Windows 7 Unablt to install 64 bit w7

Arlocanta

I have a comp that is able to run 64 bit as I have had vista 64 on it before. I have 3 hd's two are blank 250 and 500 gb and a 1.5t I have nothing plugged into comp as in printers and such as I thought that might be the problem not it. I can open 32 bit in windows xp and run it but not 64 and am unable to boot from it same thing with the 32 bit cant boot from it either so I figured I couldn't use a sata cd/dvd drive I used my old IDE and it doesnt recognize either in boot up or in win xp I thought it was a dead drive but it playes movies music and another dvd I could find so don't think its the drive.

I have tried searching for the problem on the net but I come up things that are only similar to my problem or beta info adn yes I have gone through several compatibility tests 64 able I do have the ram 2x 1 gig sticks and 1 2 gig so its not the ram.

Hi Arlocanta,

Could you post your system spec (the hardware used) as this will help forum users to help you..:)

When you start your computer do you get a screen to make a choice as to what operating system you want to run?

nope I get something like boot from disk put disk in and press enter but it says I didn't put the disk in witch I did.

Since Windows 7 is installed on the second drive, I would suggest you restart tour computer and see if you have a boot menu option. Choose the first hard drive in the list, If that fails, choose the second hard drive in the list and see it that boots. If It does, you'll need to get into the BIOS and move that drive to the top position.

I have a comp that is able to run 64 bit as I have had vista 64 on it before. I have 3 hd's two are blank 250 and 500 gb and a 1.5t I have nothing plugged into comp as in printers and such as I thought that might be the problem not it. I can open 32 bit in windows xp and run it but not 64 and am unable to boot from it same thing with the 32 bit cant boot from it either so I figured I couldn't use a sata cd/dvd drive I used my old IDE and it doesnt recognize either in boot up or in win xp I thought it was a dead drive but it playes movies music and another dvd I could find so don't think its the drive.

I have tried searching for the problem on the net but I come up things that are only similar to my problem or beta info adn yes I have gone through several compatibility tests 64 able I do have the ram 2x 1 gig sticks and 1 2 gig so its not the ram.

I would unplug the powewr to all drives except the one you want to install to. Boot prority that you set in the biosmenu may or may not be the same proiority that is set when you have more than one drive and boot to dvd install disk.

All right I did as tblount said and still no go on that now I think my ide drive just doesnt detect win 7 discs just everything els besides that I thought maybe it was the ram I have had problems in the past with it cant go beyond 4 gigs for some reason so I tryed 2x 2 gig sticks didnt even turn on went to the old 2x 1 gig sticks and tblount idea still no go on that and yes all sticks of ram are compatible.

Now that I try win7 32 bit it says not enough space on drives that are completely blank they are partitioned ntfs I am a little annoyed about this whole thing now I cant get either 32 or 64 to work.

Last edited:
All right I did as tblount said and still no go on that now I think my ide drive just doesnt detect win 7 discs just everything els besides that I thought maybe it was the ram I have had problems in the past with it cant go beyond 4 gigs for some reason so I tryed 2x 2 gig sticks didnt even turn on went to the old 2x 1 gig sticks and tblount idea still no go on that and yes all sticks of ram are compatible.

Now that I try win7 32 bit it says not enough space on drives that are completely blank they are partitioned ntfs I am a little annoyed about this whole thing now I cant get either 32 or 64 to work.

Win 7 disk really doesn't have anything to do with it. The system has to set up hard drives. Reset the bios to factory default.. or clear the cmos with the jumpers.

Put in only one drive that has been backed up and remove ALL partitions, then Custom install. About 1 out of 5 problems here are related to partitions

You'll have to get the system to find the hard drive.

When you say the ide drive ...find the win 7 disk... are you talking abou a DVD ?

I think it may be time for you to take your system to a computer shop. Sounds like your hardware isn't working.

I know I already asked this this question,. but you never replied.

Could you also post a screen shot of Disk Management?

If its my hardware what could I do personally to fix the problem upgrade get another dvd drive or is it somthing els.

If its my hardware what could I do personally to fix the problem upgrade get another dvd drive or is it somthing els.

There are several possibilities. Here are some steps I would take.

First, does the system boot to vista or xp and will it identify the dvd and read disks?

That would let you know if your dvd works.

If it doesn't the next step would be to try it in another computer.. BEFORE you went out and bought another dvd that didn't work in your system either.

It's just difficult to guess. You could easily end up spending more than a new computer would cost and it still wouldn't work... but you could charge it up to education and knowledge.

Anyway, it gets more complicated... it's like when you car won't crank.. you may go buy another battery, then it still only cranks a couple times.. then you buy a new alternator, but it still doesn't always start so you buy another starter... still it may not work and then the computer has to be checked out... then you may have to try to find a short in the system wireing.... you get the idea..

It would have been wiser to get a mechanic to identify the problem in the first place.

I see well I will try that.
Maybe I can install vista ultimate then upgrade to win 7 can I do that without having to activate vista Ill try that as well.

Back