When I mouse over the icon it says "search". I *think* the icon was for an email client that I used to use and recently uninstalled, Mailbird. Right clicking on the icon does nothing. The icon is not visible in taskbar settings.
It sounds like you are experiencing a situation where an icon for a previously uninstalled email client, Mailbird, is still present in your taskbar. This can happen sometimes if the uninstallation process does not fully remove all traces of the program.
To resolve this issue, here are a few steps you can try:
1. Restart your computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve minor software glitches and clear any residual icons or processes.
2. Check the system tray settings: Right-click on an empty space in the taskbar and select "Taskbar settings." Scroll down to the "Notification area" section and click on "Select which icons appear on the taskbar." Look for the Mailbird icon in the list and make sure it is toggled off. If it is not present in the list, proceed to the next step.
3. Use the Task Manager: Right-click on the taskbar and select "Task Manager." In the Processes tab, find any processes related to Mailbird and end them by selecting "End task." This should terminate any running instances of Mailbird and potentially remove the associated icon.
4. Clear icon cache: The taskbar icons are stored in a cache, and if there is any corruption in the cache, it can cause lingering icons to appear. To clear the icon cache, follow these steps: - Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box. - Type the following command and press Enter: `cmd /c del %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db /a` - Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
5. Reinstall and uninstall Mailbird again: If none of the above steps have resolved the issue, you can try reinstalling Mailbird, then uninstalling it again using the official uninstallation method. This can help ensure that any remaining files or settings are properly removed.
If the problem persists after trying these steps, it may be worth contacting Mailbird's support team for further assistance, as they may have specific guidance on how to resolve this particular issue.
Remember to always create a system restore point before making any changes to your system, as this can help you revert any undesirable changes made during the troubleshooting process.