Windows 7 "troubleshoot compatibility" feature is not working

merlincorp

I have just taken delivery of a new laptop running Windows Home Premium 64 bit O/S. I have an old program that is absolutely essential (my accounts) and I have previously installed this using the "troubleshoot compatibility" option. When I right-click and select this option on the new machine ... nothing happens! I cannot get this option to work with ANY program.

If I double click on this program to install directly I get a message saying this prog is not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running.

So then I tried using Link Removed - Invalid URL and selected XP SP1 as my preferred OS ... but when I press the "start the program" button - nothing happens.

I have done some searching online and it seems there is a Microsoft product that will install a virtual PC so I could run in XP mode, but that requires an upgrade in O/S to Win 7 Pro. I also found VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC and wondered if anybody had any experience of using this?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Adrian

Last edited:
BIZARRE ... after a reboot I was able to install this program OK. The right-click continues not to function, but using the route via Control Panel seems to fix it.

Sorry to trouble you.

I have just taken delivery of a new laptop running Windows Home Premium 64 bit O/S. I have an old program that is absolutely essential (my accounts) and I have previously installed this using the "troubleshoot compatibility" option. When I right-click and select this option on the new machine ... nothing happens! I cannot get this option to work with ANY program.

If I double click on this program to install directly I get a message saying this prog is not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running.

So then I tried using Link Removed - Invalid URL and selected XP SP1 as my preferred OS ... but when I press the "start the program" button - nothing happens.

I have done some searching online and it seems there is a Microsoft product that will install a virtual PC so I could run in XP mode, but that requires an upgrade in O/S to Win 7 Pro. I also found VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC and wondered if anybody had any experience of using this?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Adrian

Back