unknown ssd/harddrive space

skrambam

How can I recover 15 GB of C: partition ssd space that WinDirStat shows as "unknown" and I cannot access? I know this "unknown" 15 GB is real because Windows File Explorer shows there is an unexplained shortage of disk space. Its 15 GB or perhaps more.
I don't have a problem accounting for the space used and I don't want to delete files to free up space. It is the unused missing "unknown" that I want to reclaim.
I have turned System Restore off and deleted all restore points. (I back up to an external disk.)
I turned the page file off and deleted it. (Don't need page file with a ssd.)
I ran chkdsk and Windows Update Troubleshooter and installed suggested "fixes".
I ran cmd.exe, C:\>sfc /scannow and it repaired something.
I ran cmd.exe, C:\>Vssadmin List Shadows and it says, "No items found that satisfy the query." I guess that means there are no shadow copies on the C drive.
So what is the 15 GB of "unknown"?
On a small 128 GB ssd I need those missing 15 GB.
What can I do?
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png

7.png

Last edited:
I turned the page file off and deleted it. (Don't need page file with a ssd.)

Yes you do need a pagefile. Windows misbehaves without one. Have you used the systems disk cleaner and selected C: and then system to see what can be recovered.

Windows does need a page file but it doesn't have to be big and it doesn't need to be on the C drive... they are just the defaults
imo the real issue here is just that you are out of harddrive space and trimming a G here or there is only a temp fix... add an extra or bigger drive is the best option

Thanks to nmsuk and ussnorway for their replies.

No, I do not have or need a pagefile because I don't work it too hard. I have added another screenshot that shows there is no page file. In fact I have two other laptops with ssd drives without pagefiles and they all run just fine. With the speeds that a ssd runs, pagefiles are unneeded. Mechanical rotating harddrives are so slow is why pagefiles were necessary in the old days, right? Enough about pagefile.

Also as I said, I am not looking for stuff to delete as I have deleted just about everything I can do without already. I am not looking to recover any files; I want to recover disk space that is locked away somehow.

It is impossible to upgrade the ssd on this computer which is an Asus UX31a, or I would have done that long ago.

I hope there are some more suggestions coming my way 'cause I need some more ideas. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Someone told me that maybe Windows 10 creates a totally hidden pagefile if you try to disable it. Is that true?

Last edited:
Windows 10 creates a totally hidden pagefile if you try to disable it. Is that true?
No.

You can run without a pagefile although if your machine blue screens then no dump file will be recorded and ideally it's best if you can run the recommended amount specified but ultimately it's up to you.

The 15GB partition is most likely a hidden partition for Windows 10 as a number of these are created on install. Some you can see and some you can't.

I have never had any use for a dump file because when that rarely happens I simply load the most recent Clonezilla backup image and all is good. There is no 15 GB partition. I used Gparted to view the disk organization and there is simply nothing additional but a 128 MB unformatted partition. Thank you for the reply.

Above I added a photo of the GParted screen showing the partitions.

Recap>>>
The computer is Asus UX31a with an non-upgradable 128 GB ssd (115 GB usable) partitioned into 75 GB C: and 40 GB D: drives.
I need full access to the C: drive and have removed everything I can to free up space and now want to identify why there's missing disk space. I want to recover, free up, the unknown, 15 or more missing GBs of disk space.
File Explorer reports C; drive has 66 GB usage.
But, opening the C: drive and selecting everything's Properties shows only 45 GBs of files, not 66.
WinDirStat reports 15 GB of 'unknown'.
File Explorer, Disk Management, and GParted agree 66 GB is used, but I can only identify 45 GB of files on C: drive not 66.
What explains the 15 GB WinDirStat 'unknown', and the difference between the 66 GB and 45 GB?
There should be about 30 (75-45=30) GBs free space, not only 9.
Surely this is a common problem and someone has a solution and I hope I get more posts. There must be some process that's locking up that 15 to 21 missing GBs. I ran cmd.exe, C:\>Vssadmin List Shadows and it says, "No items found that satisfy the query." I guess that means there are no shadow copies on the C drive. I scan for malware and find nothing, even with offline scans. Is Windows or some evil actor using the subject disk space for an unknown purpose? I appreciate everyone's posts and will try whatever is suggested. Thank you...

