Windows 8 Transfering files through wifi

SereneTW

What I want to do is send music/videos through my pc to my iphone through wifi. I had done it few times. But now i am not being able to do it for some reasons.
So, i install apps like VLC and other music and video player in my iphone and turn on the wifi sharing. Then they will give me a certain IP address to use it in my browser in my PC.
For eg: 192.168.0.2:7777
When i type it in my browser it says problem loading page(connection timed out). I heard that the iphone and PC should be in same IP address to transfer files from one another.But since they are both using same internet connection(wifi) through a same router arent their IP address suppose to be same?
Why am I getting the error in my Browser.?
btw do i have to do something in firewall?
Thank you!

Edit: I am able to transfer files when i use a hotspot from my PC and if i connect to that hotspot from my iphone then i am able to transfer it. Is there a way to do without the hotspot through router wifi on both devices? thank you!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="For eg: 192.168.0.2:7777
When i type it in my browser it says problem loading page(connection timed out). I heard that the iphone and PC should be in same IP address to transfer files from one another. But since they are both using same internet connection(wifi) through a same router arent their IP address suppose to be same?"
[/QUOTE]

They devices need to be on the same network but their IP addresses cannot be the same - no two devices connected to a given network can have the same address. In your case the network is determined by the first three digits of the address - 192168.0. These need to be the same in for two devices to communicate on the same network. The fourth number, 2, needs to be different for the two devices. The final number 7777 defines the "port number" which the software is using and again needs to be the same for the two devices. To check what IP addresses are assigned on your pc you should run a command prompt and enter the command:

ipconfig /all

This will show you all the IP addresses currently assigned on your pc The IP address assigned to your iphone should not already be assigned in the ipconfig listing.

They are different. 192.168.1 and 192.168.2
How am i suppose to make them same?
Thank you for the reply

The first three digits define the network - 192.168.1 is a network, 192.168.2 is adifferent one and the one you referred to earlier 192.168.0 is yet a third one! That means they are on different networks and cannot communicate. Can you please show the ipconfig list on here so I can see the complete picture.

C:\Users\ASUS>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Routerdomain
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-35-30-56-F7-90
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fc01:b266:44bd:c0b%17(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.163.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 592721200
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-D6-28-59-54-35-30-56-F7-97

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-35-30-56-F7-91
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 40-16-7E-47-97-F3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-35-30-56-F7-97
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::58e6:f996:c150:3359%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 November 2014 20:46:14
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 December 2014 07:21:10
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 257176880
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-D6-28-59-54-35-30-56-F7-97

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Users\ASUS>ipconfig/all>net.txt

Your router is operating a network address of 192.168.0 with itself being device number 1 giving a full router address of 192.168.0.1. Your wireless adapter has somehow got an address of 192.168.163.1 so it will not be connecting to the 192.168.0 network. It also has DHCP disabled. You should enable DHCP on the wireless adapter so the router will assign a compatible IP adress. Reboot and run ipconfig again to confirm you have correct address on the wireless adapter.

Thanks will try when i get home.
What is DHCP? I have googled it and it says that it reduces the needs of network administrator. Can you explain it in regular english please? And why is there disable switch for DHCP? Is it bad for some reason?

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol which runs on your router. Each device connected to your router is called a host (like your pc, a network printer etc). Each host requires an IP address which must be on the same network as your router (in your case the first three numbers must be 192.168.0 followed by a fourth number which must be in the range 1 - 254 and which must not be already in use by another host. You may manually assign IP addresses to hosts but you must observe these rules. DHCP is a protocol which runs on your router and automatically assigns addresses making sure the rules are observed. It is the easiest way to get IP addresses assigned and I recommend you set each device connected to the router to use DHCP (this will usually be the default). In your case it would appear that your wireless adapter has been given that invalid address manually and you need to set your adapter to use DHCP (in the settings it says "obtain an address automatically". You should check this option and also the option to "obtain DNS server address automatically." There is nothing "bad" about DHCP and there is no reason why you should disable it - doing so will cause you more problems in the current situation.

Back