Windows 7 Want to have Properties button in Explorer as in XP

Bigga

I used to place Properties button on Explorer bar near back/forward/up buttons. So I can click on folder/disk for example and then click that Properties button and their properties windows would appear. It is very convenient.

In Win7 I can't do it. Is there any way?

I used to place Properties button on Explorer bar near back/forward/up buttons. So I can click on folder/disk for example and then click that Properties button and their properties windows would appear. It is very convenient.

In Win7 I can't do it. Is there any way?

For me the 'Properties' button is there by default in W7. Once you left-click on a file/folder then the button appears. Why not just right-click on the file/folder and select 'Properties' that way?

Capture-1.png

Hmm. Look on my mine:
Link Removed due to 404 Error
This are the buttons I see when I select a folder (from left to right): Organize, Include in Library, Share, Burn, New folder

So no Proerpties button, neither when I select a disk.

Is it beacause I'm using RC?

P.S. When I see this - the folder is selected in Tree (which is on the left).

Last edited:
Yes I get the same now that I've tried it out properly. I only get the 'Properties' option when in the 'Computer' part of explorer, outside of that I don't get it at all. I have no option but to right-click and get to it that way. There is an alternative though. If you go to 'Organise' and then 'Folder and Search Options', click the 'View' tab and then tick, 'Always show menus'. This will add the menu bar to explorer and you can use 'File > Properties' that way.

I have no option but to right-click and get to it that way.

... and you can use 'File > Properties' that way.
Yes, but in these both cases it is 2 clicks instead of 1 (which is in XP). That's why I'm looking for a way to place a properties button.

Yes, but in these both cases it is 2 clicks instead of 1 (which is in XP). That's why I'm looking for a way to place a properties button.

How is it only one click in XP? I used XP for 8 years and always had to either

1. Right-click > Properties (2 clicks)
2. Select file/folder with left-click > File > Properties (3 clicks)
3. Select file/folder with left-click > Alt+Enter (1 click + keyboard shortcut)

The only thing was the 'Details' pane -

Why do you need to get into 'Properties' in the first place. What information is it that you are trying to collect?

How is it only one click in XP? I used XP for 8 years and always had to either

1. Right-click > Properties (2 clicks)
2. Select file/folder with left-click > File > Properties (3 clicks)
3. Select file/folder with left-click > Alt+Enter (1 click + keyboard shortcut)
Why do you need to get into 'Properties' in the first place. What information is it that you are trying to collect?
Well, that's the power of XP, you didn't even know about :)

See that button on the right - it's Properties Button.

What I wanna know - is everything that displays in that properties window - size, last modified/access date, count of files - that's just how I used to use explorer. That's why I wanna that button back.

PS Alt+Enter doesn't work on disks in win7 & anyways I don't wanna use keyboard in that case...

I have never seen that 'Properties' icon in my life. I actually just installed XP mode and it isn't present. I also loaded up XP on my Virtualbox and it isn't available there either? Both are clean installs with no tweaks made.

Even with the button in the window it requires you to click on the file/folder first and then click the 'Properties' button, so still 2 clicks. I don't see why you don't just right-click > Properties? I guess it would be good to have the button on the bar permanently though.

I have searched everywhere that I can think of to make explorer always show the 'Properties' button but no luck :(

I have never seen that 'Properties' icon in my life. I actually just installed XP mode and it isn't present. I also loaded up XP on my Virtualbox and it isn't available there either? Both are clean installs with no tweaks made.
Just right click on that toolbar where all the buttons are, then "customize" - I guess it will be so on English version, and then scroll down the left panel 'til you find this button.

PS I've been using this button since 2002 :) so it's very annoying to me to not to have it in win7.
Even with the button in the window it requires you to click on the file/folder first and then click the 'Properties' button, so still 2 clicks.
Well yeah, but without it - it's 3 clicks: select folder, right click, click on properties.

Well yeah, but without it - it's 3 clicks: select folder, right click, click on properties.

Not to be pedantic but it's only 2. Right-click > Properties.

Anyway, it still doesn't address the problem. Hopefully someone figures out how to permanently fix the 'Properties' button to the ribbon.

Back
Top Bottom