Windows 7 What features do you want to see in Windows Vienna?

Matt

Well, let me think...

I would say, more security. Very important.
A new interface would be nice, the "Start" philosophy is starting to get old. I have heard that there will be "pie" menus in Vista, so looks like this will be in Vienna.
More efficient memory usage. IMO, Windows Vista uses way too much memory. I think Vienna has to be more memory efficient, so that it is faster.

Customizing the names of start menus instantly instead of having to edit the registry. I tried editing the registry, it was hard.
You could make it say something like:
My Ass

They should also include a new version of Internet Explorer that doesn't suck like IE7 does.. More virus protection, built in pop-up blockers, etc.
And maybe MS Visual Basic included.
I have IE7, it's really slow. No wonder people say "Internet Exploder" and "Micros**t" and "Winblows Me"

SeanTrek said:
Customizing the names of start menus instantly instead of having to edit the registry. I tried editing the registry, it was hard.
You could make it say something like:
My Ass
There are more things to customize. Try out Window Blinds.
SeanTrek said:
They should also include a new version of Internet Explorer that doesn't suck like IE7 does.. More virus protection, built in pop-up blockers, etc.
But most of all IE8 should support HTML 4.0 and xHTML and CSS and all the other standards!!!!!
even IE7 doesn't do so :(

SeanTrek said:
And maybe MS Visual Basic included.
Visual Basic IS already included in the System - think on the Windows Scripting Host (WSH).
Also Visual Basic is evolved into .NET, which is included in Vista and available as Update for Windows XP too.

Maybe you want Visual Studio Express to ship with the system.
SeanTrek said:
I have IE7, it's really slow. No wonder people say \"Internet Exploder\" and \"Micros**t\" and \"Winblows Me\"
Time to get Firefox or Opera. :D

MovGP0 said:
SeanTrek said:
But most of all IE8 should support HTML 4.0 and xHTML and CSS and all the other standards!!!!!
even IE7 doesn't do so :(
Yes, I think IE must be compatible with the standards. It's annoying to have to make changes to make it work with both. For example, my wiki skin's javascript doesn't work with IE7.

MovGP0 said:
SeanTrek said:
I have IE7, it's really slow. No wonder people say \"Internet Exploder\" and \"Micros**t\" and \"Winblows Me\"
Time to get Firefox or Opera. :D
Most poeple use Firefox, like me. Thought I don't like that it uses a lot of memory at times. That is the reason that I like Opera, and may switch to it.

I want to see features in vienna to have new icon view: Visual Browsing, it is like on Encarta and works like on Mac OS X Leopard that you can have a live preview,watch videos and read PDF,Doc,TXT,Web pages and more with a elegant animation and effects; I want also to change the way of taskbar when you minimize windows, instead make it when you minimize a window it will minimized into shrinked window with in live preview, with this you don't need to point just to see its live preview.

What do you think? :)

RE: What features do you want to see in Windows Vienna / Windows 7?

I'd like to see them scrapping aero and either going back the XP look or making something that isn't so ridiculously bloated.

I really wuold hate them when they could revert to the old look,you are really old fashioned...

I would like something that would be such a big change that they couldn't compare Vienna to the older OS-es...

The General said:
I'd like to see them scrapping aero and either going back the XP look or making something that isn't so ridiculously bloated.

These interfaces are very lame. Why should there a interface that is proven to be lame rather than giving it a complete new interface that does the work properly?

Examples:
  • Why do common users have some hundreds icons on their desktop? The answer of "finding the stuff" does not apply to me, because its hard to find the proper stuff out of a mess. Also the icons are mostly not accessible when there is even only a single window opened. Innovations like BumpTop - as good as it is - are just a hack.
  • Common users have thousands of folders, each containing only a single link to a program, but a link to the uninstaller, manual, vendor website, update website, etc. and serval subfolders with additioal tool software doing the same way? Why can't there just be the program-link or no specialized application at all?
  • Common users are using the E-Mail program for filetransfer and chatting, which is not working well. Advanced users are using multiple Messenger Applications and multiple File-Sharing-Software, which works well but is complex. Why can't there just be a single application that can handle all message types well?

A real innovative destop should not only change the current interface, but also change the philosophy behind:
  • Working with semantic information rather than with plain text.
  • Working with types of information rather than filetypes.
  • Working with handlers (components; plugins) rather than capsulated applications.

MovGP0 said:
  • Why do common users have some hundreds icons on their desktop? The answer of \"finding the stuff\" does not apply to me, because its hard to find the proper stuff out of a mess. Also the icons are mostly not accessible when there is even only a single window opened. Innovations like BumpTop - as good as it is - are just a hack.

I think that part of this problem also has to do with the way the user the uses the PC, no offense meant. I normally have only about 2 icons on the desktop. How? I organize all the files into folders in "My Documents" such as Downloads and Site Files.

Windows 7 will also have a new UI that is totally redesigned, so hopefully this will be changed for the better by then.

Common users have thousands of folders, each containing only a single link to a program, but a link to the uninstaller, manual, vendor website, update website, etc. and several subfolders with additional tool software doing the same way? Why can't there just be the program-link or no specialized application at all?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'm assuming the way that the app files are stored in Program Files and the shortcuts in the Start Menu Folder.

My personal opinion is that this can stay the way it is, but a simpler installation method would be cool, like the way that you just drag files to the app folder, or Ubuntu's app-get application library. I think that this would be a very good idea, the Ubuntu imho is the best because it's the simplest.

* Common users are using the E-Mail program for filetransfer and chatting, which is not working well. Advanced users are using multiple Messenger Applications and multiple File-Sharing-Software, which works well but is complex. Why can't there just be a single application that can handle all message types well?

