Windows 7 Tried everything, can't boot Windows 7!

Marius Seim

I'm getting this bsod:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B(0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)"

I've tried system repair and restored the system to the 1 of April. Still I get the same bsod everytime I try to start the PC. Also tried safe mode, but it still won't go further than the bsod before it restarts. Since this is the case I can't run CHKDSK/F as is suggested. Any ideas on what to do?

I'm getting this bsod:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B(0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)"

I've tried system repair and restored the system to the 1 of April. Still I get the same bsod everytime I try to start the PC. Also tried safe mode, but it still won't go further than the bsod before it restarts. Since this is the case I can't run CHKDSK/F as is suggested. Any ideas on what to do?

I kept getting a similar error with random BSODs. Eventually, I found out that the problem was linked to a faulty RAM . Try removing one of your RAM sticks and see if the error still repeats (I had 4 RAM sticks that amounted to 6GB of RAM, took a lot of trial and error to get it right)

I would suggest, in the first instance, that you download one of the many free memory test programs, which can be placed on an autoboot CD.
here is, for example, one:
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

Also have a look (if this is a stationary) and make sure everything is seated correctly - in particular the memory and graphic cards/chips.

As a matter of interest, and maybe a clue to help, how did you run the restore facility, as, from your post, you seem to get a bsod on startup? Was that from the installation DVD?

I would suggest, in the first instance, that you download one of the many free memory test programs, which can be placed on an autoboot CD.
here is, for example, one:
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

Also have a look (if this is a stationary) and make sure everything is seated correctly - in particular the memory and graphic cards/chips.

As a matter of interest, and maybe a clue to help, how did you run the restore facility, as, from your post, you seem to get a bsod on startup? Was that from the installation DVD?
It is a laptop, so I doubt it has anything to do with the internal workings of the PC. I just recently got a windows update and shut down the computer for the night. The BSoD then appeared the day after, and without fail appears every single time i try to boot the computer.

I ran the restore from my external HD. Also this backup computer doesn't have CD-rom so I won't be able to burn anything. Is it possible to use a USB stick?

hi,

Check, Your system works in safe mode?

If yes Disable service and startup program and try.

hi,

Check, Your system works in safe mode?

If yes Disable service and startup program and try.
Like I said in my first post, safe mode doesn't work. I got this message when trying startup repair.

"Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 133
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.
Locale ID: 1033"

Marius Seim:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Seems you are in a very difficult situation, if the computer (laptop) will not boot normally, nor in safe mode, then you are left with the Windows 7 RE (recovery environment).
First make sure that you have disconnected any and all peripherals (especially external hard drives and thumb drives and USB printers with card slots) from your laptop and confirm that it will still not boot normally.
If stil no luck you may have a severly corrupted operating system which could be a result of any number of things from partial or failed installs or uninstalls of software and or updates to a failing hard disk. In any event you can try rebuilding the boot records using the Windows 7 RE command prompt as noted here How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows normally I would try the /fixmbr and /fixboot methods first.
If you are still unable to boot the computer you are left with performing a full recovery (factory reset). Most laptops provide a recovery partition (sometimes requiring additional media (CDs or DVDs)) either supplied by the manufacturer or made by you when you first setup the computer (just help a friend last night set up his new Acer and that was the first thing I did, as prompted by the Acer utility, created 4 recovery DVDs). As this process will completely return your hard drive to factory conditions, then that means all your existing data, docs, music, photos, email, etc., will be lost. So I suggest using a Live CD to boot your computer and move your critical data to an external resource before taking any such steps. Here's a link to using a Ubuntu distro to help do this. Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
If as you have said you don't have a burner available and you can't get access to one through a friend or relative then there are other methods to get the distro onto a thumb drive. Here's a link here Download | Ubuntu and you could probably find others some maybe even easier using google.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Randy

This post assumes you can get into the Windows 7 recovery environment, which I believe you stated was possible.

Use the F8 key to open the menu for the Repair options. Select "Repair Your Computer". From there, after going through the initial screens, select "Command Prompt".

You can try running either the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) or chkdsk. For chkdsk, you need to know which drive to run it on. If you have the small system partition on your Win 7 install, the correct drive will probably be D: If you are not sure, change to a drive and run a dir command to see what files are on it.

If it is d: then type chkdsk D: /f /v to run check disk. The /v is for verbose so you can see what is being done. There is also a /R switch you might try later if this does not work. You might keep a camera handy in case you want to capture any reports.

