Using windows server to backup laptops

TomX

I have been given an old server which has windows 2012R2 server installed there are 3 1tb hdd 1 with the OS and the other 2 are clean.
I would like to be able to use it to backup two windows 10 laptops one laptop is connected with ethernet one with WiFi. As I have never used a server I do not know where to start, can anyone give me some ideas of where to start.

If it's a closed network and your not worried about security you could do the following.

• Create a Read/Write share on the server with 'Everyone' with access to it.
  • Download USMT on both computers
  • Create a simple batch file that will execute USMT
  • Direct the backup to \\server\share_name\%COMPUTERNAME% directory
  • Run the batch file as a scheduled task for the backup frequency you want

USMT can be configure to backup anything
User State Migration Tool (USMT) Overview (Windows 10)

No USMT is to backup data only. If you want to do partition or disk images you'll need to use something like clonezilla or macrum

Back up a Windows Vista-based computer
  1. Click Start, type backup in the Start Search box, and then click Backup and Restore in the Programs list.
  2. Click Back up files under Back up files or your entire computer.
  3. Select where you want to store the file backup, and then click Next
And if not getting all this try the blog of Error code 0xc0000185 which helps you more in this.

How often you backing up these laptops? I assume there mobile. Seems like a better way. I would use free program like macrium or ghost to get point in time capture or image. Restore from image with bootable USB you create or make clone. IDK just my 2 cents

Back