Windows 7 W7 Completely Freezes on Boot

SamBenson

When I boot my Win 7 machine and logon the desktop loads just fine, but when I click on the start button it freezes and doesn't come back - I can't click on anything.

I think I've managed to narrow it down to being a problem with the DHCP service by disabling all services in msconfig and reenabling each one in turn. Everything was fine until I enabled the DHCP service - even starting manually after it has booted caused the issue to come back.

I'm stuck as to where to go from here though - any suggestions?

----------------------------

TSB SysInfo dump...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3063 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 231466 MB, Free - 189867 MB;
Motherboard: Packard Bell, imedia S3810
Antivirus: None

The DHCP service would not seem to be something that would freeze your system. Have you tried disabling the Network adapters to see if the problem continues? If it doesn't, perhaps get a new driver for the adapter.

If DHCP is actually involved, something might have corrupted it. If you can, open an administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow to check your system files. Let it run and report back if it shows any files it cannot repair.

If opening the start menu freezes things, you might be able to use explorer to go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and right click cmd.exe and select "Run as Admin".

Back