Windows 7 Upgrading OS Help

What do you mean by upgrade? Going from one OS to the next...example from windows 7 to windows 8?

OK...next question; is this a retail PC/laptop....meaning store bought branded...HP, Gateway, Dell?

Basically, there's and upgrade path and a clean install path. The upgrade path allows you to keep all your files folders and personal data. The clean install wipes the drive, aka formats the drive and then installs the OS.

If you go to youtube and search "how to upgrade 7 to 8", there are plenty of videos that will give you some really good visual aid on the process.

OK...next question; is this a retail PC/laptop....meaning store bought branded...HP, Gateway, Dell?

Basically, there's and upgrade path and a clean install path. The upgrade path allows you to keep all your files folders and personal data. The clean install wipes the drive, aka formats the drive and then installs the OS.

If you go to youtube and search "how to upgrade 7 to 8", there are plenty of videos that will give you some really good visual aid on the process.
It is not store bought. And yes I am looking for a clean install. Is there anyway to save all myprograms on my c drive? If not and I have to upgrade is there an option to keep all programs. And I f I do a fresh install, will I save my programs on my other drive .

Yes...you can use a free 3rd party software (Macrium, Aomei, Acronis and others) to backup your personal files/folders or completely copy the entire hard drive. You will need an extra internal or external HDD (hard drive) large enough to hold the data you want saved. A 500 GB portable USB HDD should be plenty and you can probably pick one up for $50 or less.

As stated above...the upgrade path will allow you to save all your personal data....where as the clean install wipes the drive clean. Your are given the option when installing the OS as upgrade or custom and custom is where the clean install takes place.

f14706b1-8c3a-427c-8740-a5619b9d6445_0.jpg

Yes...you can use a free 3rd party software (Macrium, Aomei, Acronis and others) to backup your personal files/folders or completely copy the entire hard drive. You will need an extra internal or external HDD (hard drive) large enough to hold the data you want saved. A 500 GB portable USB HDD should be plenty and you can probably pick one up for $50 or less.

As stated above...the upgrade path will allow you to save all your personal data....where as the clean install wipes the drive clean. Your are given the option when installing the OS as upgrade or custom and custom is where the clean install takes place.

View attachment 29388

Thank you very much for the help . And the clean install is reccomended right?

Yes...it's preferred but not necessary. For most of us, when we move to the next evolution of an OS, we always save our personal data (for me that's, music, pictures and documents - software I either re-download or reinstall from DVD if purchased) externally and do a clean install.

Back