Windows 7 Trying to bring my Toshiba laptop back from the dead

tomween1

For several days I have been trying to repair issues w/ my Toshiba laptop, that just started happening suddenly. With lots of reading, I've been able to bring the computer back from only booting into safe mode. Now with normal boot it takes up to 20 min. to fully boot. Then once everything starts, a click of any function can take 8 to 10 min. All things eventually seem to work.

I would appreciate help. Please let me know what things are needed to evaluate what is wrong. Please be specific to what is needed and how I would perform the procedure, enabling me to attach it back here for review.

Thanks, Tomween1

You have a number of optional approaches. If you have a disk to recover your system and you have no problem restoring to manufacturer settings (losing any user data files stored on the system drive, any installed apps needing to be reinstalled and any updates lost) then this would be a comprehensive and straightforward way to give yourself a clean start. If not acceptable then you need to start examining what is causing the problem an it could be a time consuming process investigating possible hardware problems, software issues or maybe malware infection. Do get back to us if a full restore is not acceptable for you and we can start the process of investigating possible causes.

Do get back to us if a full restore is not acceptable for you and we can start the process of investigating possible causes.

Thanks for the reply. True a complete clean re-install would be best, I am looking to preserve the look and actions of the setup the way it was.

I have done a few thins helping me back to the point the laptop is at now. I have run Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware with only 1 issue with both. I have corrected thoes errors. I have also run sfc/scannow both in safe mode and today on the semi-working system. Oddly enough in both cases it would only scan to 35% and say windows resource protection could not preform the requested operation.

Running the sfc/scannow several times and using Autorun to take things away from start up have helped.

So what next?

Last edited:
The 35% limit on scannow is probably due to system protection - did you run the command prompt as administrator by right clicking before you entered the scannow command?

Try running a system restore back to some date which predates the problem.

That my friend is the problem! The only one prior is through Norton backup and it's from 7 months ago

You know - I strongly suspect you're going to spend ages nibbling away at this only to finally decide you need a clean install. At this stage, with limited recovery options I'd be seriously considering that. I've always recommended maintaining a series of backup images generated by Acronis True Image which enables complete recovery of the entire contents of an entire system drive in just minutes. If all user data has been kept on a drive or partition separate from the system drive such images can be quite small and a series of the most recent three can be kept. It's not going to solve our current problem (I'd go for the recovery if I were you) but wil save you a lot of grief the next time it happens. You can get a full working time limited trial of True Image here:

Acronis True Image - Download

Wouldn't It be just as good to use Nortons Ghost?
There are a few backup packages on the market - including True Image, Ghost and others, some of them even free - they all do a similar job so it comes down to features and personal preference.

Well surprisingly enough while trying to clean up windows security issues I found there was a service pk to download. I downloaded an well all is really good again.... Or is it? I just got a pop-up window telling me to register my product key. Huh??? I tryed entering my key on the back of the laptop. It told me it was incorrect. I then tryed entering the key showing up in the control panel>system, this one is a OEM, again it wouldn't except it. After scratching my head I decided to look at my partitioning! This is what I found!!!????!!!!:headache:

Attachments

• Hard drive.JPG
    Hard drive.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 392
On the product key issue - try this download and see what it tells you:

http://download.cnet.com/ProduKey/3000-2094_4-10457063.html

On the hard drive issues - two observations - the first may have some bearing on what you have been experiencing, the second is just "interesting".

I see you have a recovery partition there which is marked as the active partition - I would have expected the system drive to be marked as active - dont know if that may be causing some delay at boot time.

It's not clear what the 8GB partition is - not doing any harm but might be worth investigating sometime what it's doing there.

Last edited:
Does produkey tell you anything new? If not and your online registration keeps failing then you'll have to phone MS to register.

For the hard drive it's worth tryimg marking drive C as the active drive and see if that speeds up the boot process.

Back