Windows 7 Troubleshoot at win 7 startup?

mark5656

Hello everyone, today i had sorta of a problem which led to someone stomping on my laptop while i was using it u_u. but anyways, it didnt do any damage, no cracks or anything at all (surprisingly) but after 2 min the blue screen came and i restarted win 7. but it didnt load like it always does, it loaded in the original theme and said loading files, then was troubleshooting why win 7 wont start properly. so for awhile its been troubleshooting, told me to restore it, then i did, blah blah, but does the same thing every time i start up :(

anyways, i think the HDD got messed up, but looked at it and looked normal to me. but im not sure.

so what shall i do? re install win 7?

If the hard drive was running when the accident occurred, it may have been damaged. Have you tried running Chkdsk on it?

It might be good to explain your exact situation as far as what yoy can or can't do. Do you have a Repair CD or Install DVD or something else you can boot to? Can you use the F8 key during boot to get into Safe Mode or The Windows RE environment?

After Chkdsk, you might try to boot to the install DVD or Repair CD and do a Startup Repair.

If you do not have the media, can you use the F8 key to get into the Windows Recovery Environment and select Repair Your Computer?

You state it was trodden on whilst you were using it? That indicates that the keyboard was a victim??. Maybe a broken or depressed/broken key.

yep, its defintatly the HDD. when i turn on my computer, the startup repair windows pops up before i can log in, and it scanned the problems, and i looked at the diagnostics, and it says error: hardisk 0
so i need to know how i can fix this, buy a new HDD?
and im not sure what Chkdsk is, how would i access it? because i tried booting in safe mode, but the startup repair comes on no matter what :\

bumping :/
so what should i do? buy a new hardrive? or is there a way to fix that prob....

Chkdsk is the Windows drive checking utilty. It can find and repair certain types of things on a drive. I have no experience with your exact situation, so getting into it will need some type of Command Window if you cannot get into safe mode. If you have a repair CD or a Install DVD you can probably run it from there.

But you would type chkdsk /r and let it work. You can find more info on using it on the web.

If that does not help, some manfacturers will supply a diagnostic utility to check and/or repair the drive at a deeper level. I know Seagate and Western Digital have such utilities available for their drives. These utilies will come in a bootable version so you can check the drive without having to boot to it.

If you look in the bios, do you seen any SMART type errors associated with the drive, if it is enabled?

If none of this works and you cannot get into a situation where can boot, replacing the drive is an option. You could then put the current drive in an external enclosure and transfer your data, if you think the drive is usable.

ok, the first thing i checked was the bios to see if it had SMART. the only thing it said about bios was napa 1313, under VGA bios version. the hardrive model is hitachi HTS541612J9SA00.(if that helps) and as for chkdsk /r, i am able to get system recovery, and straight to command prompt, but cannot run windows in any safemode what so ever. but after doing chkdsk /r, it said "cannot lock current drive. windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"

According to the chkdsk help section, using a /x switch will force the drive to be dismounted. Use that with the /F switch and maybe it will do its thing. I cannot guarantee you will not loose some or all of your data because I have no experience with this situation. But chkdsk is supposed to save all it can.

chkdsk /x /f or chkdsk /s /r to fix sectors also.

I am not sure why it would show a "Write Protected", but I would be running it after booting to one of the WinRE environments where the drive is "Offline"..

Maybe I should just give you this reference at Link Removed - Invalid URL and see if their site can help. Check out the FAQ to start, it can explain better than I.

whew, ok, i tried my best to contact hitachi, hey have no answer (oddly) so i started my laptop up again, and i hear the clicking sound from my hard drive, and this time its stuck at the acer start screen. so doesn't load windows at all. so now, im thinking im gonna lose all my files.

Clicking from a hard drive is usually not a good thing. You probably can tell the difference in the sound when it is running normally.

You might try booting to a Linux live CD to see if you can access the drive and get files off it. There was a time when putting a drive in cold storage to cool it down would help get it working for a short time. I have not tried it and it may not work for newer drives. Maybe shutting the system completely down overnight would allow for "One more Boot"...

If Hitachi does not have any bootable utilities you can use to test/fix the drive, you might loose your files. But even if it could be fixed, you might still loose some files during the process. There is always a chance the drive connection, or its controller is having a problem, a new drive might help to make sure the drive is at fault or not.

Apart from the Live cd suggestion, which will help you to offload your private files, do you have the knowledge to iopen your laptop and remove/examine your HD. It could be a simple matter that the HD has worked a little loose (It's only plugged in). Or you could extend and try it in a friends laptop?

hmm, i think ill try the linux cd. but i looked in the hardrive, and found out the needle is misplaced, and the magnets at the tip are screwed up in different directions. i can not work on them for they are too small, and i dont want to screw it up more. so i have come to the conclusion that i need to either, buy a new needle, or fix this one. after that gets fixed my original problem will still be there though. if all else fails, i might have to go to fry's electronics, so they can copy all my programs, and every dingle last file to a new HDD. unless is there another way of doing this myself? i have lots of programs that cost me a lot. and can not afford to lose. so im afraid to use chkdsk. as you said it can delete every thing. (if i remember correctly)

You are probably right in thinking you should take the drive somewhere to get them to retrieve your files. There are professional folks that would do a better job than Fry's but can be quite expensive--check around.

ok, ill get it fixed, and get my files on a new hard drive professionally. thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom