Windows 10 Unexpected_Store_Exception, can no longer boot

Adiventure

Not 100% sure this is the right place, since I am unable to get a dump file, but it is bsod related. I've got a windows machine that periodically (currently, every week or two) has been getting to a state where it won't boot. Each time is preceeded by an unexpected_store_exception, or critical_process_died error, and is often then followed by an innaccessible_boot_device (I've seen a few variatioins of this). Generally once I get the first bsod the machine won't actually boot until I reinstall, which is a tremendous pita. Startup repair tends to either fail, or not find an issue. Rebuilding boot index has done nothing, and I've seen restoring from an ISO either fail in the restore process or succeed, but keep throwing up the same error on boot. As far as I can tell whatever that initial error is is corrupting something in my boot files badly enough that the only fix is a clean install. That being said, I don't understand why an ISO wouldn't do the same. I've replaced memory, ssd (system, not all the 8 drives in the pc. I do however remove the extras while installing to be sure the boot files are definately on C), motherboard, cpu, and even a wireless card I thought might be causing the problem. As much as I like to think this is a hardware issue, I find it hard to believe that I got 2 pieces with the same problem to make this reoccur.

The only other thing that has worked in the past, though now seems not to, is unplugging the extra drives and then running a repair on just C. That being said, right now it seems frozen at Preparing Automatic Repair.

Chkdsk and memory diagnostics have never turned up issues.

Any ideas? I don't even know how to troubleshoot it since I can't even get into windows to get a dump. Even if I could, the bsods seem to often stall at 0% and require hard restarts.

I'm running whatever the most recent slow track insider preview is. Drives are wd green 3tb drives for storage, and a samsung 850 pro for C. Other details available on request.

Hi Adventure,
I was going to suggest using a Windows 10 installation disk/USB to boot from but only to enter the recovery console and then safe mode. If you can do this see if you can grab the dump files. This 'Sticky' also has an app which may help if you get it to run as well as information:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

I would also remove all of your drives apart from C.

I've been keeping the drives removed while doing troubleshooting (well, unplugged from power, they're still connected with sata). Trying advanced startup the pc boots imediately into startup repair. Which in turn fails.

Have you considered trying another hard drive? Constantly having to re-install sounds like something is on the way out. I would at least give it a try as it will prove either way whther the SSD is running ok.

I have swapped the drive out once, originally it was a kingston SSD. Do you think another would be the solution? Or may there be something else killing the drives.

Personally I'd unplug all the drives even though they are unconnected via power plugs and then pop the SSD onto port 0, if it's already in port 0 try port 1.

Done and done. No change w/ regards to the current loop of bluescreens and booting. New HDD is arriving on Wed and I'll try restoring my most recent ISO onto that, but I'm not optimistic. Any other ideas?

I'll have another look at your dump file and see if anything presents itself. Post back shortly.

Just realised you don't have any.

So even when you change the boot order and boot from the install disk it still goes into a failed auto repair?

Also could you post the specification of the machine your using? Thank you :)

Haha, np.

When I fully remove all other drives and boot from a disk it goes to the recovery environment. I can get to the recovery enviroment without a disk too. In both cases repairs fail, and booting into safe mode fails.

Specs:
asus Sabertooth 990fx r2
AMD Phenom 2 x4 965
Kingston hyperx savage 2400 ddr3 2x8gb
samsung 850 evo 512gb ssd
corsair ax860i
ceton eyefinity tuner
asus pce ac88
plus a bunch of completely disconnected wd greens

When I fully remove all other drives and boot from a disk it goes to the recovery environment.
So, if i have this correct, when you boot from the windows 10 install disk rather than get the usual install page like this (just an example ignore the set up info)
l7vi4tcg2euektfw4zkl.jpg

you boot straight into the recovery section?

You must be able to put a fresh copy of Windows on and I cannot understand why the machine is booting straight to recovery.... What partitions are there on the drive?

I also experienced the 'unexpected store exception' Bsod message, and i looked at the event viewer which had the message 'The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71'. After looking this up i found that i needed to change my power options from balanced to high performance, now it is back to normal.

Back