Windows 8 USB Keyboard(I think) Causing issues

Shicken

Since release day I've been having some issues with windows 8. Nothing too bad, just a few small issues here and there. Too be expected this early in the products life. However, I seem to have narrowed my windows 8 issues tonight. My USB keyboard started typing random characters and acted like a key was stuck. It's newish(5 months) and had worked flawlessly before, and nothing got spilled or knocked loose. Thought it might have been a virus so did a full format and fresh install since I was overdue anyways. During the install I used an old PS/2 keyboard and everything seemed fine. The moment I plugged in my USB keyboard the computer went to sleep(it doesn't have a sleep or shut down key) with any key input(space, "k", esc, win-key, ect). I rebooted and same thing, hit a key, but now it shuts down. Went back to my dusty 10 year old Microsoft PS/2 KB and not a single issue.

I'm starting to think this is possibly a windows issues, since I don't see how a keyboard could be acting this way. Any advice or hints?

Hello Shicken,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 8 Forums,

Leaving both keyboards connected, go in to "Device Manager" and right click on "Keyboards", select scan hardware changes.
If both keyboards are already listed, right click on the USB keyboard to scan for hardware changes and then "Update Driver Software", reboot and see what happens.

Keep us posted

Don

Hello Shicken,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 8 Forums,

Leaving both keyboards connected, go in to "Device Manager" and right click on "Keyboards", select scan hardware changes.
If both keyboards are already listed, right click on the USB keyboard to scan for hardware changes and then "Update Driver Software", reboot and see what happens.

Keep us posted

Don

Thanks for your advice on leaving both keyboards connected. I connected my USB keyboard, and followed your directions. Once I restarted, I played around with my PS/2 keyboard and everything worked normal. This was while my USB keyboard had the updated drivers and was connected. The moment I hit a key with my USB keyboard I got the black background windows "Shutting down" screen. It's not a BSOD or a critical failure. It just goes to sleep, or shuts down. I've no freaking idea.

It's a Gigabyte GK-K6800

Not sure if posting newegg link is allowed but here it is. I love the board, and it worked with win8 until 3 days ago.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GK-K6800 Glossy Black 103 Normal Keys 14 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Professional Multimedia Keyboard

Nothing really sticks out with the reports, but here's what I've seen:

A lot of issues in the Application log file with Zune software. I'd suggest un-installing it to see if that helps.

Some issues in the System log file with:

- Steam (uninstall it to see if that helps)
- nVidia drivers - visit the nVidia download site and see if you can manually update your drivers.
- unexpected shutdown/issue with crash dump generation - this is suggestive of a hardware issue. Please run these free hardware diagnostics: Hardware Diagnostics

Good luck!

Hello again Shicken,

Sorry my suggestion did not help, however, have you tried plugging the keyboard in to a different USB port?
My system has 8 ports and keep forgetting that 1 does not work properly and try to use it and wonder why things don't work right.

Don

Hello again Shicken,

Sorry my suggestion did not help, however, have you tried plugging the keyboard in to a different USB port?
My system has 8 ports and keep forgetting that 1 does not work properly and try to use it and wonder why things don't work right.

Don

Yeah, different USB ports cause the same issue. I guess the keyboard just went bad. I can't replicate the issue on Win7 computers. Which makes me feel it's a Win8 issue but all is well I guess. Will just have to get a new KB.

Usasma, Steam has some issues with Win8 but this is not one of them, and my Nvidia drivers are up to date. Don't see how they would be an issue with USB connectivity. Also, I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable downloading your software. You are promoting your own site, and despite its good intentions, it appears very unprofessional.

Thank you for your honest opinion.
My website is the way it is because I am not a professional webmaster, I refuse to take money for building/maintaining the website, and I refuse to have any ads on it. Consequently, I pay for the entire site out of my own pocket and I use my limited knowledge of HTML to construct it (I do have help with the Driver Reference Table - but that's another story).

I am a Microsoft MVP who specializes in assisting people with the repair of their Windows systems. I particularly like working with BSOD's and freezing/hanging systems. A link to my profile is here: http://mvp.microsoft.com/profiles/Carrona
BTW - I find that the link (on my website) to my MVP profile on my website is broken - so now I have to find the time to change 85+ pages to reflect the new URL :0(

I do not write software, nor do I host any software at my site.
The links on the page that I linked to point other people's web pages where they host their own software (there are also several links to other pages on my website). The software that I recommend is well regarded in the internet community and you can verify it's legitimacy simply by searching the web for the product name.

Back