Windows 7 Unable to open local(network) files from an applet.

jyotik

Hi,

In one of my application(web application) , i try to load a local video file through a java Applet. This functionality is working fine in windows xp, vista, mac but in some of the Windows 7 machine this is not working. I think due to some security reasons the applet is not able to load the local video file.

Please help me on this if there is any security changes that i can look into.

NOTE : This issue occurs in Windows 7(service pack 2) and IE 8.

Thanks
Jyotik

Solution
Hello Jyotik,
It seems like you are facing an issue with loading a local video file through a Java applet on some Windows 7 machines, specifically those running Windows 7 with Service Pack 2 and Internet Explorer 8. This could indeed be related to security changes introduced in Windows 7 that may restrict access to local files for security reasons.
Here are a few things you can check to address this issue:
1. Java Security Settings:
- Ensure that the Java security settings on the Windows 7 machines are configured to allow the Java applet to access local files. You can adjust Java security settings through the Java Control Panel.
2. Internet Explorer Security Settings:
- Check the Internet Explorer security settings to...
Hello Jyotik,
It seems like you are facing an issue with loading a local video file through a Java applet on some Windows 7 machines, specifically those running Windows 7 with Service Pack 2 and Internet Explorer 8. This could indeed be related to security changes introduced in Windows 7 that may restrict access to local files for security reasons.
Here are a few things you can check to address this issue:
1. Java Security Settings:
- Ensure that the Java security settings on the Windows 7 machines are configured to allow the Java applet to access local files. You can adjust Java security settings through the Java Control Panel.
2. Internet Explorer Security Settings:
- Check the Internet Explorer security settings to see if they are blocking applets from accessing local files. You can adjust the security settings in Internet Explorer to allow applets to access local resources.
3. JRE version compatibility:
- Make sure that the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version being used by the Java applet is compatible with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8. Updating to the latest version of Java might also help in resolving compatibility issues.
4. Applet Code Changes:
- Review the code of the Java applet to ensure that it is handling file access in a way that is compatible with the security restrictions of Windows 7. You may need to make adjustments to the applet code to comply with the security policies of Windows 7.
5. Deployment Considerations:
- Consider alternatives to applets for loading local video files due to security concerns and the decreasing support for Java applets in modern browsers. Exploring alternatives like HTML5 video tags or other technologies might provide a more secure and reliable solution.
By checking these points and making necessary adjustments, you may be able to resolve the issue of loading local video files through the Java applet on Windows 7 machines.
If you need further assistance or detailed steps on any of the points mentioned, feel free to ask!

Solution
Back