Windows 8 Upgrade to Windows 10 app

StarryOrion

So my laptop's internal hard drive recently got damaged and had to be replaced with a new one. Originally, my laptop had genuine windows 8.1 and it was still useable when I secured my windows 10 update through mail. But when I got my laptop repaired, the technician installed a copy of windows 8.1 pro that seems to have been used in other devices since the key doesn't work. Because of that, I can't activate windows.

Bottomline: Can I still update to windows 10 since I've already reserved my copy but using a different software?

*note: I'm not seeing the Get windows 10 app, but maybe it's because I haven't done with the windows update yet.

Thanks in advance!

So my laptop's internal hard drive recently got damaged and had to be replaced with a new one. Originally, my laptop had genuine windows 8.1 and it was still useable when I secured my windows 10 update through mail. But when I got my laptop repaired, the technician installed a copy of windows 8.1 pro that seems to have been used in other devices since the key doesn't work. Because of that, I can't activate windows.

One of two possible things: the exact model # would tell us but age is also a good tell;
1. your system had Windows 8.1 home and therefore the pro copy put on by the tech doesn't match your bios key... fix is to install Windows 8.1 home instead.
2. your system had Windows 8 and you took advanage of the free 8.1 upgrade offer... fix is to install Windows 8 (my guess is home edition) and then download the free upgrade again after the bios key is re-activated.

IMO In both cases the tech in question should have done this BEFORE giving it back to you but I'm in Australian and perhaps the rules are different in whatever country you live in... on the up side, your computer isn't stuffed and once you reinstall a correct copy of Windows and activate it again your Windows 10 free upgrade offer will kick back in.

Bottomline: Can I still update to windows 10 since I've already reserved my copy but using a different software?

No you can't until the system is activated.

Is there anyway to access the key in the bios or I can only get a key from buying a copy of windows? My device doesn't have a key on it since the original software(Windows 8) was pre-installed.

Update: I've found ways to recover the key. But, it appears that there are 2 keys found on different processes. I'm assuming that one of them is the one the technician installed and the other is the one originally pre-installed. I've tried using both to try to activate my current software.

Moreover, the pre-installed software was windows 8 (not 8.1, which is what the technician installed). If I downgrade to windows 8, if possible, would the one of the codes work? If not, please suggest what I should do.

Last edited:
Is there anyway to access the key in the bios or I can only get a key from buying a copy of windows? My device doesn't have a key on it since the original software(Windows 8) was pre-installed.

Yes there are ways but you DON"T need to imput a key when installing the correct Windows iso it will be put in aultomatic by your bios without any stress on your part.

Update: I've found ways to recover the key. But, it appears that there are 2 keys found on different processes. I'm assuming that one of them is the one the technician installed and the other is the one originally pre-installed. I've tried using both to try to activate my current software.

Be clearful here... Windows 7 needed a key of the bottom of the laptops but 8 and above uses a different type of code and if you try to use an outdated key cheaker like jellybean on a Windows 8 system it will return a WRONG key... You can't activate a Windows 8.1 pro system with a Windows 8 key and you will just get your system flagged by Microsoft if you keep stuffing about with it.

Moreover, the pre-installed software was windows 8 (not 8.1, which is what the technician installed). If I downgrade to windows 8, if possible, would the one of the codes work? If not, please suggest what I should do.

Fine... download the Windows 8 iso from the page I linked above... save it as an iso to your harddrive then use rufus 2 or above (not that piece of shit tool from Microsoft) to place it on a gpt usb. Use the usb to boot/ install Windows 8 (removing the 8.1pro) and the bios will put your key in without asking you to do anything else.

p.s. I can't instruct you more without knowing what system you have but I recomend you look up the model # and go to the computers website as they tend to have step by step instructions for installing Windows and an Asus laptop is different to say a HP or a Acer when it comes to these steps... mostly just what key gets you into the bios etc.

I've resorted to install windows 7 since the technician said he could guarantee a key. I'll just wait for win 10 in the meantime.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble

ok... it's your system mate, not a problem and thanks for letting know how you got on.:oops:

off topic;

1. you still have a Windows 8 key and can go back to it at any time... once you install Windows 8 and activate it, the system will offer you the Windows 8.1 upgrade for free again.

2. Reguardless of what system you end up with please invest in a good backup software that can boot from the images it makes... I use Acronis because I do this all the time but other guys on this forum report some of the free softwares also work... if my system ever goes tits up again, I can put a new hdd in and have my system back up and running with all my settings (emails, photos, music etc) inside of 30 mins!

p.s never use the Microsoft backup software... its shit!

Back