Windows 7 USB devices problem

ricky92

Hello, I am new to this forums, I joined to ask help about something which has been happening for a while now. Everytime I plug any USB device in my PC, all USB ports stop working suddently. I don't know why this happens, but I can't use my mouse without USB ports (I'm on an Acer Aspire 5920G laptop) and I don't feel comfortable using the touchpad. I found out that using System restore to get back to a status of the PC when the device (remember, it's not a specific device, but ANY device I try to plug in) was unplugged solves the problem and I can use the already-plugged-in devices with no problem. But now I need those ports to save some data on a USB storage key... Can anyone help me? I can provide any detail, if asked.
Thanks in advance :)

Hello, I am new to this forums, I joined to ask help about something which has been happening for a while now. Everytime I plug any USB device in my PC, all USB ports stop working suddently. I don't know why this happens, but I can't use my mouse without USB ports (I'm on an Acer Aspire 5920G laptop) and I don't feel comfortable using the touchpad. I found out that using System restore to get back to a status of the PC when the device (remember, it's not a specific device, but ANY device I try to plug in) was unplugged solves the problem and I can use the already-plugged-in devices with no problem. But now I need those ports to save some data on a USB storage key... Can anyone help me? I can provide any detail, if asked.
Thanks in advance :)
I have not had this problem . I checked your Laptops SPECS thru' Google search and found it has 4 USB -2 ports.

This seems almost like a Power Supply problem. If you connect the USB device ( I suppose USB -2 device) using the AC power cord of your AC adapter plugged in instead of just the Power from laptop's battery alone, does this happen? If you have not done that, check and tell us what happens. Also Check your Device Manager >Universal Serial BUS controllers cluster for any error symbols against any of the devices listed for a clue.

I hope others would also jump in to help with other tips.

The AC cord is already plugged in, but the Device Manager showed some errors.
Here are the screenshots:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

The AC cord is already plugged in, but the Device Manager showed some errors.
Here are the screenshots:

May be your USB controller drivers are corrupt in the Registry fter you tried to install a new USB device and that is why you can Restore system to a previou date and use the USB port.

To test this hypothesis, you may download and install the latest VISTA drivers for your Chipset from ACER . The Chipset driver must correspond to your Win 7 Bit be that Bit 32 or Bit 64.

I found Intel Chipset Driver for your laptop in the following link:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

1. Download& Save the zipped file to a newly named folder Chipset created on your Desktop
  2. Unzip and extract the Chipset file.zip to a subfolder chipset
  3. Open the subfolder Chipset and locate and click Setup.exe
  4. Follow on screen promptsto complete the driver insatllation and rebootif prompted
  5. Go back to DM and see all errors ( !) against USB Hub are gone.
  6. Test the system for cure
Hope this helps.
P.S.

If you are familar using DM to install drivers using the INF. file instead of clicking Setup file as above you can use DM to navigate to the INF files of VISTA or X64subfolder in the Chipset Subfolder for the installation.

May be your USB controller drivers are corrupt in the Registry fter you tried to install a new USB device and that is why you can Restore system to a previou date and use the USB port.

To test this hypothesis, you may download and install the latest VISTA drivers for your Chipset from ACER . The Chipset driver must correspond to your Win 7 Bit be that Bit 32 or Bit 64.

I found Intel Chipset Driver for your laptop in the following link:
AcerPanAm.com

1. Download& Save the zipped file to a newly named folder Chipset created on your Desktop
  2. Unzip and extract the Chipset file.zip to a subfolder chipset
  3. Open the subfolder Chipset and locate and click Setup.exe
  4. Follow on screen promptsto complete the driver insatllation and rebootif prompted
  5. Go back to DM and see all errors ( !) against USB Hub are gone.
  6. Test the system for cure
Hope this helps.
P.S.

If you are familar using DM to install drivers using the INF. file instead of clicking Setup file as above you can use DM to navigate to the INF files of VISTA or X64subfolder in the Chipset Subfolder for the installation.
Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately doing this was of no help at all D:
I still see the same errors in the Device Manager. I tried uninstalling the USB hubs with an exclamation mark and checking for hardware changes, but the situation was the same. The optical light of the mouse lighted up for a bit, and then, while the PC was attempting to install the device, the message "Device Unplugged" appears and the light vanishes from my mouse. :(
If someone manages to find a solution for this, I promise he/she will get a tip from me (using PayPal). This problem has been persecuting me for too long. T.T

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately doing this was of no help at all D:
I still see the same errors in the Device Manager. I tried uninstalling the USB hubs with an exclamation mark and checking for hardware changes, but the situation was the same. The optical light of the mouse lighted up for a bit, and then, while the PC was attempting to install the device, the message "Device Unplugged" appears and the light vanishes from my mouse. :(
If someone manages to find a solution for this, I promise he/she will get a tip from me (using PayPal). This problem has been persecuting me for too long. T.T

I am sorry you are still left with the USB device problem. For troubleshooting a malfunctioning USB device in Windows you need to consider the following possible causes and rule them out as best as you can. As you can see the troubleshooter needs to have very intimate knowledge about the problem PC and its USB Peripheral devices and HOW EXACTLY they are connected to the USB port.

If your USB storage device for example is connected to the laptop via an extension cable rather than directly to the USB port because of space limitation at the congested port site, Windows will 'get really mad' and wouldn't want to recognize the existence of that device! Thus although very convenient, USB Controllers and devices are very finicky in their behavior :) Sometimes too long an extension cable creates problem. If your BIOS does not allocate the right IRQ ( I guess IRQ 9 but you may have to read up on that for sure) USB malfunction can occur. Therefore use the following list of causes as a guideline for your troubleshoot, may be on a week end when you may have sufficient time for methodical troubleshoot:)

Most USB device problems stem from the following causes :

• Malfunctioning or incorrectly-configured hardware
  • Malfunctioning, incorrectly-configured, or missing device driver
  • Mismatched cabling
  • Out-of-date firmware of the device or BIOS Firmware
  • Incorrectly-configured root hub
Hope this will help.

I finally solved the problem. I think it was some software incompatibility issue, as I uninstalled some things related to drivers (Libusb, Winbond CID drivers, and some other programs including BOINC manager, but I don't think this last one did influence at all). Thank you for your help, anyways. You've been really helpful and overall nice.

I finally solved the problem. I think it was some software incompatibility issue, as I uninstalled some things related to drivers (Libusb, Winbond CID drivers, and some other programs including BOINC manager, but I don't think this last one did influence at all). Thank you for your help, anyways. You've been really helpful and overall nice.

Thank you for posting how you fixed the problem. That definetly adds to our knowledge base.

Back