Windows 7 Unable to Delete a .mkv Video File

Sorry if this is late, but I've noticed this happening to other files, not just mkv. Usually I just log off and log back on, that resets whatever part of windows explorer that seems to be "using" the file. It's some weird glitch, but I've also discovered emptying the recycling bin has worked also. I was able to delete the file just fine after that. No need for installing other programs or restarting the computer. Haven't had this workaround not work for me, so hopefully this will help.

Thanks for the reply! The only thing that seemed to work for me was killing "explorer" with task manager. Cheers! Pete

I managed to delete the file through command prompt but I think it's still on my computer because I had 2gb free space before deletion and after i restarted my computer, I still only have 2gb free space although I should have 3gb as the file deleted was 1 gb. Is there a way to check or something?

When I've had issues like this that I can't resolve, I use my Ubuntu boot disk to boot into Linux and delete the files.
A Ubuntu disk is a very handy thing to have around.

Ubuntu doesn't care about how Windows feels about it. LOL

Home | Ubuntu

Guys, guys, you're missing something. This is due of a "File Preview" in your windows explorer that automatically "opens" the MKV file (and others), to see file details on the bottom of the window of explorer (the file resolution, size, date, etc.). When this happens, you won't be able to delete nor rename files that were previewed by windows... because it "opened" it.

Not everything is a virus like the first responses were speculating.

I have a .mkv video file which I cannot rename, move, or delete. Every time I do so this message shows: "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in windows explorer. Close the file and try again." If I try to delete the folder, a similar message pops up saying that a file is in use in another program.

I've done some searching on the Internet for solutions and have tried the following:
- restarting the computer and retrying
- using safe mode to delete the file
- running some commands
- downloaded the following software: CCleaner, FileASSASIN, Glary Utilities, and Unlocker

I downloaded Unlocker but never found a way to use it, so I downloaded the other programs, but none of them solved my problem. Furthermore, I tried re-downloading the file from a different website, was unable to replace the original file, and ended up with two undeletable files. I then tried to copy the file so I could at least have a non-problematic copy (this apparently worked for other people) and now I have three undeletable copies.

Please help!
(Note: If someone offers a command-type solution, I warn you I am a complete novice at typing commands so please give very detailed instructions. Thank you.)

But what has this got to do with deleting the annoying file? Agree with the not a virus quote :) Done what u said & file deleted fine....

Guys, guys, you're missing something. This is due of a "File Preview" in your windows explorer that automatically "opens" the MKV file (and others), to see file details on the bottom of the window of explorer (the file resolution, size, date, etc.). When this happens, you won't be able to delete nor rename files that were previewed by windows... because it "opened" it.

Not everything is a virus like the first responses were speculating.

I think the point is that if it thinks the file is open in any application Windows won't let you delete it.
And it's Windows Explorer that's opening it.
You have to click on it to open it, and once you click on it, it can't open it.

That's where something like Ubuntu comes in handy.

And you won't get the space back until you empty the recycle bin.
Once you do that and reopen Explorer you should see the space returned.

Try running CCleaner, it can sometimes free up a lot of space.

Last edited:
I have a .mkv video file which I cannot rename, move, or delete. Every time I do so this message shows: "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in windows explorer. Close the file and try again." If I try to delete the folder, a similar message pops up saying that a file is in use in another program.

I've done some searching on the Internet for solutions and have tried the following:
- restarting the computer and retrying
- using safe mode to delete the file
- running some commands
- downloaded the following software: CCleaner, FileASSASIN, Glary Utilities, and Unlocker

I downloaded Unlocker but never found a way to use it, so I downloaded the other programs, but none of them solved my problem. Furthermore, I tried re-downloading the file from a different website, was unable to replace the original file, and ended up with two undeletable files. I then tried to copy the file so I could at least have a non-problematic copy (this apparently worked for other people) and now I have three undeletable copies.

