Windows 7 USB Miserable Problems!!!

jamez243

Here is what I'v noticed.... my usb motherboard ports work fine... as long as the device is plugged in when you boot. If you pull something out... and put it back in... it does not.

Also, I have 2 front USB ports... of which one works.... (at usb1.1 speeds WHY!) and the other always just says (device not recognized) As far as I know I should have ALL USB 2.0 Ports... why is anything connecting at 1.1.... it never did this in Vista!

So on top of that the back ports seem jacked up too... I dont' want to transfer files for HOURS Instead of minutes in the front PORT... (not ports cause one of them is jacked) and the back ports light up my HDD but it is not recognized... nothing pops up... Computer Management > Disk Management shows only my C: drive. It's like the back ports just dont' work at all... that is unless stuff is plugged into them on boot up.

Another example... my xbox wireless reciever was working fine.... I unplugged it... plugged it back in... the light on the device is not even on now.

I look at my device manager... no exclamtion points... but I did notice that it's showing..... well let me just capture and show you...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I know my motherboard is a bit older now... but if it worked fine in Vista I don't understand why Windows 7 is giving me so much trouble.

It's a crummy board (don't need sarcastic responses about that) ECS RS482-M

Thanks for your help,

James

Possible Solution

Hey Jamez243

This may seem like a dumb suggestion, but try going into your device manager, open the properties for one of the problem devices, go into the "Driver" tab and click "Update Driver...".
Then click "browse my computer for driver software", then click "let me pick from a list of device drivers" and see what options are available (you might have a couple of drivers to choose from.)
If you don't see any other drivers, try de-selecting "Show compatible hardware" and force installing the "ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 2.0 EHCI/OHCI controller".

Another possible fix is to download the drivers for your board (Might be this link: Link Removed - Invalid URL ) and see if that works...
The best way to do this is to follow the instructions above, but instead of choosing from a list of drivers, try unpacking your downloaded drivers and see if windows can install any of the drivers. (yes, I am dyslexic.... Sorry if anything confuses you.)

Best of luck.

Thanks for input...

I have actually tried to force it to be 2.0 like you suggested but it then says.... "device is not working" and I have to change it back to get anything to work.

My mouse wouldn't work on the back ports... I had to plug it in the one 1.1 front port in order for the computer to recognize it.

I can remove all of them and let it recognize them again.... EXCEPT the 2.0 one... if I try to remove that one I get BSOD.

I started in Safe Mode with the mouse plugged in the back... and in safe mode recognized the mouse.

Now I can boot up normal with the mouse plugged in the back in normal mode.

The issue still is... I can't transfer files to my portable hard drive at a reasonable speed....

the front port will recognize anything (only at 1.1) and the back ports have to be plugged in before its booted... but the hard drive is one thing that won't work in this manner ... even in safe mode :(

Are you running the same driver as you did for Vista? If they were Vista specific driver they almost certainly will work in Seven at least in compatibility mode for Vista. If the drivers you have are XP drivers shoehorned into Vista then you will probably have no luck. I would try to rollback to the generic Seven drivers in a worst case scenario (simply uninstall from device manager then restart).

Hi
I am having the similar issues with USB. I had a faulty cable which I replaced and everything seemed fine but
when I disconnected and plufgged in again the USB would not work in fact no0w the PC freezes when I plug any USB device in. This is also happening with some applications i.e. PowerDVD 7 Ultra (after about 30 to 35 mins play) on both DVD and BD. Also several times when browsing the forums Win 7 has frozen. All these freezes require a hard restart. Has anyone had similar and if so is there any cure that you know of.

Stransky

I don't know if I'm dumb or something but I looked on the ECS website and I dont' see any USB drivers... I downloaded the Southbridge drivers and pointed driver finder to that folder and it said it didn't contain anything related to the device.... :(

Am I missing something here? Vista default found drivers that worked. Win 7 default finds drivers that work but at half the speed... I don't get it.

