Windows 7 UK Student Download Version?

When you have the .iso - burn as an image with any isoburner.

Up to you how you partition . I have all my o/s on small partitions - 30gb or so. I keep data on a different partition.

Everyone does it differently.

O all right I plan on giving my C:\ partition about 50 gigs for some breathing room if I want to run additional boots of Linux in the future.

One more question before I start the install: When I am using the partitioning tool for the Windows 7 install, If I delete both the C:\ (master) and D:\ (slave) partitions, will they then join together again so I can partition it a different way?

And thanks again so much for all of the help.

Your username has a space in it. Command sees the space and is expecting the next instruction .

Enclose the entire paths in " " so cmd understands what you are trying to do.

Copy and paste this in :

Oscdimg.exe –u2 –b"C:\Win 7\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" –h "C:\Win 7\expandedSetup" C:\WIN7.ISO

Hope it helps

Hmmmm, I'm getting

ERROR: Could not delete existing file "ûbC:\Win 7\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com"
Error 161: The specified path is invalid.

What is it trying to delete and what is ûbC?!

I currently have this problem. My files are located in. Tried to manual work it out but it didn't

F:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot
F:\expandedSetup

Does the oscdimg program need to be in its own folder in the system32 folder or not?
Using xp 32bit.

I've had a bash at making a bootable ISO with ImgBurn and it looks like its worked. Although I've not installed it yet, the DVD boots and allows me to select install so I assume its worked?

Hey SIW just following up and saying thanks again! I'm running Windows 7 fine and the install went smoothly.

Does anybody know how to add a logical drive to my unallocated partition???? I assume it's Right click on the Unallocated space and then New Simple Volume but I would like to verify before I actually go about doing something that I can't reverse.

Thanks all.

Can't believe I can't get this working.

Have copied the install folder to the c:\ root and called it "x64" for simplicity.

Am then executing the command:

oscdimg.exe -u2 -b c:\x64\boot\etfsboot.com -h c:\x64 c:\win7.iso
And am getting:

ERROR: Coule not open boot sector file ""
Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.
It's bound to be a simple error of typing or access, but where am I going wrong?

PS. Just realised - is it relevant if I'm running RC (build 7100) Win7 already?

PPS. Forget it - on about the tenth time of retrying it has worked. Maybe the paths are case-sensitive or something, or pasting causes some issues, but it does work eventually...

Last edited:
Wow-need some help. I just want to make a cd in case I have to format my HD. I just want to make sure I do thhis right and understand:

1: download to a file on my hard drive(I did not partition-is that ok?)
2: Down load that zip file into where in the download from Didital river?
3: You say run a command "Oscdimg.exe –u2 –bC:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etf sboot.com –h C:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop\expandedSetup C:\WIN7.ISO"
What username do you use? What happens next?
4: Can I burn it on a dvd? Does Windows XP media player burn iso's?

Sorry about the questions kind of confused, thanks.
PS-I have Windows XP Pro and have the student download Windows 7 32 Pro from Digital River.

Trouble with getting to expand the file

Hi, I brought the student 64 bit pro edition, and it downloads fine, however when i try to run the .exe that makes a folder and expands the contents, I get an error about 90% in: "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only" I have checked the folders and I have permission to write. Any ideas on whats going wrong? I'm currently using windows XP Pro 32 bit. Thanks!

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I also have bought the student Windows 7. At the moment I'm running Windows Vista 32 and I have the Windows 7 Student Pro 64.

I have been following this thread and this is where I'm at now.
OK, so far I have these paths:

"C:\Users\Owner\Documents\expandedSetup"
"C:\Users\Owner\Documents\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com"

And I also have the Oscdimg.exe on System32

Could you please let me know what's next so I can create the ISO?

hey guys, great thread, very informative. im from Australia, while going through the checkout for win7 for students, i get this:

. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - 32 bit - Electronic Download - 49.95AUD

. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 32 Bit Disk Kit - Boxed Shipment - 14.00AUD

what is the 2nd item for $14 ? the website is useless and has no information, and google search doesnt bring anything usefull. any clues ? is it the boot disk you guys have been trying to create in this thread ?

1 more question - is the boot disk that is being made in this thread, for vista only, or will it work in xp 32bit professional. cheers

Had to register just to say that this worked.

I had all the same errors the last page or two has had, and then i figured i might as well type it out manually as opposed to copy and paste, and sure enough it worked. I dont know why it worked exactly. Everything was the exact same, except for all lower case.

TYPE OUT MANUALLY

it may be a head ache for 1 minute or so, but it works and is faster then the hour ive been trying to figure this out.

Sorry I didn't reply, was in bed.

I've tried to do everything thats been said in this guide, and still nothing is working. Isn't there a way of just like opening the .exe file and then installing it? I don't have a DVD burner, so I can't make that.

Any help is welcomed.

ISO size

Hi all, Can someone please post the exact size the ISO WIN7 student download creates? I have managed to get that far, just want to be sure it has completed correctly. Thanks.

Thanks same as mine. So much conflicting information on the web at the moment, lots of people saying you cannot in fact perform a clean install from xp 32bit to windows 7 64 bit, then Microsoft's own FAQ saying you will have no choice but to do this... Will see when I get home and will post results here. Wish me luck!

Sorry I didn't reply, was in bed.

I've tried to do everything thats been said in this guide, and still nothing is working. Isn't there a way of just like opening the .exe file and then installing it? I don't have a DVD burner, so I can't make that.

Any help is welcomed.

With the RC I installed by using daemon tools to mount the .iso file as i didn't have a DVD burner, and it worked (was dual booting with XP)

Still need help with my original question though.
Guessing I would just change this Oscdimg.exe –u2 –b"C:\Win 7\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" –h "C:\Win 7\expandedSetup" C:\WIN7.ISO to where my files are located?
So as there in F drive it would be Oscdimg.exe –u2 –b"F:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" –h "F:\expandedSetup" F:\WIN7.ISO?

And put the Oscdimg.exe program in system 32 not in its own folder?

edit: got it working had to type manualy

Last edited:
Hi, I have been using the following script to make the ISO, and I just cant get it to work.

I have tried using several different locations for the files all to no avail.

I currently am using the directories:
C:\A\expandedSetup
C:\A\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com

I have used the following coddes to with an error message on both:
Oscdimg.exe –u2 –b C:\A\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com –h C:\A\expandedSetup C:\WIN7.ISO
error - Failure enumerating files in the directory

Oscdimg.exe –u2 –bC:\A\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com –h C:\A\expandedSetup C:\WIN7.ISO
error - could not delete existing file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Back