Windows 8 Unable to load any webpages

Laure Bruner

Windows 8 has been working great since I got my laptop in late December. We had internet issues Thursday night and had to have service out to get our internet back up and running yesterday afternoon.

Now I can send/receive email using Outlook, Dropbox updates and a game I play that accesses the internet connects fine. None of my Windows Apps that rely on browser connectivity will run (Facebook App, etc.). I've tried connecting to websites using IE, Chrome and Firefox but all return an error that the network cannot be accessed.

All other devices in the house can connect with no issues.

We had internet issues Thursday night and had to have service out to get our internet back up and running yesterday afternoon.

What was the issue... and what did the tech do to fix it?
Open a command promt and type ipconfig /all... post results.

config.png

The tech never came in the house. The issue was on the line up the street. Trying to figure out how to paste a screenshot when I can't access the forum from the laptop with the issue.

1. Contact embarqservices.net… is there any fault on the line before you go pulling your hair out?

2. What is making the virtual network i.e. hyper-v, vmware etc… you can lock yourself out with v-networks so that needs to be cheeked.

3. Check the network type i.e. home, work or unknown?

1. The line is fine now. All other devices in the house connect and can browse normally. I took the problem laptop to the office where I work and had the same issues even though it was a different Internet provider.

2. I don't know anything about virtual networks. How do I check that?

3. The network at home is set as home. When I connected at the office it was set as work.

1. [windows key] + [x], then press [w]… this will bring up network connection and you can see screenshot to help trouble shoot the settings.
Screenshot (34).png

2. Then go to control panel… network & sharing centre to see your active networks.

Screenshot (33).png

Yours will look a bit different but shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Does this computer come from a work/ school environment with a firewall or proxy server… I'm wondering who set this system up for you because your wifi shows a dns suffix and that’s not something you would normally expect to find on a home system.

Screenshot 2014-09-08 06.10.31.png
Screenshot 2014-09-08 06.10.50.png
Screenshot 2014-09-08 06.28.26.png
I am the one who set up the computer. As for the network connection, I simply looked at the wireless networks available, chose the SSID of the modem and entered the passphrase provided by Centurylink when they sent the modem. As near as I can see, there is no DNS prespecified. It is set to automatically obtain one.

Last edited:
Call Centurylink and have them walk you through or they may be able to reset it from their end. Had same problem and that is what it took to fix it. If you know your IP and DNS you can type it in manually. Still it would be better to try and reset your modem/router.

I'll try that this evening. All other devices in the house are using these exact settings with no problem browsing the net.

I don't know many other devices you have but I had my desktop and laptop on mine. For whatever reason my laptop still worked but not so with the desktop until I reset my modem.

I have one other laptop, a desktop and a couple of Kindles. This laptop that is having the issues is the newest and the only one running Windows 8.

Try to use these address's and see what happens. You will have to manually enter them.

IP: 192.168.0.99
IP: 192.168.0.1

DNS: 205.171.3.65
DNS: 205.171.2.65

Try to use these address's and see what happens. You will have to manually enter them.

IP: 192.168.0.99
IP: 192.168.0.1

DNS: 205.171.3.65
DNS: 205.171.2.65
I manually entered these numbers and lost all connectivity to the internet. Apparently those numbers don't work with CenturyLink in Texas :(

I am sorry, I am in New Mexico and figured century link would be pretty much the same. My apologies. I guess it would be best then to call them and have them give you the numbers.

Been through that with them. Hang in there. They have to take your call sometime.

Been on the line with one of their "techs" almost 45 minutes with no resolution. Told him right off the bat that other devices were connected fine but 30 minutes into the call when I reiterated it, it was like "why didn't you tell me sooner"?

Got to love techs who listen to what you tell them.

Back