Windows 10 TP Build 10122

Paul Simpson

People app and Music preview app not opening on this build is there any fixes out there yet?

The people app opens then closes in about 2 seconds.
the Music preview app dose nothing at all when clicked on.

Tried un-pinning and re-pinning to start but just the same.

If these apps don't work yet why are they being displayed in the start menu.

The current build suck's in my opinion. The Music & Video previews work on mine, though.
The People app hasn't worked for 3 builds now.
The right side of my start menu, since upgrading to this build is now plain black, without any icon's.
Windows 10 has gone downhill since the 99** build's.
If thing's keep getting worse, I'll be sticking with 8.1 Pro w/Media Center. At least it's usable and sli work's in it.
SLI doesn't work in 10 and it's definitely a Microsoft issue, as nVidia released certified driver's on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Paul, folks are having different experiences with Windows 10. Part of that might be how the install was done, what devices you have on your system and what drivers are being used.

On my system, the People App does open then close a few seconds later. I have never used it so no experience. The Music Preview seems to run fine starting from the App list or when pinned to the Start Screen.

You might check the Event Viewer and see if you are getting any error or warnings when the problems occur. Possibly some process is not running as it should be or is crashing when trying to run. If you have not done a clean install, you might try that.

But you can see differences when brkkab says his SLI does not work, but mine is now working and I can run Surround on my three monitors and the Custom Resolution option even works... Quite a bit of improvement, but it appears Microsoft still has a way to go on the Display quality.

There you go! Different experiences, The people App works 100% for me (ver 10122)

Dave, is there anything you know of to get those Apps to work? Do you need a live account of some type set up and not just be logged into a Microsoft account? My Calendar App also just closes, but again, I don't normally use them.

You may have a point there. By custom and habit, I only log in with a "Live" account. But this is, of course, also a Microsoft account. This automatically fetches things such as my contacts (people). The downside is it also sets up most of the install choices as I had them before. Not entirely satisfactory, if I wish to experiment e little at the time of installation.

Capture.PNG

The People app has had bugs since the builds changed to 10*** build numbers. It used to be that Mail, Calendar & People all had the bug. When all 3 had the bug, there was a administrative PowerShell command to uninstall them and then redownload them from the Store and they all worked then.
They've fixed Mail & Calendar, but not People.
As far as SLI, I only have one monitor. It will say it's on, when it isn't. They'll be some sort of error message in Nvidia Control Panel below where it show's enabled.
3DMark Advanced also doesn't show it enabled. I really believe it's a Microsoft bug in 10, as Nvidia released non-beta drivers the day before The Witcher 3 was released.

It also really appear's that recently Microsoft is more interested in adding new feature's to 10 than they are in fixing bug's first, that shouldn't exist, before adding more feature's that add additional bug's.
Here's proof open up the Store in 10, have it check for updates. I guarantee it will find updates for pre-installed Microsoft modern app's. You click on the download button and it show's them downloading and installing. Close the Store and reopen it again. Have it check for updates again. It find's the same updates again. It basically did nothing. It really downloaded and installed nothing.
The Store beta fails to check for updates at this point.
This doesn't happen in Windows 8.1's Store.
I truly believe this is due to Vista/7/8/8.1 using the 6*** based kernel and 10 using the new 10*** based kernel.
What other software that we regularly use isn't going to work with this new 10*** kernel ?
I'll bet a lot of program's won't work for at least a year or more.
Personally, I can't spend any serious time in 10, I have to go into 8.1 to get anything done.
I'm not interested in the Music, Music Preview, Video or Video Preview app's.
Neither, the Music or Video app's compare to WMP, WMC, VLC, PowerDVD, etc.
No sound enhancements, etc.
Why pay a monthly fee for a (Xbox) Video subscription and then pay another fee for what you want to watch ?? That's where both Netflix & Hulu Plus kick's it ass.
As far as WMC being dead in 10, I believe if enough people complain to CyberLink, that they'll be adding tv recording feature's to MediaSuite Ultra.
I've already suggested it to them and they seem real interested in adding it. Especially, as watching/recording tv/movies is the only thing you can't do in MediaSuite right now.

I'm not trying to complain here. I'm just pointing out Microsoft's numerous bug's, that they aren't interested in fixing. It's probably why 10 is a free upgrade. It really seem's like they laid off/got rid of the wrong employee's.

