Windows 8 Webpages wont load on any browser

angel38122

I have an Asus x55 laptop with Windows 8.1. It says that it's connecting to the internet, but whenever I tried to load a webpage, it'll say that the webpage is not available. I tried on both Chrome, firefox, and IE, but the problem persists.
I've tried restarting the computer multiple times , but no dice. Any ideas on how to fix this issue, or is it a lost cause?

Hi,
Most likely you are connecting the laptop to the Internet via Wi-Fi; so you should check that your laptop's Wi-Fi is properly enabled and turned on. Many older laptops had a slide-switch on the front or sides that can turn this Wi-Fi function on or off. Most laptops built since 2009 got rid of the switch, and you have to use a combo keystroke consisting of something like <Fn-key+F5> or <Windows-logo-key+F7> or somesuch. Go to the ASUS website, and search for the Owners Manual for your exact Model and it will tell you what this keyboard combo is; I suggest you turn it off, and then turn it on again. Most laptops and notebooks have a little white, amber, or blue LED somewhere to indicate your Wi-Fi is turned on and working with your wireless router in your home or apartment.

Also, we would need your COMPLETE model number; it turns out there are 4 or 5-X55 models, so you need to look closer on the tag on the bottom of the laptop, or on the Receipt from the place or person you purchased it from, if you bought it brand new. We can then assist with looking up your Owners Manual, and helping you find it easily by providing you a link here you can click on to get the manual. I suggest you get a Tech savvy friend or family-member or co-worker to assist you with this.

Once you get the correct key combo; you can disable and then re-enable your Wi-Fi and all your browsers should then work with the Internet once again! :up: Remember to look for the little colored LED light on the laptop somewhere indicating your Wi-Fi is enabled and working. Alas, on brand new laptops and netbooks, manufacturers are removing this feature these days :waah:; as my brand new Dell Inspiron 11 attests to; it has no Wi-Fi LED on it. :( Once you can download your Owners Manual for your EXACT laptop, you'll be able to tell where the Wi-Fi LED is located on your model, or if you even have one.

This will most likely fix your problem--especially if your laptop is one that has a physical slide-switch on it; as I have that on my 8-year old Sony laptop, and whenever I take it with me on the road, I often slide it off inadvertently getting it into and out of it's laptop bag! :redface: Fortunately, this model has a nice GREEN LED that tells me when my Wi-Fi is working. :D If my Green LED is off; then I probably bumped the switch off, and I get no Wi-Fi and thus not Internet! Netflix also tells me this too! :hide:

If you still can't seem to get it working, you most likely installed a new program or a Windows Update came into your computer that turned off your Wi-Fi, or your laptop was attacked by a nasty virus/malware. To check this, you should FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!

Then proceed to run whatever AV (Antivirus) program is installed on your laptop (Norton, Avast, McAfee, etc.) and scan/remove all viruses. Reboot and retest your browsers for Internet. If it works, you had a virus and it damaged your software that is needed to make your Wi-Fi work.:up:

If the problem persists, download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware program from here: malwarebytes.org. Then scan/remove all found spyware viruses, reboot and retest your browsers for Internet. If it works; you had a spyware virus causing your problem, and it is now fixed! :up:

If the problem still persists, you then most likely are suffering from Windows corruption, possibly from removing 1 or more viruses from your laptop. The best way to fix this is to use the built-in Windows SYSTEM RESTORE and "rollback" your laptop prior to when it stopped working on the Internet, possibly a few weeks or a few months back. If your Internet is restored, you've solved whatever problem there was with Windows and you're good to go! :up:

If none of these work; it's possibly you are experiencing a hardware failure such as a hard drive failure, or a failure of the Wi-Fi chip that lives on the main circuit board inside your laptop. That's a $150 US repair to replace that, but only a $15 part. It's best to pay a professional Computer Tech to do this for you. If you can't afford that; buy a Cisco/Linksys or Netgear external USB plug-in adapter and use that to test your Wi-Fi. I use this one a lot to solve laptop Wi-Fi failures: Amazon.com: NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Adapter WNDA3100 v3: Electronics. If that works, then you can just continue to operate that way, but you have to remember to take that USB Wi-Fi adapter with you whenever you leave your home or apartment and take your laptop on the road. If you don't you will no longer have Wi-Fi for that laptop.

