Windows XP Very unusual usage in Windows Task Manager

TheNige

I have an issue with Windows Task Manager in an XP environment. Yeah, I know, upgrade or get a new PC. This machine is actually a cast-off, from someone else who got a new tower, but I was hoping to use it as a dual boot machine and make it last longer.

Anyway, I have an image to share, it's odd; not only is the usage very high, but there is this curious pattern of high usage followed by low usage, up and down like a yo-yo, very weird.

Any ideas what it is? I've tried all sorts of remedies to no avail.

Here is the image. .

windows task manager problem 1.JPG

windows task manager problem 1.JPG

Are you saying that you see this pattern with no applications loaded? Anything loaded at bootup that is running in the background? Do you see this if you boot in safe mode?

Switch from the "Performance" tab to the "Processes" tab and click the column header "CPU" once or twice to sort ascending or descending which ever you prefer and see what process has you tied up.

I get the pattern with no apps running. However, I have Airlink101 Cardbus and PCI Wireless LAN Utility running on StartUp to connect to the household wireless network. The connection doesn't seem to work properly, so I shut off the Utility to see what would happen and, of course I have no wireless connection but, I have no more wildy chaotic pattern. So the Wireless Utility seems to be the culprit... (likely).

If I use the other OS (dual boot) then this utility need never run. I guess the only question now is how much space does an old version of Windows XP sp3 need on the HDD? Can I get away with 10 GB if I'm not using it anyway?

Switch from the "Performance" tab to the "Processes" tab and click the column header "CPU" once or twice to sort ascending or descending which ever you prefer and see what process has you tied up.

The pattern was such that it effectively locked up the PC. So nothing appeared on the Processes tab that would give me a clue as to what was running. Once the PC was not locked up, this process wasn't running and so did not show on the Processes tab. Look carefully at the pattern: a sudden and precipitous increase in CPU usage was followed by an equally precipitous drop in CPU usage.

Good suggestion but in this case it was no help at all.

Once to took possession of the PC did you check the PC for virus's, malware, spyware, adware that may be lurking on the system.

Once to took possession of the PC did you check the PC for virus's, malware, spyware, adware that may be lurking on the system.

i installed an anti-virus program and ran it several times. Frankly, I've re-installed the Windows XP so many times now that those problems seem less likely. However, rootkit issues and the like are a little beyond me. The whole process of installing software has been made complicated by the failure of the wireless set up. I've had to put software on a USB on one PC and use the USB to install the software on the PC with the XP operating system.

I have discovered that if you have Windows XP (sp3) on your PC, without an internet connection, a whole host of free anti-virus, anti-malware possibilities go right out the window. And that's true even when people say it is not true.

Back