Windows 8 Unidentified network, no internet access

Lisamarie

Please help!! We just got a Arris modem and it will connect to everything else wireless expect the laptop. The laptop is a Dell and it runs on windows 7. The laptop will connect to the modem by the Ethernet cable, but not wireless. The dell will contect to others wifi. Just not the one we have. So its being a pain in the butt.

I don't know if this will help

This connected by ethernet

Description...........Realtek PCle FE Family Controller
Physical Address........24-B6-FD-4C-EA-07
DHCP Enabled........yes
IPv4 address.................192.168.0.2
IPv4 subnet mask........255.255.255.0
IPv4 default Gateway...... 192.168.0.1
IPv4 DHCP server......192.168.0.1
IPv4 dns server.............207.91.5.20

This is by wireless

Description...........DW1503 Wireless-N half-mini card
Physical Address........E0-06-E6-2B-1F-00
DHCP Enabled.......NO
autoconfiguration IPv4.....169.254.6.35
IPv4 subnet mask........255.255.255.0
IPv4 default Gateway...... 192.168.0.1
IPv4 dns server....... none
IPv4 wins server............none

If you need any other info please let know. I really need help in fixing this.

You need to enable dhcp on the wireless adapter of your laptop:

Goto network and sharing centre, change adapter settings, right click on wireless adapter, select properties, scroll down to internet protocol version 4, click on properties, select "obtain an ip address automatically" and also select "obtain dns server address automatically". Chain back out. and reboot.

Well I did as you said and it still is not working, but the details are different.

Attachments

• gfvdcxz.PNG
    gfvdcxz.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 442
That shows a big improvement - try going back to the adapter properties, select "use the following dns server addresses" and enter the value 192.168.0.1 into the space provided.

Last edited:
I never used command prompt before, so I don't know if I did it right. I put in ping yahoo.com, then after I put ping 98.138.253.109. Well it didn't change anything.

you should have got replies from each of the ping commands - either successful or unsuccessful. Each of the two ping commands need to be entered separately, pressing enter after each one.

Well that proves your wifi is connecting to the internet and that your DNS server is functioning correctly. What browser are you using? Have you tried more than one?

I have tried other ones and nothing. Under network and sharing center says access type: no internet access

Attachments

• 222.PNG
    222.PNG
    9 KB · Views: 416
You might have to reset your modem. If not sure call the company or IP provider and have them walk you through. Had that problem last week and after entering my info manually, I still had to call and get it reset. I hope that helps. It worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom