Windows 10 Update will not install

mike21

Honorable Member
2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760) - Error 0x800706be . This update will not install and the update troubleshooter will not resolve the problem. I wish to install the latest version of the Edge browser but cannot until this update has been installed. Any help appreciated.

Try opening an admin command prompt and running in order sfc /scannow and then dism /online /cleanup-image /restore-health and then reboot before trying again,

Scannow and cleanup image did not work - still corrupt files that could not be repaired. CBS file attached

Attachments

• scannow log.JPG
    scannow log.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 146
Could not attach cbs log - named cbs.log Message below
"The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."

Scannow and cleanup image did not work - still corrupt files that could not be repaired. CBS file attached

Did you do the DISM command too, followed again by sfc /scannow. It can take a few attempts to fix the files

I have just run SFC, then DISM, then SFC again, and then tried to install the problem update - it failed once more. I have attached a couple of screenshots showing the operations.

Attachments

• DISM check & scannow2.JPG
    DISM check & scannow2.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DISM check.JPG
    DISM check.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 163
Try opening an admin command prompt and running in order sfc /scannow and then dism /online /cleanup-image /restore-health and then reboot before trying again,

Did you try the above suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did, so my next suggestion is to goto C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and to delete everything in there to remove the pending updates, reboot and thene try the dism command again.

Have done exactly as you suggest but unfortunately the result is the same:

Your device is missing important security and quality fixes
There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.
2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4532693) - Error 0x800706be

Last edited:
I think the problem might actually be one of the defender updates, of which there have been 18 in the last 14 days - one unsuccessful. Recently I started to get trouble - Thunderbird email kept stalling, websites were blocked, programs got error messages and right-clicking was very slow: I installed the free full antivirus program provided by my ISP and all of the problems disappeared.

Back