Windows 7 Weirdest BSOD I've hard, crashed if the midi-tower is standing straight

asafaq

Honorable Member
Hello Forums!

Yup as the title states, my computer crashes before windows loads unless the midi-tower is on its side and the motherboard is horizontal. My suspests would be memory problems, but I've used memtest.exe on several occations and it never found an error. Also ran chkdsk because I've had HD problems before, no errors on system/boot partition. I would appreciate any help.

BSOD
Link Removed due to 404 Error

minidump:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Also, is it harmful for the HD to run vertical to the ground?

But which side? left side down or right side down??

Oh, and Welcome to The Forum asafaq.

Is it a self build or a pre-built system?

Please see: How to ask for help with a BSOD problem Following Method 2:
Download
and run the SF Diagnostics Tool. Right click the SF Diag tool and select Run as Administrator before running. When the reports have been created, zip them up and attach to a post.

Download and run CPU-Z. Take screenshots**/snips of the CPU tab, Mainboard tab, Memory tab and all the slot #'s under the SPD tab.
Go to Post Reply, click on the Go Advanced button and attach the screenshots**/snips to your post for all the RAM experts to see by using the paper clip you will find on the top toolbar. Do not zip them up.
If screenshots, please crop.

Also see: http://windows7forums.com/blue-scre...lp-us-help-you-filling-your-system-specs.html

When attaching dmp files, PLEASE put them in a single zipped folder

Last edited:
Oh, sorry about that. I'll fix it right up.

Also, I've noticed the word 'error' mysteriously vanished from my original post.

And the mini-tower is on its right side, with motherboard horizontal and top is upwards.

The problem would seem to indicate
my computer crashes before windows loads unless the midi-tower is on its side and the motherboard is horizontal
a potential issue with your physical configuration.
Perhaps an addon card that does not remain seated properly when the machine is vertical or a drive interface or power connection that is not firmly secure or perhaps even an issue with the PSU and its' leads to your MoBo and other physical hardware devices that are not firmly in place. Additionally it could indicate a or several poorly soldered joints or damaged physical copper tracings or even a loose mounting screw or MoBo offset behind the board resulting in a possible short.
I suspect that since the Blue Screen issue is dependent on the position of the case and its' components that attempting to diagnose this problem as a typical Blue Screen issue might be premature until such time as the machine reliably blue screens regardless of its' relative position.
And no there is no problem running a hard drive vertically or perpendicular to the ground.
Regards
Randy

EDIT: And the likely cause of the word "er ror" vanishing from your post is due to Ad Blocker software that you may be running on your local machine within your browser.

Last edited:
Alright guys. Btw, being new here, this place seems really well managed so thumb up and bro fist for that.Also enabled ads for the site.I got this computer from my brother several years back, and added my hard drive, and replaced a bad memory stick, so its self built in a way.Didn't realize I'd need such a comprehensive analysis, so I'll say this - I hate to hear like a bad case of 'Tales from IT', but there was a SATA driver problem for forever on devmgmt, but it never seemed to make a difference.I've also suspected this to be a loose power cable, but everything is in place.

Attachments

• Seven Forums.rar
    363.2 KB · Views: 261
  • cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Yeah I'm so sorry, never been to a forum so well organized and managed. Really. Updating this now.
Oh, I wouldn't go that far! But the more info we have, without constantly asking questions, the better. A newbie to the thread will have all info to hand. :D

I've also suspected this to be a loose power cable, but everything is in place.
And I originally had issues with my pc freezing / bsod'ing, until I replaced the "OEM" Sata cable for the HDD with an after market job. In other words, check the cables!

Last edited:
As you say, this a is a well old pc! Even intel Have "forgot it!"
Notice :
End of interactive support announcement. Read More >
+Notice : End of Interactive Support

I'd seriously think about updating your 2007 bios to the latest available (even though it will say vista). There's also your mismatched ram to think about............

Sadly, sometimes, you have to say "I've had my monies worth out of you, time to say bye bye." But if we can keep it dragging and screaming into life, we will!!

Well, the update is this:

I've changed the SATA cable, then positioned the mini-tower standing, and started the computer, went into bios and waited on it to question out physical problems. After about 7-8 minutes output went off on the display. Any idea where to go from here?

Well, the update is this:

I've changed the SATA cable, then positioned the mini-tower standing, and started the computer, went into bios and waited on it to question out physical problems. After about 7-8 minutes output went off on the display. Any idea where to go from here?
Not exactly sure what that means, but......
What happens when you place the machine back on its' side again? Does in boot normally?

I meant, plainly, that the box stand now and I didn't let it go into window. Went into bios settings and it crashed.

ATM, I've changed memory to matching sticks, it's 5/5/5/18/21 now. I've also updates the bios. The machine was on it's side so it wouldn't crash during uPdate. Now that it's done I guess I'll test it standing. If it won't work has to be a cable /undercarriage / physical right?

If nobody minds, I'll jump in. If I were you I'd dismantle the machine completely and then rebuild it checking each connection as I went. This could be as simple as video card badly seated or short of some kind between case and mobo.

NmsUK

That I will.

I suppose it would have to be a minimal components run first, even without HD and a single memory, than adding everything one by one. Got any quick guide for that?

edit: Also, would it be wise to take the mother board out of the case to clean its back side from dust? Is there any danger by doing so because I would hate to bork my only working machine as its all I am affording atm.

Last edited:
Another suggestion thrown in. As it operates in the side position, it obviously was a hardware insertion ptoblem. You then came up with the No11 post. Now that looks like an overheating problem. This , in my imagination, together with the odd previous behaviour, (Stopped after 8 minutes) points straight at a cooling fan, either loose or with a worn out bearing. Do you have a cooling fan on the Graphics card? I would have a look at all that you have and ensure they are turning.

Another suggestion thrown in. As it operates in the side position, it obviously was a hardware insertion ptoblem. You then came up with the No11 post. Now that looks like an overheating problem. This , in my imagination, together with the odd previous behaviour, (Stopped after 8 minutes) points straight at a cooling fan, either loose or with a worn out bearing. Do you have a cooling fan on the Graphics card? I would have a look at all that you have and ensure they are turning.

No I don't, the graphics card hits 65c. But as the bad case of 'tales from IT', "It has always been like that" :(, it a problem but not the cause to this specific problem

I have a fan but I don't have the MOLEX (fan side) to 3-Pin connector (Motherboard side) so it doesn't run atm.

I'd remove the MoBo and make sure all the "stand offs" are in the right position and there are no extra ones installed to possibly create shorts. Though in the latter case I would have expected it to short out your Mobo and render it into a fancy place mat.

Back