery drive, you can access repair options, including Startup Repair and System Restore, to fix the issue.

7. Run DISM/SFC:
- In the Command Prompt in the Recovery Options, you can run DISM and SFC scans to repair any corrupted system files causing the login issue.

Try these steps to see if you can successfully log in to your Windows PC without encountering the internet connection issue. Let me know if you need further assistance or encounter any challenges during the troubleshooting process.

Back