If you get stuck or have further questions, post back. We are here 24x7x365.:)

Best of luck,
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>:D

I have an Asus x55 laptop with Windows 8.1. It says that it's connecting to the internet, but whenever I tried to load a webpage, it'll say that the webpage is not available. I tried on both Chrome, firefox, and IE, but the problem persists.
I've tried restarting the computer multiple times , but no dice. Any ideas on how to fix this issue, or is it a lost cause?
I have the same problem but I can get a Net connection back if I restart.
I CAN access the Net via Thunderbird when this happens.
This happens several times a day and I can work the Net for hours sometimes. I have replaced the Net Adapter--no change-Reset modem and router-no change.
Win 8.1
64 Bit HP 2 years old

I am unfortunately working two threads here.
Ref the loss of Net access---I have a laptop on the same home network and it has NO PROBLEM with the Net.

Run the script from reply #2 on upload the output on your desktop. You may need to sneaker net it if it's not connecting.

yes its safe... for w8.1 the steps are;
  • download zip-file
  • unblock the zip file then unzip it
Screenshot (733).png

• click the batch file to run it... will make a notepad file on your desktop with the network settings listed
Screenshot (734).png

yes its safe... for w8.1 the steps are;
  • download zip-file
  • unblock the zip file then unzip it
View attachment 34448

• click the batch file to run it... will make a notepad file on your desktop with the network settings listed
View attachment 34449
I did this and the log flashes on the screen and then disappears. I did not have Notepad on my computer so downloaded Notepad++. Still no Notepad file present.

Try opening a command prompt, cd to your desktop cd %userprofile%\desktop then type in the .bat file name and hit enter to run it. If it's erroring out copy and paste the errors

Try opening a command prompt, cd to your desktop cd %userprofile%\desktop then type in the .bat file name and hit enter to run it. If it's erroring out copy and paste the errors

With the cd ( cd %userprofile%\desktop) (I get a can't find file--Without it, it opens Explorer. If I run the .bat file I get the same thing, flashed on the screen and then gone.

FYI--I have used computers since the Commodore PET but don't do much Windows system stuff. Also, I am hardwired on this machine and my laptop, which is not affected by this problem. When my DT can't find the internet, I restart and it is fine for a while.

Are you in command prompt or powershell. That command won't work in powershell, but should work on any Windows system as long as your in command prompt.

Are you in command prompt or powershell. That command won't work in powershell, but should work on any Windows system as long as your in command prompt.
I am in Command, don't know about Powershell.
I am trying to understand why the log flashes on the screen and then disappears. Is it looking for a non-existent Ap?

@Billjohn: Did you buy this computer used? Or are you original owner? It sounds quite weird that your Notepad is missing. If you didn't remove it, it was removed or corrupted by a virus/malware most likely. Did you scan for viruses using your AV program installed on that computer yet? If not, you should do so. Make sure to backup all your Personal Data to external media if you haven't done so already as in my Post above prior to attempting any virus repairs--they often can lead to irretrievable data loss!!:headache:

Scan/remove all found viruses; then download the free MALWAREBYTES from piriform.com and scan/remove all found spyware viruses. Power off your computer for 5 min. and reboot. If the problem abates, you simply had a virus and you are set to go!:up:

If this doesn't work; post back and we can advise you further, or you can re-read my Post for the OP.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Go to cmd
then type ping 192.168.1.1
if you get the reply on this laptop
this means your router configuration fine
then if you get during that time
no reply
then you config your modem
make sure you plug your network device perfectly
check your network driver too

Back
Top Bottom