Windows 7 trying to restore win7 disk image stored on WD my passport drive

Splinterd1

Hi,
I have a compac (HP) laptop (CQ61-41us notebook), running WIN7 home premium, 64 bit.

Aside from the normal file backup via the western digital software, I have several windows 7 generated iso images of my laptop stored on my external WD drive.
Using windows repair disk, my computer does not recognize the external drive to access the disk images. It just asks to insert the last disk into optical drive.
My images are on a folder on my external drive. There is no option to navigate to it!!!
This is the first time I've needed to restore an image, and I can't access them!!
This should be an easy operation that could be started in a few minutes. I have been screwing around with this for more than 24 hours!
Am I missing something simple here?
any ideas?

Hi

Is you computer bootable?

If it is it's a lot easier.

Anyway take a look at this, and see if it helps...

System Image Recovery - Windows 7 Forums

I've never done it this way, I use Acronis True Image which opens an interface from the boot disk that lets you navigate to the saved image and restore it.

Mike

Is the external drive a 3.0 version or do you have it plugged into a 3.0 USB port? If so, move it, or add the drivers for the USB 3.0.

Are there any special drivers for the WD drive that might need to be installed for it to work in that situation?

If nothing else, do not plug it in until you have already scanned for an image once. Then, after you plug it in, let it look for an image again.

Back