Windows 7 Want to go from Widows 7 32-bit to 64-bit

CliffCooper

I had a good (easy) install of W7 Home Premium from Vista. I chose 32 bit disk because thats what was running before. Can I upgrade to 64-bit? I checked the system performance detail and it says 64-bit is supported with my quad core processor?

Yep.. but if you have less than 4 gb memory it won't matter much... also when you go from 32 to 64 you have backup and do a clean install.

installing 64-bit with 32-bit dvd?

I was inform by some IT people that I would be able to install windows 7 64-bit with my windows 7 32-bit disc.

Is this true?

If true, How would I go about doing this?

I was inform by some IT people that I would be able to install windows 7 64-bit with my windows 7 32-bit disc.

Is this true?

If true, How would I go about doing this?

Some IT people don't have a clue. 64 is as different internally form 32 as a totally different operating system.

That's why you have to get either 32 or 64 bit disk.

BTW you can download a 64 bit version and as long as your key matches... for example you have to install Professional 64 bit if your key is for Professional 32... it will work for either.

do you know where i can download it at?

Links in my last blog... direct from Microsoft.. make sure you get the version that matches your key or it won't activate

also if you have an UPGRADE key you have to delete ie.cfg from the iso so it will accept the key after install.. the links are for the full vesion.

Back