Windows 7 Unpinning shortcuts from the start menu.

Mastadj

I seem to be going crazy but I accidently pinned a shortcut on the start menu but cannot delete it... Did they forget to add that feature or am I doing something stupid? lol...

That's weird, because I can, I just checked - both from the Start Menu and the Quick Launch tray (now the task bar... new terminology is driving me nuts!)

EDIT: What chubbycheese said, just wanted to edit into my post, now he was first...

Look here first C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Taskbar Pinned\StartMenu
If it is in there delete it. If NOT Go onto the next stage.

1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the search box, type regedit and press Enter. (See screenshot below)
3. In regedit, go to: (See screenshot below)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage
4. In the right pane, right click on Favorites and click on Delete.
NOTE: The long binary number for the Favorites Data value is the list of pinned items. Since it cannot be easily edited, deleting it will be easier to reset it.
5. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion.
6. Close regedit and restart the computer.

This should undo the icon from the start mnenu as it did on my machine.

I know what unpinned means = delete! It just doesn't show up!!!

for application shortcuts, yes but for explorer shortcuts, no... I dare you to try it.... Haha... I will try out that registry key to figure it out. Thanks.

Last edited:
here is a screenshot to show the issue.....

Untitled.jpg

Now you don't have to try it, see for your self. Thanks Austin who is right next to me. :razz: He helped me because my dumb mac doesn't have a print screen button. Joy by being in the Mac world.

Mastadj did you try out the registry key thing to see if it removed the links from the start menu?

Now you don't have to try it, see for your self. Thanks Austin who is right next to me. :razz: He helped me because my dumb mac doesn't have a print screen button. Joy by being in the Mac world.

Thanks for using my real name online :p

alwhell

Mastadj did you try out the registry key thing to see if it removed the links from the start menu?

No he has not done that yet, we wanted to post proof their was no unpin button :p

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem he was having and the solution i have posted fixed it for me. If you just follow those instructions in the earlier post im sure it will solve it.

I had the exact same problem he was having and the solution i have posted fixed it for me. If you just follow those instructions in the earlier post im sure it will solve it.

Yea I know, In the process of trying to get a screenshot of the problem, I had to cause the same problem on my screen :p

Thanks for posting a fix!

Much appreciated.

I tried to look for that key but there is no Current Version tab after Windows

Look here first C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Taskbar Pinned\StartMenu
If it is in there delete it. If NOT Go onto the next stage.

1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the search box, type regedit and press Enter. (See screenshot below)
3. In regedit, go to: (See screenshot below)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage
4. In the right pane, right click on Favorites and click on Delete.
NOTE: The long binary number for the Favorites Data value is the list of pinned items. Since it cannot be easily edited, deleting it will be easier to reset it.
5. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion.
6. Close regedit and restart the computer.

This should undo the icon from the start mnenu as it did on my machine.

You guys are right with the path and registry key solutions, but here's another option:

Right-click on the Start Button and choose properties. Uncheck both check boxes under Privacy and click Apply.

This will remove everything.

Then just go back to properties and click the check boxes if you prefer.

Then when you start applications, tey will show up in the list again.

You guys are right with the path and registry key solutions, but here's another option:

Right-click on the Start Button and choose properties. Uncheck both check boxes under Privacy and click Apply.

This will remove everything.

Then just go back to properties and click the check boxes if you prefer.

Then when you start applications, tey will show up in the list again.

Sorry but that only removed the recent porgrams, not the pinned programs. Trust me I tried that :p

Thanks though. ;)

mastadj that key has to be present. Make sure that you are looking in HKEY_Current_user and not one of the others.

doublea,

I just pinned my Downloads folder to the Start menu and I have 3 options
Open
Remove from this list
Properties

Strange
==================================
iroken22,

You might want to ask him if he's in the registry editor. it sounds to me like he may be in the Windows directory looking for Current Version.

Just a thought.

doublea,

I just pinned my Downloads folder to the Start menu and I have 3 options
Open
Remove from this list
Properties

Strange
==================================
iroken22,

You might want to ask him if he's in the registry editor. it sounds to me like he may be in the Windows directory looking for Current Version.

Just a thought.

Nope still no options for me, As far as the registry thing goes, Its showing up for me just fine, It worked !

i dont know what mastadj is up to, I didnt see him today. (bump into him at school usually)

Back
Top Bottom