Windows 7 Virtual PC Installation problem

Jancsika

I have Windows 7 Build 7100 (Asus P5Q SB motherboard, Intel Q6600 processor, 4 Mb memory.)

Installed the XP Virtual PC. and the Windows XP mode. They seemed working fine.

Tried to increase the memory. (The 512 MB is not sufficient).

Followed instructions to exit the XP mode.

Got to the proper screen from Windows 7

But could not edit the memory size.

Figured that it might be an installation glitch.

Uninstalled the XP mode, then reinstalled it.

Same problem!!!

Figured that there might be something wrong with the download, I removed the all the directories and files that I could find in the Program Files folder.

Now when I am downloading VIRTUAL PC. RC step 2. It says that it is already installed.

Step 3 the WINDOWS XP MODE RC. Gets as far as the XP blue screen, but it gets stuck.
It appears to be installed, because it directed to download 17 XP updates, but the last dialog box of the installation process was still up.

Also the Windows XP mode does not appear in the Start Menu screen ( It was there the very first time but not since)

These are the files that I was able to find:
C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\Tutorial
C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\Windows XP Mode base.vhd
C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\VXPEULA.txt
C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\KEY.txt

In the control panel the Windows XP mode is being indicated as being installed.

Can you help, please.

First off, use system restore and restore your computer to the point prior to installing Virtual PC. Once the restore is complete, create a restore point and then try the install again, this time, install Virtual PC 2007 first, then XP Mode.

I was just talking to my manager about how to increase the 512mb memory limit in XP Mode about 10 minutes ago. He said you have to configure the settings from Windows 7 before you launch XP Mode. I'll take a look when I get home, but he said that there is a configurator in the program folder for Virtual PC and that you can access to adjust stuff like HDD space and how much memory allocated to XP Mode. After adjusting these settings, then you launch XP Mode.

I'll take a look at it tonight when I get off work in a few hours and let you know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response.
My main problem was, overly great self confidence and not enough knowledge.
I have just installed windows 7 and should have taken my time to get to know it better, before getting into uncherted waters.And of course read all the instructions.
I did the restore and will spend the next couple weeks learning it better.
Jancsika

No problem.

In order to adjust the memory for Virtual PC, do the following:

First, make sure you shut down your virtual PC.

Select ctrl+alt+del and then select Shutdown
8-21-20096-07-20PM.jpg

After XP Mode is shut down, click the Start Orb, and select Virtual PC, then click on Manage virtual machines

8-21-20095-44-50PM.jpg

Next, right-click on Windows XP Mode, then select settings

8-21-20095-47-54PM.jpg

From the left side, select memory and then adjust the memory on the right side, click OK when done

8-21-20095-58-17PM.jpg

Thanks for the instructions.
I have not started yet, but I have one more questions.

Reading the installation instructions I have noticed that it install the XP mode first, which is #3 on the download list, then installs the Virtual PC, which is #2.
I don't want to mess it up again, so can you clear this up for me.

I am really very grateful to you for the assistance:
Jancsika

Reading the installation instructions I have noticed that it install the XP mode first, which is #3 on the download list, then installs the Virtual PC, which is #2.
I don't want to mess it up again, so can you clear this up for me.

I'm not sure which instructions you followed or read, but I do know for a fact that Virtual PC and XP Mode are two separate downloads.

IF I'm not mistaken, you can't run XP Mode without Virtual PC, so it would make sense to install Virtual PC first. That's what I did and I didn't have one hiccup with the install. It went flawless. Once Virtual PC is installed, from there (clickin on the start orb, then Virtual PC, you'll then select XP Mode), you launch XP Mode.

Edit-
Designed primarily with small- and medium-sized businesses in mind, Windows XP Mode comes as a separate download and works only with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. Windows XP Mode also requires virtualization software such as Windows Virtual PC. Both are available free on the Microsoft website. [http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode]Source[/url]
Here's some detailed info on installing XP Mode: Installing Windows XP Mode for Virtual PC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom