Windows Vista Vista using too much memory

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
Recently I had been having problems with Vista using too much memory. Specifically such as start5ing IE8 when I had 2.5 gig's. memory free, only to find a short while later having say only 1.7 gig's free. Culled out a lot programs that I either was using or taking full advantage of and that helped for a while. But, after a system crash and a reinstall gee the old familiar registery corruption reared it's ugly head again. One thing I have never quite understand and would like to get a better handle on is why if something is uninstalled from you computer is so much of it left in the Windows Regisyery file. I though (or assumed anyway) that would be removed during an uninstall but, obviously I guess not.

Buy default vista is a ram hog, just all those default background task, try seeing what's else is being loaded at start-up and running the background, START, type RUN then MSCONFIG.

Thanks I will look at this morning. I take it that Vista Ultimate is probably a bigger ram hog than Vista Home Premium correct? If so, than I will stay with Home Premium. What I am really surprised at is I never caught this until just recently. I did find after reformatting the other day and reinstalling Home Premium Vista, much of this behavior went away. So maybe it was a corrupt or otherwise bad registry that was causing at least of the problems I was having.

Oh yes, I am going take heed here and not run the registry cleaner that often. Even if one is careful reistry cleaners can still bring on bad results.

I've found that using Revo or another uninstaller that will scan the registry for leftovers goes a long way to maintain a windows installation.It has it's dangers but if your religious about restore points and sensible about what you delete you should be okay.
Your escalating memory usage may not even be a real problem i think your seeing superfetch in action.If it is not causing a slow down i would let it go if it is causing a slow down or is really bothersome you can delete your superfetch folder and windows will start fresh.Just do some googling as to where to find it. Try superfetch restore or something like that.

Recently I had been having problems with Vista using too much memory. Specifically such as start5ing IE8 when I had 2.5 gig's. memory free, only to find a short while later having say only 1.7 gig's free. Culled out a lot programs that I either was using or taking full advantage of and that helped for a while. But, after a system crash and a reinstall gee the old familiar registery corruption reared it's ugly head again. One thing I have never quite understand and would like to get a better handle on is why if something is uninstalled from you computer is so much of it left in the Windows Regisyery file. I though (or assumed anyway) that would be removed during an uninstall but, obviously I guess not.

I used to have it similar, 1,9 occupied + 6 cached + 97 MB free ONLY= 8 Gb total. I disabled the superfetch (Control Panel > Classic View > Administrative > Services > Superfetch > Disable) and now it is 1,47 used + 1,63 cached + 6 free = 8 Gb total. You can set the service to stay disabled forever or just stop it manually. :)

I've found that using Revo or another uninstaller that will scan the registry for leftovers goes a long way to maintain a windows installation.It has it's dangers but if your religious about restore points and sensible about what you delete you should be okay.
Your escalating memory usage may not even be a real problem i think your seeing superfetch in action.If it is not causing a slow down i would let it go if it is causing a slow down or is really bothersome you can delete your superfetch folder and windows will start fresh.Just do some googling as to where to find it. Try superfetch restore or something like that.

ditto.....

As I've already stated Lorenkjr, unless your getting problems I wouldn't worry about it. If you see that your RAM is being used then surely thats a good thing? Whats the point of it sitting there and doing nothing?
If it is of a real concern though, I would take Cybercores suggestion of turning 'Superfetch' off..

As a very rough avrage I think I'd use around between 45 to 55% of my 2gb every time I use this thing, that's just for every days tasks, music, surfing the net, email.

Back
Top Bottom