Sandisk SSD Dashboard informs me that the disk has 91% of its writes remaining.

Last edited:
I have disabled the Pagefile, so what does it mean when Diskpart reports "Pagefile Disk : Yes"? Does that mean there is a secret Pagefile or only that its possible?

I'm still thinking it's a hidden windows folder but in any case if your trying to conserve space have you turned off or configured system restore?

If you haven't made any changes see if reducing your restore file size has any effect on the folder thats hidden (size wise)

restore.jpg

The computer is Asus UX31a (Windows 10) with an non-upgradable 128 GB ssd (115 GB usable) partitioned into 75 GB C and 40 GB D drives.

I need full access to the C drive and have removed everything I can to free up space and now want to identify why there's missing disk space. I want to recover, free up, the unknown, 15 or more missing GBs of disk space.

File Explorer reports C drive has 66 GB usage. But, opening the C drive and selecting everything's Properties shows only 45 GBs of files, not 66. WinDirStat reports 15 GB of 'unknown'. File Explorer, Disk Management, and GParted agree 66 GB is used, but I can only identify 45 GB of files on C drive not 66. What explains the 15 GB WinDirStat 'unknown', and the difference between the 66 GB and 45 GB? There should be about 30 (75-45=30) GBs free space, not only 9.

There must be some process that's locking up that 15 to 21 missing GBs. I ran cmd.exe, C:\>Vssadmin List Shadows and it says, "No items found that satisfy the query." I guess that means there are no shadow copies on the C drive. I scan for malware and find nothing, even with offline scans. Is Windows or some evil actor using the subject disk space for an unknown purpose? Perhaps trim is not working correctly but how can I tell?

If you use hibernate that will eat up space equal to the amount of RAM in the system.

The computer is Asus UX31a (Windows 10) with an non-upgradable 128 GB ssd (115 GB usable) partitioned into 75 GB C and 40 GB D drives.

I need full access to the C drive and have removed everything I can to free up space and now want to identify why there's missing disk space. I want to recover, free up, the unknown, 15 or more missing GBs of disk space.

File Explorer reports C drive has 66 GB usage. But, opening the C drive and selecting everything's Properties shows only 45 GBs of files, not 66. WinDirStat reports 15 GB of 'unknown'. File Explorer, Disk Management, and GParted agree 66 GB is used, but I can only identify 45 GB of files on C drive not 66. What explains the 15 GB WinDirStat 'unknown', and the difference between the 66 GB and 45 GB? There should be about 30 (75-45=30) GBs free space, not only 9.

There must be some process that's locking up that 15 to 21 missing GBs. I ran cmd.exe, C:\>Vssadmin List Shadows and it says, "No items found that satisfy the query." I guess that means there are no shadow copies on the C drive. I scan for malware and find nothing, even with offline scans. Is Windows or some evil actor using the subject disk space for an unknown purpose? Perhaps trim is not working correctly but how can I tell?
Hi,

didn't you already ask the same question here?
unknown ssd/harddrive space

Post moved to your main thread to avoid confusion.

I would say the missing 15GB is going to be in the "System Volume Information" directory. The space won't show up when you select everything and go to properties because yout can read this directory even as an admin

I would say the missing 15GB is going to be in the "System Volume Information" directory. The space won't show up when you select everything and go to properties because yout can read this directory even as an admin
Totally agree.

As i already stated this is almost certainly a hidden windows partition. Some you can see and some you can't period.

This might not even pertain to this issue. But I thought I'd just throw it out there. My laptop came with 8 GB RAM. When I was running it like that it would claim like 10 or 11 GB for Pagefile. A little while back I added a second 8 GB RAM stick. Now it only claims 2.4 GB for the Pagefile. Notice my CPU Usage widget. WinDirStat says the same thing. It's not showing the free space. I've got 155 GB free of 232.

I added this SSD C: Drive right after I got this computer. All the storage is on the original HDD. The storage drive has only 340 GB of 920 free. I'd hate to have only one drive that was that full. My original HDD shows the 10.13 GB System Recovery partition and another 950 MB in two partitions which I have no clue about what they are.

Maybe adding some RAM would help. For sure adding a second drive and splitting up the O/S and storage would. With your limited space you need an External HDD. I don't think you can fix this without spending some money.

used space.jpgDisk Management.jpg

Last edited:
Back