Windows 7 Upgrading RC1 to Win 7 Pro - possible ?

errolgreer

Honorable Member
I have RC1 (Ultimate) installed on a second hard drive. (XP, Vista,Ubuntu on the first HD mulitiboot).

I am buying Win 7 Pro. Can I install this over the RC1, or must I do a clean install ? I would like to preserve my multiboot situation, which is controlled from Win7 RC1. The computer actually boots up from the RC1 HD. Then I select the system I want.:confused:

Many thanks

Errol

I have RC1 (Ultimate) installed on a second hard drive. (XP, Vista,Ubuntu on the first HD mulitiboot).

I am buying Win 7 Pro. Can I install this over the RC1, or must I do a clean install ? I would like to preserve my multiboot situation, which is controlled from Win7 RC1. The computer actually boots up from the RC1 HD. Then I select the system I want.:confused:

Many thanks

Errol

Possible but strongly discouraged. You'll carry over bugs that were fixed in the final. As for setting up the multi-boot menu, there is nothing to it. It only takes 3 commands and maybe easybcd will do it from a menu.

Here is the way I do it: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Many thanks

Errol
The official word is you cannot upgrade from an RC to the RTM. In your situation, you want to go from Ultimate to Pro, which is not officially allowed just by itself. I would say it depends on how good an internet searcher you are and what other skills you may have.

Many folks believe doing in-place upgrades over other OSes will cause other problems down the road. The dual boot may be fine, but if not it should be fixable.

If you completely format the drive,. it's possible.

Use GParted yo delete all partitions and create a new one about 60GB in size,'

When back in Windows go to Disk management and create more partitions if you prefer:

GParted"
GParted -- Download

Back