I agree that's a good idea, but there are quite a few problems to it's implementation. Partly, in terms of messenger, it would most likely work only on one platform, such as Windows or Linux. But if there are more partnerships like the WLM/Yahoo messenger partnership, I think this would be something that would be good.
The General said:

Chaoswarrior said:
I really would hate them when they could revert to the old look,you are really old fashioned...

I would like something that would be such a big change that they couldn't compare Vienna to the older OS-es...

I agree with Chaoswarrior, that the AERO look should stay, along with fancy graphics. I think it's mainly in the core code that they should reduce the bloat.

I think they should remove the limit of 4gb ram if they didn't do it with Vista(i really don't know)...

There should be something to help people from movig files from one computer but two different OS-es,like i want to upgrade my Vista to Vienna and don't want to have trouble with reinstalling all the programs...

Matt said:
MovGP0 said:
Common users have thousands of folders, each containing only a single link to a program, but a link to the uninstaller, manual, vendor website, update website, etc. and several subfolders with additional tool software doing the same way? Why can't there just be the program-link or no specialized application at all?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'm assuming the way that the app files are stored in Program Files and the shortcuts in the Start Menu Folder.

My personal opinion is that this can stay the way it is, but a simpler installation method would be cool, like the way that you just drag files to the app folder, or Ubuntu's app-get application library. I think that this would be a very good idea, the Ubuntu imho is the best because it's the simplest.

True, I was refering mostly to the Start-Menu-Folder here.

I prefer the way as Ubuntu makes it:
  • Folders that are refering to what the app is for (office, multimedia, etc.)
  • Repositories that give a list of good software.

The Repositories should better ship as XML File that gives a location of the software, a description, a download-link (including P2P links too, but in that case probably needs some reference to fitting P2P software)

Matt said:
MovGP0 said:
* Common users are using the E-Mail program for filetransfer and chatting, which is not working well. Advanced users are using multiple Messenger Applications and multiple File-Sharing-Software, which works well but is complex. Why can't there just be a single application that can handle all message types well?

I agree that's a good idea, but there are quite a few problems to it's implementation. Partly, in terms of messenger, it would most likely work only on one platform, such as Windows or Linux. But if there are more partnerships like the WLM/Yahoo messenger partnership, I think this would be something that would be good.
The General said:

The implementation is a problem because there is a lack of standards. There should be more standard for the interfaces like the ones for mutlimedia-codecs. A properly coded codec can get used from every properly implemented player.

So you can install a bulk of codecs you want to use and some players. Even you are using different codecs you keep the choise which player you prefer. I think this principle should apply to all kind of software.

Matt said:
Chaoswarrior said:
I really would hate them when they could revert to the old look,you are really old fashioned...

I agree with Chaoswarrior, that the AERO look should stay, along with fancy graphics. I think it's mainly in the core code that they should reduce the bloat.

The basic use of a computer has not changed since the . It is time for a new approach. I even don't think that 3D Interfaces are so different. As impressive they are, they are mostly nice to look at.

Also Multitouch interfaces are hyped now. I've already tested the huge Multi Touch Console and the iPhone (thanks to 72dpiarmy) and got very impressed, but there is still a lack of good use cases. Most use cases can be done equaly good with a normal touchscreen. There is more potential in this interface type. Imagine a , but with two (or even more) hands at once (if you are looking the video, imagine using the 2nd hand for getting the window from the back in front or switch the music played from the player in the background).

Also, semantic technologies have the most potential to completly change the way we think about using a computer. I think this is most reasonable after reading "Chapter 2: Design Philosophy" of Haystack's User Interface Framework: Tutorial and Reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

i want to see efficiency. remove all of the bloatware that was been gathering dust in the deepest darkest corners of the win 3.1 and 95 days. Do like OS X and clear out everything that is outdated. Linux breaks things every time it does a kernel upgrade in order to keep it efficient and lean, the least microsoft can do is cut dead code every decade or two...

I think that it good about cleaning everything out. They have apparently done that with WinMin Removing the bloatware is good, but it's difficult for them to do it, as it's the computer mfg. that preloads it, such as Gateway and Dell. I think they only way that they could do it is if they made their own computers.

Yeah, Windows 7 must be clean every bloated that came since Windows NT 3 or earlier...yet MS says that they started from scratch and the new kind of kernel has been made...WinMin
I think Windows 7 will really include WinFS that it was pulled out in Longhorn, It looks like this will be revolutionary in file systems...hoping also in hardware, to make boot Windows 7 less in time, I think PC MOBO will implement EFI and replace old BIOS tech...like on Mac's that they use EFI.

Yeah, EFI looks better from what I see. Time to get rid of all the legacy code in Windows 7.

I would like to see it redesigned from the ground up, and built to be more than a "simple UI" like it is now.
Vista is a joke, it's basically XP with a facelift. I want a change like from 98 to XP (Cause we all know we don't count ME or 2k).

Not really, Vista is a pretty major change from XP, and a lot of that is under the hood. They made a lot of changes to the code, which made Windows Vista a good deal more secure (proof of this is the amount of security updates for Vista).

There should be a new "pie" UI, though we won't see that till like M3 at least.

Anyway, they should create a new kernel, and then use Hyper-V to run legacy apps.

Matt said:
I think that it good about cleaning everything out. They have apparently done that with WinMin Removing the bloatware is good, but it's difficult for them to do it, as it's the computer mfg. that preloads it, such as Gateway and Dell. I think they only way that they could do it is if they made their own computers.

Yeah,but still,Microsoft was also making some ''bloatware'' in their kernel by themselves...

So, like remove IE from being integrated in Windows? Yeah, that sounds like a good idea to me.

Back