Windows Vista Virus Screwed up Vista Bad (Vista Dummie)

achokshi

Ok I am not that much of a noob at computers and I am usually able to fix any sort of virus infected comp within a short period of time, however, my father's Dell laptop is a complete hassle (Again I am very new to Vista only use XP on all my personal comps). It is a Dell Vostro 1000 not really sure of all the specs, but all I know is it was bombarded with viruses mainly Security Guard or System Guard something like that (a fake virus scanner that is a virus). It is running 32-bit vista and I am having trouble doing anything on it. I try installing AVG Anti-Virus and after trying to run it it gives me an error of "side-by-side configuration is incorrect." I try Adaware SE Personal and it won't install. I have to usb all these items from a working computer because I can not connect to the internet on the laptop due to "the dependency service or group failed to start." I can not run any sfc/scannow in command prompt because it says "windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." I can really only run the computer in safe mode because if i try normal startup within 10 minutes I see a blue screen (of possible death!) with horizontal white lines that blink a lot and then it reboots. I am completely frustrated with this and really don't want to go through reinstalling the OS. Please help :(
^ If that is the only way to fix this just tell me its fine but I really want to fix it without re installing OS. BTW Not sure if this is in the right section; only my first post could possibly be in Security Zone. SAying sorry ahead of time if that's the case :(

Ok I am not that much of a noob at computers and I am usually able to fix any sort of virus infected comp within a short period of time, however, my father's Dell laptop is a complete hassle (Again I am very new to Vista only use XP on all my personal comps). It is a Dell Vostro 1000 not really sure of all the specs, but all I know is it was bombarded with viruses mainly Security Guard or System Guard something like that (a fake virus scanner that is a virus). It is running 32-bit vista and I am having trouble doing anything on it. I try installing AVG Anti-Virus and after trying to run it it gives me an error of \"side-by-side configuration is incorrect.\" I try Adaware SE Personal and it won't install. I have to usb all these items from a working computer because I can not connect to the internet on the laptop due to \"the dependency service or group failed to start.\" I can not run any sfc/scannow in command prompt because it says \"windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.\" I can really only run the computer in safe mode because if i try normal startup within 10 minutes I see a blue screen (of possible death!) with horizontal white lines that blink a lot and then it reboots. I am completely frustrated with this and really don't want to go through reinstalling the OS. Please help :(
^ If that is the only way to fix this just tell me its fine but I really want to fix it without re installing OS. BTW Not sure if this is in the right section; only my first post could possibly be in Security Zone. SAying sorry ahead of time if that's the case :(

The only thing I would suggest is to try another anti-virus utility.. Something like Avira as it's free....

Free antivirus - Avira AntiVir

If this fails as well as Celestras suggestions then a reformat may be your only course of action....

thank you for your replies and links. kemical I used Avira and it brought back stability to the system although not all since I couldn't update the virus detections but now I am connected to the Internet and in position to completely restore stability. Thank You Very Much!

The reason why I suggested another anti-virus utility is because sometimes one will work where another hasn't..

This could have been any 'other' utility, it's just that I suggested Avira first..

well also I definitely think the way AVG installed was different than Avira. AVG kept having a corrupt installation because of some error with the firewall which I could not tweak. Avira installed without any problems and scanned without any problems also :) Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom