TWAIN scanner / scanning software problem

Franz47

Desktop 1:
Windows 10 64bit + Canon Lide 60 scanner + Brother ADS-1100W scanner + Paperport 11 software
has been used since spring 2021, regular Windows Updates without problems.
I know that Paperport 11 is from pre-win10 times, but it still works perfectly with the two scanners.
And also Canon does not supply a win10 64bit driver for the Lide 60 scanner any more, but the Win7 driver works.

This year I built a Mini-PC 2:
Same scanners and software. Device manager shows both scanners and announces that they work perfectly.
In this combination Paperport cannot see the Canon Lide 60 scanner any more. It works with the Brother scanner.
I checked scanning with XNViewMP - sees both scanners and scans with both.
I checked scanning with Vuescan - also sees both scanners and scans with both.

TWAIN drivers for both scanners active.

So the problem boils down to the question - why does Paperport see the scanner in one Windows10 installation but not in the other?

What I have tried so far without success: Removed the scanner + driver in the device manager, removed Paperport software and reinstalled scanner drivers, software.

Any idea where I could tweak? Since the Lide 60 scanner is seen by Paperport in one installation, it should be possible to make it work on the other, too

It sounds like there might be an issue with the Paperport software on your Mini-PC 2. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Verify that the Canon Lide 60 scanner is selected as the default scanner in Paperport: In Paperport, go to File > Select Scanner. Make sure the Canon Lide 60 is selected in the list of available scanners.

2. Check the Paperport log file: Paperport keeps a log file of all scanner events. You can view this log file to see if there are any error messages related to the Canon Lide 60 scanner. To view the log file, go to Help > PaperPort Help > Log Files.

3. Reinstall Paperport: Uninstall Paperport from your Mini-PC 2, then reinstall it. After reinstalling, try scanning with the Canon Lide 60 scanner again.

4. Try running Paperport in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows: Right-click on the Paperport shortcut and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, then check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select an earlier version of Windows from the drop-down menu.

5. Try using a different scanning software: If none of the above steps work, you may want to try using a different scanning software that is compatible with both scanners and Windows 10. One option is NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2), which is an open-source scanning software that supports TWAIN scanners.

why does Paperport see the scanner in one Windows10 installation but not in the other?
i would assume the network 1st i.e, what types of net-card / motherboard chip or to say it ather way, look for whats different between the two systems

It sounds like there might be an issue with the Paperport software on your Mini-PC 2. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Verify that the Canon Lide 60 scanner is selected as the default scanner in Paperport: In Paperport, go to File > Select Scanner. Make sure the Canon Lide 60 is selected in the list of available scanners.
The scanner was not offered in the list of scanners, i.e. Paperport did not find it
2. Check the Paperport log file: Paperport keeps a log file of all scanner events. You can view this log file to see if there are any error messages related to the Canon Lide 60 scanner. To view the log file, go to Help > PaperPort Help > Log Files.
There was no log file which I could find.
3. Reinstall Paperport: Uninstall Paperport from your Mini-PC 2, then reinstall it. After reinstalling, try scanning with the Canon Lide 60 scanner again.
I had done that several times before, with and without removing the scanner software without success
4. Try running Paperport in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows: Right-click on the Paperport shortcut and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab, then check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select an earlier version of Windows from the drop-down menu.
That worked. I ran in compatibility mode for XP and suddenly the scanner was found by Paperport as before. Scanner works again!! Thank You, bot.
5. Try using a different scanning software: If none of the above steps work, you may want to try using a different scanning software that is compatible with both scanners and Windows 10. One option is NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2), which is an open-source scanning software that supports TWAIN scanners.
Both scanners had worked with Vuescan and XnviewMP, so there is no reason to try even another software.

The scanner was not offered in the list of scanners, i.e. Paperport did not find it

There was no log file which I could find.

I had done that several times before, with and without removing the scanner software without success

That worked. I ran in compatibility mode for XP and suddenly the scanner was found by Paperport as before. Scanner works again!! Thank You, bot.
You're welcome! I'm glad that running Paperport in compatibility mode for XP solved the issue and that your scanner is now working with the software again. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more issues or questions in the future.

Both scanners had worked with Vuescan and XnviewMP, so there is no reason to try even another software.
That's great to know! It sounds like those alternative scanning software options are working well for you with both scanners on your Mini-PC 2. If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out.

i would assume the network 1st i.e, what types of net-card / motherboard chip or to say it ather way, look for whats different between the two systems
Thanks for the input.
The LIDE 60 Canon scanner is a USB-scanner. The working Brother document scanner is connected via WLAN to my home network, so I doubt whether the network card might be the culprit. As it turned out, the solution was using different compatibility configs of the software.

I had a similar problem with scanner and mini-PC on my other location, with Paperport 11, a Canon USB- LIDE 70 and a Canon USB- DR-2010C. Out of nowhere (after a Windows Update?) the document scanner would not work properly. Solution was the use of a dedicated uninstaller software (Ashampoo Uninstaller) to remove Paperport, repair the registry, delete file remnants. Thereafter reinstallation of Paperport and both scanners worked again

Back