Please help!
(Note: If someone offers a command-type solution, I warn you I am a complete novice at typing commands so please give very detailed instructions. Thank you.)

Run the Task Manager and go to the processes tab. Find the file name in the running processes and End-process it. After that you will be able to delete/rename it.

Yes, one of the solutions is to use another operating system installed side-by-side with Win7. it's quite a lengthy task though, having to restart and boot up another OS (and then restart again, and go back to windows—because you can't open the video on Linux due to lack of decoders).

I use OpenSUSE and Ubuntu 11. (I actually have "Quad" Boot: Win XP, Win 7, Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE in one PC)

When Linux experiences the same problem of having unable to delete or rename a file because another application has it opened, Linux has very easy-to-access commands to "unmount" the file being used in Process.

This Windows 7 Inconvenience is actually a bug. I wonder if Windows support has taken note of this.

I think the point is that if it thinks the file is open in any application Windows won't let you delete it.
And it's Windows Explorer that's opening it.
You have to click on it to open it, and once you click on it, it can't open it.

That's where something like Ubuntu comes in handy.

And you won't get the space back until you empty the recycle bin.
Once you do that and reopen Explorer you should see the space returned.

Try running CCleaner, it can sometimes free up a lot of space.

jsut had this similar issue my self after reading the tips and tricks here i was able to delete the 5 mkv files

1 opening dos prompt through windows
2 closing explorer.exe
3 reopening explorer.exe but NOT selecting any of the files but having the directory open ((i had to do this because the dir list was quite long and the names rather complex))
3 deleting the files manually using the del (filename).mkv format

It's also possible that the decoder (codec) your using for mkv decoding is bad at unlocking files when generating previews, etc. You may try switching to a different codec, it may help!

When I've had issues like this that I can't resolve, I use my Ubuntu boot disk to boot into Linux and delete the files.
A Ubuntu disk is a very handy thing to have around.

Ubuntu doesn't care about how Windows feels about it. LOL
Interesting. Do you mean an Ubuntu "work" disk, not needed to be installed, or do you mean Ubuntu has to be installed? I've once witnessed an engineer fix Windows Millenium with a Linux CD, and no part of it was ever installed. Personally, I still find GParted to be the most reliable partition tool.

Hi Titanic

I have Ubuntu on a DVD, I pop it in and boot up.
The OS is all on the disk, and doesn't have any components on my PC.

Even if Windows is totally borked it will start almost any any computer, and let you access your files, get online, get to a forum for help etc.

It has a built in browser, word processor file manager etc.

I've used it many times to backup data, on a non booting computers, mine and other people's before reinstalling.

It has also let me solve issues with things that Windows for some reason won't let my access, like a file it won't let me delete.

It's great having the disk around, you can always use it as a last resort, to get into a crashed computer.
It's worth the time to make a disk just in case you need it some time.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Check out the take the tour button...

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/take-the-tour

The disk can be used to install Ubuntu on your PC as well, but I've never done that, I just opt to run it from the disk.

For someone who only wanted to do the normal things like email, word processing, browes, watch videos, or listen to music, it could be your only operating system, the problem comes when you want to run other software like Photoshop or games like Skyrim, it's either a hassle or impossible.

Mike

Last edited:
Very nice. The curious part in my personality couldn't resist the temptation, so I had to test it. Some problems with burning the .iso to a working disc, but then it worked just swell. I deleted some files in Windows with success. I also noticed, with reference to http://windowsforum.com/threads/fake-software-ive-been-tricked-and-im-careful.115278/#post-325115 that it all seems to get out of hand - almost impossible to download something without getting some extra. I would declare a war!

"Once upon a time you could buy a cow, and that was it". It was in the days when Clint Eastwood rode. Alright, never mind... :)

This x100!

I had this same issue and just figured out the reason. I had Divx installed and that caused the issue. After uninstalling Divx, i was able to rename/move/delete the files with no issues. If you have any codec packages installed, try uninstalling them.

Back
Top Bottom