As I've mentioned in another post elsewhere on this forum.
The behavior of this latest build seems to depend a lot on how you installed it.
The people app works fine on my clean install, but was broken in the previous build and the update I performed on my other machine to this build left the people app broken.
The store app that you've mentioned behaves as you've described on my update install, but......
On my clean install it checks for updates and reports none available.
It would seem that if Microsoft needs to address anything it would be their update / upgrade process and compare that with clean installs.
One would think that they are on top of that, but I do wonder.

The people app works fine on my clean install.
Since it doesn't work on mine, I think something very simple is being missed. Probably on my system because maybe I don't have a phone, or I am not running Outlook, or whatever. It has not worked on any of my systems, but I never set up Live Mail or another online type utility. Maybe if you think back as to what may have been available online for your system with even Windows 8, you will find an answer.

If you are just signed in with a Microsoft account, is it supposed to work or is there something else that needed to be do to add contacts and such? When I try to set up Outlook.com, it asks me for an alias. Of course I do not currently have one.

btkkab, I can't really suggest anything for you except show you my Nvidia control panel so you can compare. I am running two GTX 680s because they were just lying around. I would not normally do that for one monitor.

Attachments

• SLI.JPG
    SLI.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 282
Well, just discovered something. If I right click the People tile and select "Turn Live Tile Off" I was able to gain access to the APP.

Since I had just at least made an attempt to set up Outlook.com, that may also be involved since the App seems to stay open even if I make the tile live again.

Heck, now even the Calendar is staying open....

Trouble: Technically I did a clean install. I have a iso of the previous build. I clean installed it and switched to fastlane and immediately installed build 100122. As soon as I was in the current build, all the modern pre-installed app's disappeared from the right column in the start menu. It's just about a 4" black space now.
I tried running a administrative command prompt for sfc /scannow and it failed to run. Ithen ran it as administrator in PowerShell. It found error's, but couldn't fix them.
So far, since the 99** build in January, 10 appear's to have gone downhill fast to me.
A lot of what worked previously, no longer work's.

As far as the sli, I'm not messing with it anytime soon in 10. By the looks, so far, I'll be keeping 10 on my smaller ssd when it's released and sticking with either 8.1 Pro w/Media Center or 7 Professional on my bigger ssd, as my main o.s.

Hi

It seems like the first version was the most stable.

Almost everything worked for me, of course Cortana wasn't available yet but the build worked so well I decided to install everything and use 10 for my everyday OS.

I'm still doing that but there have been times when I wasn't so sure I made the right choice.

For now I'm sticking with 1074 which I've got working fairly well.
I still can't open anything from the right click menu on the start button.

Mike

Well, just discovered something. If I right click the People tile and select "Turn Live Tile Off" I was able to gain access to the APP.

Since I had just at least made an attempt to set up Outlook.com, that may also be involved since the App seems to stay open even if I make the tile live again.

Heck, now even the Calendar is staying open....

Nice one. Well done, Saltgrass.

Well i have had no luck getting these apps working so all i can try now is a clean install. downloading the iso now.
the music preview worked in build 10074 but the people app never did.
I'll first try a clean in stall on my laptop as i have quite a few programs installed and working fine on my main PC, and its a bit of apita to install them all again specially as i don't use the people app very often.

Paul, when you get it back up, go to your User Settings and select "Update my Microsoft Account". At the top of the page is a link for Outlook e-mail. I never entered an alias, but it appears it entered one on its own. Now when I go to Outlook.com, I have messages from the Outlook team.

The only other thing I would ask is, are you going back and forth between a Microsoft account and a Local account?

Last edited:
I did a refresh of 10 overnight. Now the right side of the start menu has icons again. However, most don't work now and if you click on some, like Photos in the start menu > all programs it still doesn't work.
The Photos app worked fine before the refresh was done. News is also in the same situation worked before, won't either way now.
This time the Store isn't finding anything, but it may also be not working. No way of knowing as I'm uninterested in adding anything from the store.
I prefer my desktop software. I personally haven't seen any modern app, that is superior to a desktop program.

Ok so the clean install on the laptop worked great, all apps working. So I did a clean install on my desktop and all but the people app are working.
I updated my MS account, removed all other user accounts, even tried adding a local account but nothings getting the app working so far.

Back