Windows 8.1 Says is connected to the internet, but won't load any webpages

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Networking' started by INeedHelpSoIMadeAnAccount, Apr 25, 2014.

1. INeedHelpSoIMadeAnAccount

I have a Toshiba Satellite E45t-A4100 laptop with Windows 8.1. It says that it's connecting to the internet, but whenever I tried to load a webpage, it'll say that the webpage is not available. I tried on both Chrome and IE, but the problem persists.
    It'll get to google just fine if I type 74.125.225.179 into the url bar, but I'll get the same message if I click on any hyperlinks.
    I've tried restarting the computer multiple times and resetting my IP address, but no dice. Any ideas on how to fix this issue, or is it a lost cause?

2. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

That normally indicates your dns is not responding…
    Please press [windows key] + [x] and select "command prompt (Admin)" This should load up into a new administrator cmd panel where you can run this next script from
    Type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and press enter.
    Q1. What address (number) is your dns?
    Q2. What address (number) is your gateway?
    To keep it simple most problems can be fixed by having these numbers the same as each other i.e set the dns to the same number as your gateway… if that doesn’t fix it or you need more help then please post a screen showing the ipconfig setting.

3. INeedHelpSoIMadeAnAccount

Both the "dns servers" and the "default gateway" items have the same address number, 192.168.1.1

4. ussnorway

I can't help without information m8… if you can't work out how to take the screenshot then right click on the cmd program and pick "select all"… this will copy all the text inside the box and you can then paste it into an editor like Microsoft word.

The zip file contains a simple video to demo this.

p.s. sorry about the zip format but apparently that’s the only type of zip file this forum understands… so low teck! :(

Attached Files:

5. INeedHelpSoIMadeAnAccount

Sorry. Slipped my mind. Thanks for the copy/paste suggestion. Here you go:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Stanley
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-51-4F-AF-6A-F8
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-51-4F-AF-6A-F5

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-1A-06-7B-94-0E

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-51-4F-AF-6A-F4
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6d28:7a36:e106:f529%3(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.16(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 25, 2014 6:35:05 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 27, 2014 8:56:59 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 56381775
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-51-5E-D6-20-1A-06-7B-94-0E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FB6B1D21-A10E-421E-A7D5-75700E50E354}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Windows\system32>

6. ussnorway

Well lets try something else.

1. Confirm that we aren’t trying to use a proxy server, i.e. does work or school have one?

2. Is the network at your home an old one i.e. it worked before?... have you recently changed service providers? Some service providers map the mac address of the clients router and store that info so I just need you to confirm for me that nothing has changed on this network apart from you doing it.
    dns.
    Now please open the Network from the control panel and manually change your preferred dns address to 8.8.8.8 (this is a public dns server owned by google) and type "https://www.google.com.au/" into the web browser (without the quotes) then try some of the other Google webpage links… does it work now?

7. INeedHelpSoIMadeAnAccount

1. No, we are not concerned with a proxy server

2. The network at home has worked before, though the laptop that I'm having problems with is relatively new. I've had it for about a month, though I started having this issue only a few days ago. Service provider is still the same.

I tried the 8.8.8.8 thing but that isn't working. It won't even go to Google.

8. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Take some time and double confirm that your browser(s) are not using a proxy server by mistake.
    In Internet Explorer click the little gear icon in the top right hand corner below the "X" (close window) and choose internet options.
    Choose the connections tab and click the LAN settings button and uncheck anything that is checked and click OK.

I noticed you have an normal ethernet adapter (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) can you temporarily connect that with a standard Cat5 cable and see if the problem persists?

Check here C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    Open the file called hosts it should look like this
    If it doesn't, edit it in notepad until it does (you may have to remove the read only flag in the file properties before you can edit it and save it successfully)

Finally what security suite software do you currently have installed and or, perhaps a better questions is what security suite software have you previously had installed.
    We've seen it thousands of times where an unsuccessful removal of Security Suite Software has left remnants which result in this type of behavior.

Sometimes you can check the properties of your network card and see this.
    Hold the Windows Logo key and strike the R key and type
    ncpa.cpl
    In the resultant properties box select the network card you are currently using, right click and choose properties
    In the area labeled "This connection uses the following items:"
    Scroll if necessary and see if you can find any reference to a software product that you are currently using or formerly used if you find something suspicious just uncheck it and see if that helps.

Otherwise you may want to Google for the vendor specific proprietary removal tool and use that to rid yourself of any remnants. Just type the product into your search engine followed by the two words "removal tool" and see what turns up.
    Here are three of the most popular
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 actually the link to that tool is further down in the article here http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

ussnorway likes this.
  9. ussnorway

Well spotted…The localhost (i.e. 127.0.0.1) address loop is so old school that I completely forgot about it.

The # symbol is a comment and anything that starts with it is ignored But a number then name could be overriding other settings e.g

# 192.168.0.1 nibbithost would be safe because of the # at the start but

192.168.0.1 nibbithost2

Would say that nibbithost2 resides at the address of 192.168.0.1 which could interfere with normal dns function.

p.s Chrome and ie uses the same proxy settings but Firefox can be set independently which makes it handy for problem shooting connection issues like this.

#9 ussnorway, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  10. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Internet connections have always been, and will remain, a mystery to me. But it looks like you are only connecting, with domain names, to the router, and not to your IP provider. I would try and set your router back to defaults, if you are able, Otherwise set the dns (in the router) to automatic

11. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

I've used Hosts file for years to block junk. Now they are using 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1
    Joe