I don't know if I'm dumb or something but I looked on the ECS website and I dont' see any USB drivers... I downloaded the Southbridge drivers and pointed driver finder to that folder and it said it didn't contain anything related to the device.... :(

Am I missing something here? Vista default found drivers that worked. Win 7 default finds drivers that work but at half the speed... I don't get it.
Hi
I did the same as you (downloaded and installed the full chipset drivers from AMD website (Vers 9.6) and reinstalled but I still have the USB problem unless I start with the device plugged in. I am also still getting random freezes and having to hard re-start.

Stransky

I'm glad it's not just me.

Hi james
I even changed my Motherboard thinking it was a problem with the USB ports, but I had the same problems on the new
board (Biostar TA 780G M2+) so I reverted back to signature board. I have also found that it freezes sometimes when online gaming on COD2 and COD4. I am hoping that when the retail version (pre-ordered Premium) arrives that the causes of our problems will have been eliminated.

Stransky

Hi All

Quick update: Have reverted to Biostar Mobo as I believe that the Abit board BIOS is not fully compatible with the AMD chipset drivers (Vers 9.6) as I am getting hang-ups when using certain USB devices (Camera etc) even when connected before starting. I am still getting the freezing symptoms with the Biostar board but not as frequently.

Stransky

Hi Stransky,

I'm pretty sure that both those boards use the same southbridge....SB700 Whether this will prove to be a problem I'm unsure but i'd thought I'd let you know...
I've googling trying to find some more info on both your particular problems but as yet no go.... I'll be back :)

Reading these over AGAIN and it's still odd. I wonder however have either of you tested your PS? I didn't think it was relevant really until i just noticed again that Stransky is having problems with DVD playback, i know it's a stretch but desperate times and all that.

Actually, PS is not a bad idea. have seen bad PS's cause really really strange activity and problems on systems.
Things you would never attribute to a bad PS, but testing and finding them bad and changing them fixed the issues.

Further to the above i wanted to add that not every USB device is whats called 'hot swappable' and it can lead to problems if a device is yanked without proper procedure. Although old this web site has some good info:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hi All
PS is not the problem, tested and Ok. Yes both boards use the SB700. Now getting an infrequent boot problem in that Win 7
is freezing after initial loading screens and mouse works for a few seconds and then again have to hard restart. On reboot
I get the options screen and when I select normal boot it loads ok.

Frustrating to say the least. I dual boot with Win XP Pro 64Bit and it loads ok. I also have WIn XP Pro 32 bit on a third drive and if I select it to boot in the BIOS I do not have any problems at all with this board and the current chipset drivers.

Stransky

Further to the above i wanted to add that not every USB device is whats called 'hot swappable' and it can lead to problems if a device is yanked without proper procedure. Although old this web site has some good info:

Link Removed - Invalid URL
Hi
Thanks for the info. But I am having the problems even when the device is connected before starting my PC. It only occurs with Win 7 not Win XP 64 or 32. I am beginning to wonder if the SB drivers from AMD (which are Beta) are the problem.

Stransky

Hi
Thanks for the info. But I am having the problems even when the device is connected before starting my PC. It only occurs with Win 7 not Win XP 64 or 32. I am beginning to wonder if the SB drivers from AMD (which are Beta) are the problem.

Stransky

The hot swapping was meant for jamez243 really... Which drivers are you using exactly?

If i'm not mistaken the southbridge is integral to the USB bus so that may be a good place to hunt. I've also seen on this forum that 7 is very touchy about RAM I've seen many problems solved by re seating RAM and unfortunately reinstalling windows. This is including problems that don't appear on side by side operating systems and in areas one would never think of attributing to bad RAM For some reason if a stick is seated poorly or a little dirty 7 either doesn't install or installs in a corrupted manner. I admit that this also is a bit of a stretch but it's about that time.

Back