Windows 7 Tricky Touchpad and Keyboard issue

Travis was Here

I had this originally posted in Hardware... but thought this would be a more viable spot.

Ok, so here is the breakdown. I have a Sony Vaio Model # VPCEB47GM. I know Windows 8 is not compatable with this machine, however; I thought whats the worst that could happen. A couple years ago, I installed Windows 8 defiantly against Sony and it caused nothing but issues. (I know this is a WIN7 Forumn, but keep on reading). When initially installed Windows 8, I was forced to uninstall the keyboard and touchpad drivers from this machine. It didn't matter to me, because I didn't plan on using this as a laptop at the time, more like a desktop with a 24" monitor. I continued on this way for a year, got a new desktop and wanted to go back to using this as a laptop.

I thought it would be as simple as just reloading the drivers and that didn't make the keyboard and touchpad work again. I reloaded Windows 7 back on again and downloaded and reinstalled the drivers again. Didn't work. I ordered the original system disks from Sony and loaded on the original system image, didn't work.

I don't get what is happening here. You would think that installing the original system image loaded even loaded with all Best Buy's BS would work, at least to get the keyboard and touchpad working again and then I could reload a fresh copy of Windows 7 back on. However, when I try to install the touchpad driver it tells me that this driver is not compatible with this system. Which is strange as I am getting the drivers directly from Sony.

The keyboard works in the bios, and if the bios accepted the touchpad functionality I bet that would work to, so I know it is not a hardware issue, or could it be? I am open to try anything to get this to work. I have tried all Sony's secrets and I will not pay them $115 to work on this... seems silly to spend that kinda dough on a 4 yearold laptop. I am at a loss and I am really needing some help. If there is anyone that wants to take a crack at a solution to this, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks for your help!

In all of these various installs, recoveries etc I don't think there is any reason why the recovery partition should have been overwritten unless you manually ran a full hard drive reformatting. Have you tried booting the laptop from the recovery partition to execute a full factory reset?

In all of these various installs, recoveries etc I don't think there is any reason why the recovery partition should have been overwritten unless you manually ran a full hard drive reformatting. Have you tried booting the laptop from the recovery partition to execute a full factory reset?

Yes, the original recovery partition did get overwritten, however; when I installed the original factory image, the recovery was back. I assume this installed from the factory disks received from Sony.

Also, on a side, note... there is nothing in the bios to enable. The bios on this machine seems pretty scaled down to what I have previously seen.

Back
Top Bottom