Windows 7 UK Student Download Version?

rendez2k

I've ordered Win 7 Pro on the UK student deal along with the backup DVD. Now, since the backup DVD is never going to arrive tomorrow with the current postal strikes, it looks like I'll be atempting to use the 'download' version. So, does anyone know what is the download version? Will it be an ISO or EXE? Will it work from within XP or just Vista? So many questions!

Hi,

If it's an .iso , you can burn it dvd , obviously. If it's a bunch of installation files - you can make a bootable .iso easily.

Do you have a link handy for the UK student deal order page?

You can also use a usb drive rather than burn to disk. It's much faster to install. See my blogs..

You might get this:

setup1.box
setup2.box
W7etc.exe

If so, bootable .iso's are just minutes away - easy to make.

If that's what you get - post up screenshots please.

Last edited:
I bought mine though the Student deal. But now it isn't working, well the installer isn't anyway. I've downloaded it, so I get Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x64, which crashes halfway into doing what ever it does. Then I can't do anything.

Anyone got anything that could help. thanks

Hi Exile, Are you with us?

Will only be able to help if I get the answers

Do you get this:

We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security
permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only

Last edited:
I've got the same issue, it came with 3 files
setup1.box
setup2.box
and
Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe

have run the exe and its created a folder expandedSetup with all the files in it,

how do i make this a bootable DVD ?

(running Vista Home Premium 32bit at the moment, I got Windows 7 Professional 64bit)

Hi Exile, Are you with us?

Do you get this:

We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security
permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only

Yep I get exactly that message

Do the contents look similar to my screenshot?

Check in the folder called Boot and make sure there is a file called etfsboot.com.

Press shift and rt click it - select Copy as Path - post the path on this thread.

ON the Main expanded folder containing all the files, also shift and rt click - copy as path - post it also.

EDIT: I assume you unblocked all 3 downloaded files before you ran the setup? Rt click each file >Properties>Unblock>Apply>OK.

Under the general tab - check read only is clear>apply>ok.
Out of interest, please post a screen shot with the contents of the expanded setup folder.

I will post back the command to create the bootable .iso for you - the paths are needed for that.

Last edited:
"C:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com"
"C:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop\expandedSetup"

yep i unblocked it
and the files are not read only files

the expanded folder has

boot
efi
sources
support
upgrade folders
autorun.inf
bootmgr
bootmgr.efi
setup.exe

its 3.01GB has 874 files and 199 folders

Last edited:
D/L this - unzip it - copy/move oscdimg.exe into C :\Windows\System32

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Open an elevated command prompt and type ( or copy and paste this - it is easier):

Oscdimg.exe –u2 –bC:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com –h C:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop\expandedSetup C:\WIN7.ISO

then press Enter

PS - there should not be a space between etf and sboot.com - this forum does weird things.

If you copy and paste - the space won't be there - I just tried it.

Last edited:
You're welcome,

That is the Full install dvd - contains the files for all Editions.

You can install that in the normal clean install - put your key in - no need to muck about with the "upgrade" qualifying versions., etc.

Here you go Reece,

Oscdimg.exe –u2 –bC:\Users\Reece\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etf sboot.com –h C:\Users\Reece\Desktop\expandedSetup C:\WIN7.ISO

That etfsboot is getting very weird with spacing - should be fine if you copy and paste into cmd.

Post back and keep us updated.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was so mad when I found out I couldnt upgrade from 32bit to 62bit, but now I have ISO thanks :p

OK, got the 3 files. Ran the EXE and got the expanded files. They are currently saved in:

C:\Win 7\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com
C:\Win 7\expandedSetup

I modified the commands created for other users as:
Oscdimg.exe –u2 –bC:\Win 7\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com –h C:\Win 7\expandedSetup C:\WIN7.ISO

But I get:
ERROR: Could not delete existing file "ûbC:\Win"
Error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Any ideas? I'm on XP if that makes a difference and I'm not 100% sure if all the spaces are correct!

Last edited:
Your username has a space in it. Command sees the space and is expecting the next instruction .

Enclose the entire paths in " " so cmd understands what you are trying to do.

Copy and paste this in :

Oscdimg.exe –u2 –b"C:\Win 7\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" –h "C:\Win 7\expandedSetup" C:\WIN7.ISO

Hope it helps

Hi SIW2, I've tried to what you detail in this thread by in my expandedSetup/boot folder there is no etfsboot.com file, only etfsboot

Back
Top Bottom