Windows 8 Vmware crashes after updates

ussnorway

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Premium Supporter
If you use vmware workstation then you probably know the May (10.0.6) update is now available but be careful when you go to install it that the installer detects your virtual storage correctly.

vmware-crash.png

Symptom: vmware 10.0.6 crashes.

Effects: people whom have their Virtual storage (the folder vmware stores its v-machines in) someplace other than the default c drive path.

ignore.png

Fix
: there is no fix, as such and your only option is to un-install the vmware workstation (say no, you don't want to delete your license)… ignore vmwares' helpful suggestion of just running their repair tool AFTER you have vmware workstation up and going.

v-path.png

Work around: I repaired it by reverting to my old basic vmware 10.0.0 backup installer… setting the v-storage path back to the correct location then running the 10.0.6 installer/ patch over it. This time the installer/ patch accepted the correct path but I don't know why upgrading 10.0.0 works (for me) when 10.0.5 didn't.

Not sure what is going on here as I upgraded to VMWare Workstation 11 and won't be able to diagnose it. This looks like a pain. I'd recommend the upgrade, but the only true improvement I notice is better Windows 10 compatibility, and that is saying a lot since I truly do use the product quite regularly.

I'd recommend the upgrade, but the only true improvement I notice is better Windows 10 compatibility

Vmware workstaion 11 is a new license (i.e more $) that also gives you a bigger max cpu/ ram pool for people with high-end servers... the 10.0.6 patch is free for people with a 10 license and adds most {perhaps all?} the Windows 10 compatibility.

Back