Windows 10 Upgrade or not! (concerned)

Ronald95

Two weeks ago I made a clean install from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 32-bit.
Was worried that new OS won't work properly because my PC is 7 years old and may not have the best specs, has survived a virus and hard drive crash twice. So far it works flawlessly.

Now I'm been bugged with "Get Windows 10" window almost every day. I know people say positive things about Windows 10 and it's still free and now think I should update too. It states that my PC is compatible. But I'm worried about my CPU. Ever since I installed 7, CPU fan is now louder then it was before. I have cleaned it but still loud. I hope it's not something bad.

Hi Ronald!
Welcome to the forum! :)

It would help enormously if you posted your system specifications as we'll be able advise you better.

Even though Windows 10 compatibility report is saying your machine compatible what is your driver support like? You need to check your systems support page and see what driver updates are available. As you can see just being compatible isn't the whole story and some users are upgrading when ideally they shouldn't.
So i would at least hold off on the upgrade until we can ascertain your current situation.

Oops forgot about the fan issue. It could be that your cpu is simply working harder under Windows 7 but again until you tell us the system spec's it's hard to say for certain.

Last edited:
As far as your CPU fan goes maybe check for Windows 7 drivers for your motherboard. Just go to the computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer website and look for updated drivers. For Win 7 or Win 10 if you're going to upgrade. I'm sure you'll find something.

On an older machine I wouldn't upgrade to Win 10 once it came out. But it's been out for almost a year now. So it's more stable now and the free upgrade time limit is getting closer. So I would do it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Windows Forums mobile app

System specifications:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.18 GB usable)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card.

I recommend leaving WX alone on that system... it will install and may boot but sooner (not later) the G-card will get a default driver and its all down hill from there.

p.s, the cheap way to test out WX is on a laptop... they come pre-loaded with software and you can pick a good one up for under $500

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.18 GB usable)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card.
Whats your motherboard?

So, it's a self-built PC then? :confused3: What brand is your PSU; make/model and Wattage please! If you're PSU is underpowered for that Graphics Card, that could also cause problems with W10.:nerves: Gigabyte & MSI motherboards both have issues with W10 if underpowered or underwattage PSU in your case.

It would be helpful, as Kemical suggests to get your full system specs; we suggest you download the free SPECCY diagnostic program from piriform.com and post the resulting output text file for us to analyze. This should only take you about 30 min. Unfortunately, SPECCY doesn't give us the full PSU specs, and you'll have to take your PC apart (at least the Cover anyway) to get us those specs right off of the PSU case. Unless you kept all your paperwork and boxes from your original build as most folks do who build their own PCs. However, if you bought it from an online site or a friend or craigs list or somesuch, and you didn't get paperwork on the PC, you'll have to physically open that case up and inspect it for the PSU label. Often due to orientation of the PSU in the case, that requires you de-cable just about everything to get to the PSU, and in some cases remove it entirely from the case.:headache: This is very important!

Last thing too, is if your Motherboard manufacturer doesn't specifically post W10 drivers (and BIOS update) then most likely your Motherboard will never run W10 properly as mentioned by others above as Norway said too.:waah: Either replace old Mobo with a newer one (UEFI BIOS support preferably), or get yourself an inexpensive laptop made >2013.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :lightbulb:

OK I opened up my computer. I saw some numbers on my motherboard.
I think this is the name and model of my motherboard:
ASRock G31M-S
Also there were some other things written next to that:
FSB 1600
DDR2 800
DUAL CHANNEL

Also according to the Internet I can find my motherboards name through System Information in System Tools folder in Accessories.
But that states:
To Be Filled By O.E.M.

ASRock G31M-S
I'm afraid drivers only go up to Windows 7. I wouldn't recommend upgrading either If your motherboard was at least Windows 8 compatible you'd might have stood a chance but really it's just a little too old despite what Microsoft is telling you.
ASRock > G31M-S

I agree with kemical. ASRock's are good Motherboards, they are a little company specializing in "boutique" Motherboards and got bought a few years back by Motherboard innovator ASUS. Yours is just out of date. If you haven't started a "Wall-Of-Flame" you might do what I do with my old Mobos here:
Marc MOBO Collection2 2016.jpg

:bighug:
BBJ

Well thank you for all the help. Now I know I should consider buying a new PC or at least upgrade my old one with new components :)

for wx you will need a new system mate... adding new bits to an old motherboard isn't going to give you good value.

I'm not in any way an expert here on computers, but, I will give some advice on what, why, will not work on a computer with XP OS. I had a HP 775e loaded for bear and had to be anchored down to keep it from flying of the desk...so to speak. I upgraded to WIn 7 and all went well. but it didn't seem to run as good when it was XP mode. Then came the WIN 10 noise, and it showed I was able to upgrade to Ten. Of course, it was capable in doing so, however, that didn't apply to the HP 775e that lacked the fuel injection, all the modules that Ten needed, plus the new hybred transmission to run it full blast. So, as all old worn out PC go, I had a nice PC funeral with flowers and sad remarks on the old dude before it was put in the burial plot. Just open up the wallet and use the best credit card and get a new PC fully loaded with WIN 10.

Back
Top Bottom