Windows 7 Tutorial: How to Display the "Show Desktop" Icon on the Windows 7 Taskbar

VicVicVic

This tutorial will teach you how to display the "Show Desktop" Icon in the Taskbar. This was a feature present in Windows XP and Windows Vista, but has been changed to the Aero Peek/Show Desktop button on the bottom right corner of the screen, near the Notification Area.

Here's How:
1. Open Notepad by going to the Start Menu, choosing All Programs, Accessories, then Notepad.

2. Copy and paste the following into the new Notepad file:
Code:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop
3. Click on File and choose Save As.... In the Save as type field, choose All Files. In the File name field, copy and paste the following, then click on the Save button:
Code:
C:\Windows\Show Desktop.exe
4. Navigate to C:\Windows by going to Computer, select the C drive, then double-clicking the Windows folder to open it.

5. In the Windows folder, locate the Show Desktop file you created. Drag the file down to the taskbar to pin it.

6. Go back to the Windows folder. If you can see the complete "Show Desktop.exe," proceed to step 7. If you only see "Show Desktop" without the ".exe" part, hit the ALT key on your keyboard to reveal the folder menu on the top left corner of the window. Click on Tools, then Folder Options. In the new window that pops up, select the View tab, and under Advanced settings, uncheck Hiden extensions for known file types. Press the OK button.

7. Rename the Show Desktop.exe file to "Show Desktop.scf" A pop-up message may show up, asking you if you are sure you want to change it. Click on the Yes button.

8. Hold the Shift key on your keyboard, right-click on the Show Desktop item in your taskbar, the choose Properties from the bottom of the menu.

9. In the Target field, delete the text already displayed and copy and paste the following:
Code:
C:\Windows\Show Desktop.scf
10. Press the OK button. The Show Desktop icon should now be in your taskbar so that you can quickly get to the Desktop whenever you want. After a computer restart, the icon will look like the Show Desktop icon in Windows XP.
Hope this helps,
Victor Ly

P.S. Later:My apologies to VivVicVic. I have just read his post (following this one.) completely owed to Vic.
I must learn to read more thoroughly.!! For those mystified. I gave a bad link and reference regarding this post.

P.S. Later:My apologies to VivVicVic. I have just read his post (following this one.) completely owed to Vic.
I must learn to read more thoroughly.!! For those mystified. I gave a bad link and reference regarding this post.
lol no problem at all. I was quite confused myself when I saw your link and actually clicked it three times to make sure I was looking at the correct tab that had opened.

Followed the first post. It worked for me. Thanks
Glad to hear. Thanks for giving me feedback.

I have given you both reputation points for the help.
Have a good day,
Victor Ly

Here is a much easier way...
Download http://perfectflyer.com/desktop.exe

..and put it in a permanent folder and right click on it and "pin to taskbar"

I built this program using a program called "AutoHotkey." This free program has a powerful list of
features and the most useful is the option to write macros (with the macro
recorder) to automate anything by sending mouse clicks and keystrokes.

But this tip is even better and more powerful..

When you *right* click on the TASK BAR and select "tools" you can check
"desktop" When the desktop icon is added to the taskk bar there will be two
"chevron" characters ">>"

When you click on them you will get a list of all the icons on your desktop
and can select anything you want to open from the menu.... without minimizing
all your programs to access your desktop or clicking "Show Desktop" or pressing
winkey + m. You can also right click on the list and select "sort" to arrange
them in alphabetical order. There are many extra options from that menu and
under the user's profile option there are direct links to open the user's
folders.

This feature provides an EXCELLENT way to organize your desktop and reduce
the clutter. Simply right click on your desktop and create a new folder... for
example "Tools" then drag and drop the desktop icons for programs that are
important but only needed once a week or once a month... like Spyware programs,
Registry optimizers, Temp file cleaners, etc. Then when you click on the chevron
you only have to touch the "Tools" folder to get the list and can click on any
program you want to run. Two reasons this is so much better than clicking
"Start" "All Programs" are: "All programs" is a long list that has no
organization other than alphabetical listing - in two confusing sections... by
folders and by a few program names. Second, many programs aren't listed. Rather
their company is listed... so if you wanted to run Cuteftp, you would have to
remember that it's a program written by GlobalSCAPE.

How do I just remove the Show Desktop button (from the right side) without moving it to the task bar? I have already reinstated my Quick Launch toolbar, and that has the Show Desktop button in it, so all I need to do is get rid of the one on the right. Thanks.

I like the one in the bottom right hand corner that's built in to W7. I don't understand why something else is needed.

Why do you bother making such a comment? Obviously, I don't agree with you or I wouldn't be asking my question. I don't need two Show Desktop buttons, and the one on the right is the one I want to remove.

Why do you bother making such a comment? Obviously, I don't agree with you or I wouldn't be asking my question. I don't need two Show Desktop buttons, and the one on the right is the one I want to remove.

You can't remove it or MOVE it without going back to Vista.

If you want a "show disktop" in another location you have to put one there.

I explained how you can do that.

"You can't handle the truth! ....... I'd rather you just said thank you"

I didn't make that comment to you, I made it to the person who posted right after my original post. I'm sure there is some way to remove the Show Desktop icon from the right, and I'll eventually find it.

I didn't make that comment to you, I made it to the person who posted right after my original post. I'm sure there is some way to remove the Show Desktop icon from the right, and I'll eventually find it.

I was just messin' with you. You can install Vista and it will go away.

If you get it off let me know how. I want to put the method in my blogs. I'll give you credit. That pulus $5 will get you a cup of coffee.

I followed the instructions in post 1, the feature works, but it just has the generic icon. When I see it in C\Windows, it has the XP show desktop icon, but not in the taskbar. I tried opening it's properties and selecting an icon, but it doesn't take effect. Any ideas why this is happening?

Also, when I click on the link, http://perfectflyer.com/desktop.exe, I get page not found. I like some of the tips I found on the main page.

Scott

I followed the instructions in post 1, the feature works, but it just has the generic icon. When I see it in C\Windows, it has the XP show desktop icon, but not in the taskbar. I tried opening it's properties and selecting an icon, but it doesn't take effect. Any ideas why this is happening?

Also, when I click on the link, http://perfectflyer.com/desktop.exe, I get page not found. I like some of the tips I found on the main page.

Scott

Crap.. try again.. when I put it on the site I used an uppercase D ... it's so pesky when the case has to match in the url.

The new show desktop feature is built, hard coded into windows 7 itself... so there is no modification unless you are a pretty good hacker and know how to HEX edit code bit by bit. Definitely not worth the time and effort it would take.

The reason microsoft did it this way and stuck it there is because there are devices and even your mouse that you can use with your eyes closed to go to the bottom right of your screen and click and show desktop.

I use winkey + D a lot because it's just sometimes easier when i'm typing and my hands are already on the keyboard .. rather than fumbling around with the mouse and getting it pointed and clicking.

.... and even better is to rightclick on your taskbar, select toolbars and activate Desktop... then you have >> on your taskbar and when you click it you get a menu with all your desktop icons PLUS Libraries, user profile, control panel,, network, computer and more options.... alphabetically listed.

Hummm... I believe this answer deserves an "A" or at least some reps!

Last edited:
doesn't work on x64

I tried this on my new x64 machine but got this error message when I try to run it:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Back
Top Bottom