Windows 7 Welcome screen and others default to 300x400 or very low resolution

ajkessel

I've been using Windows 7 64-bit on my Thinkpad X61 for several months without problem. (I am up to date with the released version of the OS). Recently, it started booting into very low resolution mode -- only about a quarter of the welcome screen is visible. Within this small view, the mouse pointer can only move in the top half of the screen.

I'm able to log on "blind" and then my desktop is also on low resolution. If I hit WIN-P and choose "duplicate" display (even without an external display plugged in) I am restored to the normal resolution for the laptop, 1024x768. If I then close and open the laptop, however, it is returned to the very low resolution mode.

I am also getting very low resolution (300x400) on my external 1680x1050 LCD monitor unless my laptop is also open and I am in dual display.

Likewise, coming back from sleep, suspend, or hibernate, puts me back into the very low resolution mode.

I don't believe I've changed anything in the system in the last several weeks.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot? I've searched around for this problem and not found it precisely.

Video card is Intel 965 Express. Driver Version 8.15.10.1867 8/6/09.

My installation is fully up to date with all Windows Updates and is constantly updated for virus software (eSet).

Last edited:
Unfortunately that driver won't install for me. I get this error message:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer. Setup will exit.

But Lenovo has no 965GM video driver for Windows 7 -- the latest one available on the Lenovo website is for Vista and won't run here either.

Any workarounds?

That seems to only be a monitor driver, not video card. I did try installing it, but the problem remains the same.

I extracted from the video driver that you couldn't install, from Intel's site.

Download from my link. Extract to a folder. Copy/paste the included .sys file over the one at C:\Windows\System32\drivers and then reboot.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I'm reluctant to override the standard installation routes. Also, it doesn't really make sense, since everything was working fine for several months and then spontaneously stopped working. How sure are you this is a driver issue?

Alright, everything is not working fine now, obviously. There is an excellent chance that updating the driver will fix it. If I include to do something in a post, it should be followed to have best chances of success. That's the best way I can say it.

Can I guarantee success? Of course not.

Can I guarantee you'll be better off, regardless? For sure.

Actually, it looks like I'm using a more recent version -- the installed driver is 8.15.10.1867, the one you posted is 8.14.10.1930.

It really seems like the problem here is the OS has recorded the wrong default resolution setup. Switching to "duplicate" mode (panel/external LCD) fixes it. So is there some way to reset what resolution settings are retained, to start fresh?

Actually, it looks like I'm using a more recent version -- the installed driver is 8.15.10.1867, the one you posted is 8.14.10.1930.

It really seems like the problem here is the OS has recorded the wrong default resolution setup. Switching to "duplicate" mode (panel/external LCD) fixes it. So is there some way to reset what resolution settings are retained, to start fresh?

I seem to have found a fix! I installed a tool that switches resolution by hotkey. Then Win-P to disconnect projector -- screen is at 300x400. Used hotkey to switch back to 1024x768. Now the setting has stuck, including on reboot.

Back