Windows 7 User Account Picture/Frame Removed from Logon Screen

swtdivalove

Just as the title suggests, I would like to remove the picture and frame entirely from the logon screen, but leave the logon as it is.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to do this? I've spent the better part of 2 hours trying to figure it out and researching this.

Just as the title suggests, I would like to remove the picture and frame entirely from the logon screen, but leave the logon as it is.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to do this? I've spent the better part of 2 hours trying to figure it out and researching this.

Just remove the entire logon secreen.

I can't remember where it's located, but all you have to do is uncheck the box to require a password on startup.

I'll try to locate it.

Try this, rich-click on the desktop, choose personalize, click the screen saver tab and uncheck on resume display logon.

There is a registry hack for autologon if you're interested. screen.

Or go To Control Panel > Power Options > System Settings and uncheck the box that states require a password

Last edited:
Nope... Already did that.

What I am talking about is you boot up your computer, and then you get to the logon screen you are presented the user account picture w/frame and the username/password fields. That's the picture/frame that I want to remove.

If it will remove both the picture and frame? YEP!

I'm a computer tech, so no worries about registry hacks. I know my way around pretty decently.

Copy and paste the following lines between the quotes and paste it into Notepad. Choose All files from thr drop down menu, name itwhatever you like and manually type the .reg ay the end of thr filename and save it to your desktop.

In Notepad, make sure you save in ANSI format.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultUsername"="yourusername"
"DefaultPassword"=""
"ForceAutoLogon"="1"

double-click on the .reg file to merge it into the registry,

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but that is to bypass the login completely.

That is not what he asking for though.

He wants to keep the login, but not have the picture and frame,,, He is asking for a Domain Login window, without adding the PC to a domain. I don't know if you can do that,,, haven't tried it. You may ahve to play around with "Client for Microsoft Networks" in LAN connection properties, among other things.

I think you will have to disable Fast User Switching and some other stuff. So you won't be able to have multiple users logged on the same system at the same time. You will have to log them out to login the next user. and unless you are an admin, you can't log someone out that is already logged in, so they own the system till you can, or hard shutdown. Also, they will lose all their unsaved data regardless of the method used..

Last edited:
If there's no picture or frame, how could he login?

I'll check with him to see if he has multiple accounts.

thanks.

Then maybe I am confused,,, but I am going by this statement ,,,,

remove the picture and frame entirely from the logon screen, but leave the logon as it is.
Which says to me what I already explained.

If you add the PC to a domain, you will get a different login screen. I want to say client for windows login screen. Not sure would have to look that up. Anyway, his statement did not say "Auto login" to me.

In other words,,, he wants the ability to be prompted for userid and password, but not ahve the pictures and frames,,, just the login box.

I would call this a theme-ing issue with the login screen (how to basically), otherwise, what I explained.

After further thought,, I think that is actually what they are asking for.... leave the login box, but get rid of the picture and frame. ,,,,, I don't think you can.

Last edited:
You can get rid of the picture,,,

Start \ search box
type group and open Edit Group Policy
Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Control Panel / User Accounts
Disable Apply the default user ..... blah blah" it's the only listing there.

And to get rid of the userID....

Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security options
Diable Interactive Logon: Do not Display last user name

but so far can't find a way to get rid of the frame.

May have to ResHack something. (basebrd.dll)?

This may help point you in the right direction,,, somewhat.

Log On Screen - Change or Remove Text Branding - Windows 7 Forums

But you hack this at your own risk.+

Last edited:
Back