Very small SSDs - Why?

Lighthouse

I'm shopping around for an SSD to replace my aging magnetic HDD in an old laptop. I see that they make SSDs as small as 8GB. How does that work? I'm guessing that you load your OS onto the small SSD and insert a separate HDD for files or just connect an external. But is 8 or even 16GB adequate for Windows? Seems to me like you would want a minimum of 128GB. But then those small SSDs are very cheap.

are you sure its not a sshd you are looking at? they are made by Seagate and move the software you use most to the ssd part... these are getting on now days and where made to get older systems working faster where new ssd drives will not be seen by older motherboards.
in any event yes small ssd = boot system only​

new ssd drives will not be seen by older motherboards
How old? I am thinking about putting a SSD drive in a Toshiba Satellite A205 with a 32 bit processor that originally had Windows Vista. So, yes, it's quite old. I was able to upgrade to Windows 10, but the magnetic hard drive is very slow and so I was considering a SSD.

Here is one of those very small SSDs that I was asking about. I think it's for a mini laptop.

Too old and I'd grab a new system like a n/m 580V but it is your money

A sshd will work on that old Vista motherboard but they are becoming harder to find

Sent from my SP9 using Windows Forums mobile app

Back
Top Bottom