Windows 8 USB unrecognized on windows 8.1

breadandbutter725

I bought a toshiba laptop last year which came with Windows 8 and then later updated to 8.1. Whenever i plug in my USB stick, NOTHING appears on the screen (i.e. Windows doesn't recognize it), my USB stick only works on Windows 7. Anyway to fix this?

Hi,
apologies your post must have been missed.

Can you verify that the USB stick is still working by using a different machine. If it's still working then pop open your device manager found via the control panel. Look to see if you have any yellow question marks. If you do then you might need to install your USB drivers which are available from the support page of the manufacturers website.
http://support.toshiba.com/

There's no yellow question marks. I literally mean whenever i pluf my USB into my computer NOTHING APPEARS (no warning signs , pop-ups, symbols..etc). And yes my usb works on other devices but they happen to be from much older versions of windows.

Hmm.. Interesting. Could you post the exact details of the USB drive in question,eg: model and manufacturer.

Hi there, I am here looking for the exact same information. Yesterday the USB ports on my daughter's laptop just seemed to go dead. I tried multiple flash drives. They all work fine, just not in her laptop. I checked the Devise Manager and all of the drivers appear to be fine (except for the not working part). Her laptop is a Acer Aspire /M Series. Windows 8.1, i5-3337u 1.80 GH.
I don't mean to crash this thread, but it sounds like we have the same issue, maybe we can fix bot at the same time.
Thanks

Hi there, I am here looking for the exact same information. Yesterday the USB ports on my daughter's laptop just seemed to go dead. I tried multiple flash drives. They all work fine, just not in her laptop. I checked the Devise Manager and all of the drivers appear to be fine (except for the not working part).
Hi Terry,
do you mean that the USB drivers appeared to be missing? Did you see a yellow question mark by the USB controllers?

Her laptop is a Acer Aspire /M Series. Windows 8.1, i5-3337u 1.80 GH.
Unfortunately this isn't enough information. There should be a model number, sure it's an Acer Aspire M series but which actual model?
Once we know the correct model number we can point you in the right direction driver wise.

It appears that all of the drivers are there. There are no yellow flags or notices at all.
I checked the decal on the bottom of the laptop. It shows:
Aspire M5 Series
Model No. Z09 (there are also some hieroglyphs that I am unable to reproduce)
M5-481PT-6644

It appears that all of the drivers are there. There are no yellow flags or notices at all.
I checked the decal on the bottom of the laptop. It shows:
Aspire M5 Series
Model No. Z09 (there are also some hieroglyphs that I am unable to reproduce)
M5-481PT-6644
Aspire M5-481PT
Download Drivers and Manuals | Acer Official Site

Nothing new I'm afraid driver wise anyway.. Can you ask your daughter if the ports going dead coincided with any new software installation or new update?

Thanks Holdum333,
I followed those directions and I did obtain some degree of progress. Now when I insert a flash drive it lights up indicating that it has made a connection, and the laptop makes a little dingling noise indicating that it knows something is now plugged into the USB port. The only problem now is nothing shows up on the screen to be able to access the flash drive. I rebooted the laptop a couple of times and I tried multiple flash drives. Always the same results.

Hey Terry! What do you see in Disk Management? Here's screen shot with two externals plugged in my PC! They may need a drive letter or be formatted.
Capture48.JPG

Hi Terry! If you need further information, let me know!;) I think you are getting there! Lights and dingling sounds are good signs!:partay:
PS I forgot one thing! Can you see the flash in File Explorer? Sorry that would be Windows Explorer for W8.1

Last edited:
I must have more problems than I realized. I decided to log in here on my daughter's laptop to access the link in Kemical's response. The crazy thing is that I can not connect to this forum from her laptop. No matter how I try to reach this forum I get "This Page Can Not Be Displayed". They do not have anything (software) on their laptops that I do not have except what came from Acer already installed. I can get here on my laptop, my desktop, and my Ipad. No problem. I thought that maybe it is just an indication that there is more wrong with her laptop. I decided to try my other daughter's laptop. I have twin girls and they have the same make and model laptops. I cannot reach this forum with hers either. I am totally confused by this situation.

Read my post #14. Then read this by ESET! Here are just a few!
Symptoms of computer malware that affect the Internet:
  • You may receive the error "Internet Explorer could not display the page" when attempting to access certain websites
  • Your web browser (for example, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome) freezes, hangs or is unresponsive
  • Your web browser's default homepage is changed
  • Access to www.eset.com is blocked
  • You get redirected to web pages other than the one you intended to go to
  • You receive numerous web-browser pop-up messages
  • Strange or unexpected toolbars appear at the top of your web browser

How do I know if my computer is infected with a virus or other malware?—ESET Knowledgebase

I may have to format the hard drive and start from scratch. I have run both Malwarebytes and McAfee. I run both of those frequently on both of their computers. I just do not understand why this forum is the only site that I can not access on their computers.

IF the PCs are badly infected; which I'm thinking is very possible at this moment, back to factory may be the way to go.
Maybe other members will join us with more advise! Do you know how to restore the PCs back to factory!

I may have to format the hard drive and start from scratch. I have run both Malwarebytes and McAfee. I run both of those frequently on both of their computers. I just do not understand why this forum is the only site that I can not access on their computers.
PCs get infected in seconds. What did Malwarebytes show when you ran it. Is this the only site you can't access??
I need more information about all the problems you are having. What OSs are on the laptops?
We can run more malware scanners. I just need to know about all your problems!!!!! Before I can suggest things to do!

Back
Top Bottom