If chkdsk doesn't help, possibly use one of the other recovery options, like "Last known good configuration" or if this is an x64 system, "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"

If none of that works you might check, even though I would not suspect such a thing, the bios to see how your SATA controller is set up. Does it use AHCI or IDE for the driver. You might try changing it, but again I do not know how it could have been changed without you doing it. If it does not help, change it back.

Attachments

• Chkdsk options.JPG
    Chkdsk options.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,108
  • F8 Options.JPG
    F8 Options.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 736
  • Recovery Options.JPG
    Recovery Options.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 641
This post assumes you can get into the Windows 7 recovery environment, which I believe you stated was possible.

Use the F8 key to open the menu for the Repair options. Select "Repair Your Computer". From there, after going through the initial screens, select "Command Prompt".

You can try running either the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) or chkdsk. For chkdsk, you need to know which drive to run it on. If you have the small system partition on your Win 7 install, the correct drive will probably be D: If you are not sure, change to a drive and run a dir command to see what files are on it.

If it is d: then type chkdsk D: /f /v to run check disk. The /v is for verbose so you can see what is being done. There is also a /R switch you might try later if this does not work. You might keep a camera handy in case you want to capture any reports.

If chkdsk doesn't help, possibly use one of the other recovery options, like "Last known good configuration" or if this is an x64 system, "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"

If none of that works you might check, even though I would not suspect such a thing, the bios to see how your SATA controller is set up. Does it use AHCI or IDE for the driver. You might try changing it, but again I do not know how it could have been changed without you doing it. If it does not help, change it back.
I tried the chkdsk on both C and D, but in both cases I get the message "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems". Also there is a message further down stating that it "failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50". If I do find any problems later, how would I know what to do with them?

I managed to boot the PC using Ubuntu, so at least I have my files backed up now. I recon I'll just have install Windows 7 from scratch. The only problem is that my laptop came without the install CD, so I'm not sure where I can get the install data. Is there any way to get Windows 7 on a flash in the same way as Ubuntu?

Most laptops come from the factory with a recovery partition and require a certain function key or combination of keys that when struck at boot time with produce the factory recovery options as I said in my other post this recovery partition may be sufficient to recover your laptop to factory specs or may require additional media which you may have been required to create from within the manufacturer's application. Check with your laptop's documentation for a hint as to how to conduct this type of recovery or check with the manufacturer's website for information regarding this process. Additionally you may be able to obtain the recovery media from the laptop manufacturer but sometimes there is a small fee involved.
Glad to hear that you were able to backup your files using the Ubuntu Live method but sorry to hear that it has apparently come down to you needing to perform a complete factory reinstall.
Thanks for joining our community and keep us posted as to how you are progressing.
Best wishes
Randy

Thanks for all the help so far! :)

Sounds like a hassle! In any case I got my hands on a USB with Windows 7 and managed to format C and install a new clean version. Then when I reboot my PC and everything seems to be in order a huge "ERROR" pops up on screen with the message "can not open file C:Recovery.dat. I assume this is the data you were talking about that comes with every laptop? I have a product key for Windows 7 printed on my laptop, but it didn't function with the new install. Could this be the reason for it not working?

Managed to take care of it at last. Now the only problem left is having to install every single program all over again! Also the resolution has dropped, but this is probably easy to fix. Perhaps I need to find some graphic drivers.

Managed to take care of it at last. Now the only problem left is having to install every single program all over again! Also the resolution has dropped, but this is probably easy to fix. Perhaps I need to find some graphic drivers.

Yes with a clean install like you've just done, you will probably need to go to the laptop manufacturer's website and download all their drivers for the Version of Windows 7 you've just installed. Chipset drivers, Video, Audio, HotKeys/Keyboard, TouchPad, etc;, you may also need or want some of their proprietary applications, Quick Launcher, and anything else you see that looks interesting. If you don't like them after installing you can always uninstall them. Some people consider most of these unnecessary bloatware, but everybody has their own opinions and some like them.

I found a driver CD with tons of stuff on it. Like you said there were alot of unnecessary programs, but as long as everything else is in order I'm happy. Any tips on how to avoid any BSoD's in the future?

Just one, off the top of my head.... prevent the Windows Update Utility from installing driver software for your hardware devices.
Start Orb > Right Click Computer > Choose Properties > Select Advanced system settings from left column > Hardware Tab > Device Installation Settings Button > No, let me choose what to do (radio button) > Never install driver software from Windows Update.

Back
Top Bottom