Windows 7 Uninstaller Problem- InstallShield?

sammypop

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but any help would be appreciated. I just recently tried to uninstall a mouse driver and got the following error message:

"There was a problem starting
C:\Progra~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctorr.dll
The specified module could not be found."

I followed the path, and the file wasn't there, so I downloaded a ctor.dll file, put it where it should be, then tried uninstalling again, but got this message:

"The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched.
Class not registered"

I'm guessing somehow some of the files for InstallShield have been deleted, but can't seem to find any way to repair it. A system restore didn't solve the problem.
Any help would be really great- I just want to be able to uninstall things again.

Just copying the dll into the folder will not enable it - it also needs to be "registered". Execute a command prompt by going to programs, accessories, right click on command prompt and run as administrator. In the command prompt windoe execute this command:

regsvr32 C:\Progra~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctorr.dll

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. After trying that, I got this message:

"The module
"C\:progra~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\en...\Ctorr.dll"
failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.
The specified module could not be found."

I tried several times, and in different ways to make sure I was pointing to the correct location, but to no avail. Perhaps I'm missing some other files?

Could be that other dll's are being called from there but try this first: The abbreviations in the location: "C\:progra~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\en...\Ctorr.dll" are limited to the 8 characters allowed by earlier file handling systems. Try expanding the folder names in the command line to the full location names (eg:"Program Files" or whatever it's called for "Progra~2").

Thats one of the things I tried, but it doesn't like the spaces (eg: Program Files). Another thing I tried was navigating to the .dll location using "cd xxxx" then running the regsvr32 command on the .dll, but I got the same message.
If this helps, my entire InstallShield folder has 34 files and the "size on disk" is 7.18MB.
Unfortunately, I can't find a place to re-download the whole thing- its either trail versions, or for purchase, which I'm guessing are for people who create their own software anyway.

Last edited:
Just another thought - if you have the install program for the driver try reinstalling it then uninstall - the reinstall should replace whatever is missing.

Ok, I tried that JoneSoft Uninstall Cleaner, but it threw up exactly the same message. I also tried iobit uninstaller, with the same result. I should have thought about reinstalling it myself- I feel a bit stupid now, although it has just given me another error message:

"An error occured while launching the setup.
ClassFactory cannot supply requested class"

In the zip archive I do see a file called "ikernel.ex_" but I'm not sure if thats related to one of the earlier messages or not.

Yeah, I've tried running as admin, and also in various compatibility modes, same error.
In the properties window for the setup file, the description reads "InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher" so I guess its trying to use the damaged InstallShield version on my computer both for installing and uninstalling.

Update- I just tried to install the ikernel update from http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q108497&sliceId=1

I ran the update file and got the following messages:
"Updating ikernel engine on your system..." then "Done"
But then I get a black screen titled "InstallShield Wizard" and it just freezes. When I close it using Task Manager I get this message:

"An error occured while launching the setup.
The remote procedure call failed."

Ive tried running as admin, and in different compatibility modes. It did add some extra files alongside ctorr.dll.
When I try to uninstall the mouse driver again, I get further through the uninstall process, but it freezes as soon as the InstallShield Wizard screen tries to load, then I get the same error message as above.

Last edited:
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
I ran it a few times just to be sure. Is there any other information I can give that might help? I'm starting to think that reinstalling Windows is the only answer, but thats a bit of a blunt instrument, not to mention a pain to do!

It is beginning to sound like major surgery time. I've always used Acronis True Image to maintain three backup images of my system so I can recover from these sorts of problems plus others like serious malware infestation, bad installs etc. My lappy would have gone thru the window years ago without Acronis!

Bummer, ok, well thanks for taking the time to help. I haven't managed to make any further progress myself, so I'll have to reinstall windows. Looks like I'll also have to get my hands on some backup software too.
Thanks again for helping, at the very least, I learned a couple of command prompt commands :)

If you do get Acronis (full trial available and download and not expensive t buy a licence) I'd recommend a few pointers as you reinstall. Create a primary partition of not more than 60GB as your system drive. Install op sys and all applications programs to it. Use the remaining space for one or more data drives and store all user data (movies, music, docs etc) on the data drive. Set a folder on the data drive to receive any downloads from browsers etc. Unless you have some truly massive aps you are unlikely to use more than about 40GB of the system drive. (I am currently using 32GB and have a lot of apps installed). You can further minimise space used on the system drive by turning system restore off (you won't need it with a regular backup regime in place with Acronis).

All this will enable you to maintain your Acronis images on the data drive for easy access. (Backup and restores should not take more than about 15 minutes) and a will enable you to make/recover a complete image of your entire op sys, app progs and all user settings. First time you ever need to run it you'll think it worth every penny!

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Just to play safe you should also keep the latest image file on an external drive as if the entire hard drive totals the you still lose all!

Bummer, ok, well thanks for taking the time to help. I haven't managed to make any further progress myself, so I'll have to reinstall windows. Looks like I'll also have to get my hands on some backup software too.
Thanks again for helping, at the very least, I learned a couple of command prompt commands :)

You might try an inplace install this will save all your programs and data. Make sure you have a backup FIRST!

Boot to window desktop drop in the WIN7 DVD o USB key and follwo the instructions. This will replace windows without erasing any programs or data.

Ok, I just got back from a complete reinstall of Windows, so all is well, hopefully I can keep my desktop clean this time! I've noticed there is no InstallShield now, so I was wrong in thinking it was something that came with Windows.

helpifIcan: I didn't know about inplace installs- could be really helpful for solving problems with corrupted windows installations.

Patcooke: I'll give the Acronis trial a go, if it works well for me, I suppose £40 isn't too bad. I think I already have a fairly similar system with what I do now- a small SSD for Windows and some other programs, and a large HDD for data and big programs.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm glad there are people like you who are willing to take the time to share your knowledge with others, I've learned a fair bit :)

Back
Top Bottom