Windows 7 Video controller driver

davemac

Hey folks,

Just installed Windows 7 and I'm having a hard time getting it to recognize my graphics card. Actually I think I'm having a hard time getting it to recognize my AGP port. I've got a Giga-byte ga7n400 pro2, AMD Sempron 2600, 2gb ram, radeon 9250 video card. I've tried installing the chipset drivers and have gotten everything else on the motherboard working but it's just the Video controller that's not recognized. Tried to search from drivers from Windows update etc. but not luck. Any help would be greatlly appreciated, thanks.

ATI released Windows 7 drivers you can get them here Link Removed - Invalid URL. Your card is not specifically listed it's a rather old card, you might try grabbing a Vista version and installing straight out of the device manager by pointing it to the driver INF if that driver doesn't work for you.

Okay, so installing via AMD's drivers won't work, as the only drivers they list for that card are for XP.
So you can either try the XP drivers, isntalling them manually from Device manager, or you're SOL.

Sorry, mate.

Yeah, I've already tried those...sucks. Can't say I'm surprised because as you said...it's a pretty old card. I'll do some more poking around and see if I can find Vista drivers for the 9250, thanks for your help.

Wiat, you said you're having a problem with the AGP port, do you have unrecognized or problem devices in Device manager? If so which ones? I'd grab the Motherboard Manufacturer's Vista drivers and run the install in Vista Compat mode. Then try the Vista 9250 Drivers in Vista Compat mode as well. That should theoretically work.

Hey folks, just wanted to give you an update. Got home tonight and ran the chipset install under vista compatibility, this helped to add a bunch of Nforce2 stuff into Device manager then I installed the radeon 9250 from the XP .inf files. Working pretty good. I'm kind of curious to know iif I would have been able to just install straight from the inf without doing the chipset first but that's a better problem to have than the video card one. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
you m9ight have gotten the video drivers installed but I expect you would have had some interesting problems without the chipset drivers as well. Glad you got it all sorted out!

davemac, could you possibly explain to me the most layman's terms what you did to get that video card to work? my girlfriend has that card and it wont run the aero theme, though it does have 128MB memory. did you get the aero theme to work?

please reply, if i dont get that video card working, i'll have to re-install windows xp for her and seeing as i dont have any unused external hard drives i can't back up her data haha

Never got aero to work but that's cause I'm working on an older system which doesn't support Aero. What I did to get the card to work was install the Nvidia 2 chipset drivers under vista compatibility mode then installed went to update the video card driver manually and selected the .inf file.

Never got aero to work but that's cause I'm working on an older system which doesn't support Aero. What I did to get the card to work was install the Nvidia 2 chipset drivers under vista compatibility mode then installed went to update the video card driver manually and selected the .inf file.

hmm, well the card does work without those drivers i just was hoping that aero would end up working, do you think that there's any possibility of aero working on that card?

Thanks for the instructions

hey i had same problem... got it fixed in all with same solution... davemac... um do u use two moniters? win7 doesnt want to let it detect two at same time... but can switch screens via ati control panel. u had same problem?

Not sure, I haven't been using the computer that I posted about in a while. I installed W7 on a newer laptop I've got and it runs really nicely

Back