Windows 7 UK Student Download Version?

i keep getting this error when extracting the files "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only" anyway i decided to ignore that and create the iso file which i did and when i try to burn the iso image it fails, it retrys about 20 times and then fails, i have wasted about 6 dvds already why wont it burn? i have tried using DVD decrypter and ImgBurn, is it because of the error i got earlier when extracting the files to the folder called "expandedsetup" ? please help

ok well i manage to get around my burn problem i just used my brothers computer to burn the ISO seems like my computer had some issues oh well, hopefully my windows 7 iso dvd will work even though i got that error while extracting.

Last edited:
I am getting this same error even though read-only is not checked on any of the files. I have the U.S. Student version, DL'ed to a computer running vista, and need the bootable disk to install on a Mac w/Boot Camp!

Have filepaths and screenie!

Thanks in advance

That worked, thanks!

Using the oscdimg.exe as you described worked fine for me. Thanks, I thought I wasn't going to be able to pull off a Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit upgrade until I saw your post regarding making the bootable DVD

Signed up to say a massive thank you. I was gutted to see all I got was an .exe and bunch of junk when I downloaded the pro version. After a few attempts, I had my ISO burnt and Windows 7 Professional 64bit installed and running.

The guide didn't work whilst trying to make the ISO under Windows XP Home 32bit, so I had to install Windows 7 Ultimate RC 64bit and then follow this guide.

Regardless, I am happy I have a FULL install disk (and to think they wanted £9 for it!)

Thank you!

Hi matt,

You won't necessarily need to unblock - only unblock if they are blocked. Just go ahead with the rest of the instructions.

No etfsboot.com file

I just downloaded the Student Version of Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. There is no etfsboot.com file on my hard drive. Some instructions say to get Windows AIK for Windows 7. Can I just grab the file from there?

Why am I having to go find a file to get the installation to work? Bad omen for Windows 7?

Last edited:
I just downloaded the Student Version of Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. There is no etfsboot.com file on my hard drive. Some instructions say to get Windows AIK for Windows 7. Can I just grab the file from there?

Why am I having to go find a file to get the installation to work? Bad omen for Windows 7?

You don't need to "go find" any file... just let it install.. However if you want a setup where you can do a CLEAN install on a system with no operating system you have to tweak the upgrade version so it will boot. I guess that's what they are trying to do.

etfsboot.com is in the boot folder in the expandedsetup folder on your desktop.... but this method they are talking about seems to be pretty much much hit or miss... lot of people getting error messages.... I tried it a few times and got the same error messages they did. Apparently they are just trying to create an iso from the files.... UltraISO is so much easier to do that... and it works for everyone.

Hi tblount,

If they are getting error messages, I am afraid they are not doing it right - or they have a corrupt download, or bad burn.

Were you able to make bootable .iso from the windows installation files using UltraIso?

I had no idea it could cope with the non standard etfsboot.com. That must be a new feature.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
I found it on the Internet, downloaded it into the same folder as the box files, ran the command file, and a 2.5GB .iso file was built. I have no idea if there are multiple versions of etfsboot.com, but the file was NOT on my hard drive. Therefore the instructions here do not work.

After I installed the file I found, I reran the command line instructions from here, and if the ISO works, it worked fine.

Thanks.

It would not be possible for you to create a bootable .iso from the installation files without etfsboot.com.

Many many many people have done it over the last few hours.

Did you look in the expandedsetup folder inside the folder called boot - there it should be.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Hi tblount,

If they are getting error messages, I am afraid they are not doing it right - or they have a corrupt download, or bad burn.

Were you able to make bootable .iso from the windows installation files using UltraIso?

I had no idea it could cope with the non standard etfsboot.com. That must be a new feature.

Thanks for the info.

First off... putting an example on here ... that is hard coded to use some user's name and expecting people to figure out how to edit it and put in their user name... is not the best of ideas. Won't %uersprofile% make it work for everyone?

UltraIso... even the demo has options to make a bootable anything .. i didn't use that part.

Next ... once you have the iso it's easy to make a bootable USB drive with one click and unetbootin. That was my goal. Now I have a bootable usb that I can pug into any computer and intall any version of windows 7 64 from home to ultimate. I realize other people don't care about this. But for me it's the most simple way of turning a UPGRADE verision into a FULL version that will install on a system that has a clean hard drive. It gets around Three major problems... 1. cost of full.. 2. it boots 3. it installs to clean drive.

It would not be possible for you to create a bootable .iso from the installation files without etfsboot.com.

Many many many people have done it over the last few hours.

Did you look in the expandedsetup folder inside the folder called boot - there it should be.

Link Removed due to 404 Error
Yes, I looked there and do a drive-wide search. etfsboot.com was not on my hard drive. (If you do a Google search, you will see that I am not the only person who did not have it.)

As I said, since adding etfsboot.com to the boot folder, everything appears to be working. It's way past bedtime here, so it will be this weekend before I can test the image.

Yes, bootable usb drive is a good idea,. There are plenty of tutorials about that.

I did not write a general tutorial on this site - the instructions and I posted were in a direct reponse to a question from one user.

A couple of others then requested the same.

I think you will find that for those who do want to make a bootable .iso from Windows installation files - UltraIso, PowerIso, MagicIso , Nero, Roxio etc etc cannot do it.

The etfsboot.com file does not conform to the ISO standard.

Specially made apps. are required.

Yes, I looked there and do a drive-wide search. etfsboot.com was not on my hard drive. (If you do a Google search, you will see that I am not the only person who did not have it.)

As I said, since adding etfsboot.com to the boot folder, everything appears to be working. It's way past bedtime here, so it will be this weekend before I can test the image.

Ah - that's what you meant by "it".

I found it on the Internet, downloaded it into the same folder as the box files, ran the command file,
Thanks for the info - most people have etfsboot.com, certainly - so not sure what happened to yours. :confused:

Good luck with the installation.

Last edited:
I have Windows XP 32 Bit Pro and have the student download Windows 7 64 bit Pro from Digital River. Can I do a clean install and activate windows 7 64 bit with the ISO.

Back